Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 11-14-2005, 04:55 PM   #1
nonmoalero
V.I.P. Member

nonmoalero is an unknown quantity at this point
First off, I am a newbie, so please go easy on my ignorance .

I have been reading a lot of posts lately about exhausts since I am interested in upgrading mine, and am doing some research while I save up $. So, I thought I would check out what they have on PFYC's website. I found the Borla & SLP exhausts listed under the Grand Am, but not the Alero, so I chatted online with one of their people and asked why. The guy I was online with responded that they were indeed different, and that the Borla exhaust for the Alero was discontinued due to poor sales. Is this true? Are the exhausts on the Grand Am & Alero truly different, or does the PFYC guy not know what he is talking about?
nonmoalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:56 PM   #2
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
last time i checked they were identical. in fact my old exhaust came directly off a gagt and right onto my car
Old 11-14-2005, 05:08 PM   #3
nonmoalero
V.I.P. Member

That's what I thought, but when the guy told me different, it threw me. So, does anyone think the Borla is worth the extra $229? I know this is a opinion question, but I thought I would see if anyone has any good reason to pay the extra money.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:15 PM   #4
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
Eh, it is a matter of opinion and who know who really knows best. If you're looking to gain HP and really want to do it up, then the cat-back would be best...BUT if you're just looking for some sound and appearance, i would just get a muffler and leave the cat back the same.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:08 PM   #5
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
only difference between Alero (V6 and 2.4L, I don't know about the 2.2L) and GAGT exhaust is the muffler. the single inlet is the same size.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 10:42 PM   #6
DansGen1Alero
GL Member

DansGen1Alero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to DansGen1Alero Send a message via Yahoo to DansGen1Alero Send a message via Skype™ to DansGen1Alero
i have the SLP for the grand am,
it is an exact bolt up, only thing is the grandam is apparently little longer so some will need to be shaved off, same with tip extenders.
but I love my SLP it sounds so good and it is cat back

"Vinyl belongs on the side of a house not on a car"
DansGen1Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:03 PM   #7
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
i agree with double0alero, if you just want sound get a muffler ($80-$150), but if you want performance as well as sound throw down the extra bills for a catback exhaust system ($150-$700)
Old 11-15-2005, 12:38 PM   #8
ImSoBored
GL Member

ImSoBored is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImSoBored
I bought the SLP for the GA offa pfyc. It was a tad bit too long, but nothing a quick 2 second cut couldn't fix. I paid $80 to have it welded on.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:45 PM   #9
nonmoalero
V.I.P. Member

I am looking for performance as much as sound, so all of the information and feedback I am getting is great. Now that I know I can order the Grand Am exhaust from PFYC, and that it will work with minimal modification, it is just a matter of saving $ and whether it is worth the extra expense for the Borla. The amusing thing about the conversation I had with the PFYC guy was that when he found out I had an Alero, he gave me a kind of rude snippy response, and acted like I had wasted his time on an irrelevant question since to that point in the conversation he had assumed I owned a Grand Am. :Noooo:

It seems like most people on this site who have added performance cat-backs have gone with the SLP, and if I went that route I would be able to afford it and put it on my car sooner. I have yet to see someone give some reasons (better materials, better sounding, better warranty, etc.) as to why the Borla would be worth the extra $. Hopefully someone has some good info in that regard and can pass it on.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:15 PM   #10
ImSoBored
GL Member

ImSoBored is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImSoBored
I believe borla used the same materials, from what Ive heard from the many topics on this is that more people tend to like the slp sound better. Performance wise, im not sure.

exhaustsoundclips

go to the gm section and pick the v6 category and click the 3.4L Its got a clip of SLP on an alero, and the borla on a gagt