Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 04-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
supreme_style21
GX Member

supreme_style21 is on a distinguished road
running warm

I've got an '04 3400 sedan. 91k on it. I had the cooling system flushed, put a new thermostat in it. Both fans work.
It still likes to run warm. In idle around-town traffic, it creeps up above the half-way mark on the gauge. And when it does, it smells hot, hardcore.
Most of my driving is highway, I just noticed this recently when I spent a day around town. Ambient temps have been around 50-60 F.
Get air moving and its fine. But it makes me nervous in city driving, that needle just creeps higher and higher and it smells so hot. It's never overheated, but I'm sure if I let it sit there long enough, it will. And the temps have been cool. I'm sure it'll be worse once summer kicks in here.
What else should I look at?
Old 04-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
Whats the coolant level at in the reservoir under the hood?

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
what you NEED to do is get your hands on a scan tool that can read your coolant temp that your ecm sees. my car went all the way up to 224 degrees (5/8th of the gauge) before going back down. taht would be normal. you cant guess your temp by your IPC only unfortunitly.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
i wouldnt worry unless its over the 3/4 mark. mine goes over half in traffic all the time, once i get my car back and get hpt from chris, ill be tuning my fans to where they kick on at a lower degree so it keeps cooler
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
And as strange as it sounds, just because it runs above half doesn't mean that's not its normal running temp. Mine always ran above. Did the same as you and same results. Although the burning smell might be bad. Like a leak.

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
could you put a lower-temp thermostat in? was it running hot before the new thermostat?

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #7
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
could be a sign of the LIMG or HG going..... my 3400 used to do that too...creep up a little over the half way mark when idling....then i got it "tuned" and he made it so the fans stayed on and that solved the problem....until the HG went
Old 04-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #8
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with all that was posted above, but have another one to check to make sure it's not your problem. Drop the rad out, check to ensure that debris and crap has not gotten lodged between the rad and the condenser. Its been an issue with the design on these. There is enough space between them to allow build up between them inhibiting flow!
Old 04-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
Goodman
GX Member

Goodman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by supreme_style21 View Post
I've got an '04 3400 sedan. 91k on it. I had the cooling system flushed, put a new thermostat in it. Both fans work.
It still likes to run warm. In idle around-town traffic, it creeps up above the half-way mark on the gauge. And when it does, it smells hot, hardcore.
Most of my driving is highway, I just noticed this recently when I spent a day around town. Ambient temps have been around 50-60 F.
Get air moving and its fine. But it makes me nervous in city driving, that needle just creeps higher and higher and it smells so hot. It's never overheated, but I'm sure if I let it sit there long enough, it will. And the temps have been cool. I'm sure it'll be worse once summer kicks in here.
What else should I look at?

I wouldn't worry about it , these engine going half mark on gauge are normal temp even a little higher than half in traffic as long as it's under 3/4 of the gauge in traffic you'll be fine

As for the smell... that could only be some fluid that you drop on the engine doing the flush & started to smell when it evaporate as the engine warm up

Wait a few days to a week & see if the smell is going away gradually or not...

My temp are always half mark even in winter & in summer time on a hot day it goes a bit over the half mark not much but a bit over so it's pretty much same temp year round
Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:14 PM   #10
supreme_style21
GX Member

supreme_style21 is on a distinguished road
Sorry I haven't checked in lately :/ but thanks for all the advice.

I don't worry about the gauge creepin above half. I've had plenty of cars that do that. It just bugs me when you can start smelling it. I don't see anything leaking, but I can surely miss something.

I've never checked between the rad and condenser. I'll scope that out.

I don't see anything else pointing towards LIM or HG, just looking at the coolant and oil, it all looks normal.

But, these things STILL have probs with the LIM?! Good lord, every mid-late 90's 3100 I had blew the LIM. I know some of the early 3400's did it, but figured they'd have fixed that shit by '04. Lame.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #11
mastershake
GL Member

mastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond repute
i flushed the fins of my rad/condenser last summer.... so much CRAP came out of it, there was a pile of sludge that build up under the car lol. my temp gauge hasn't gone over halfway since, and i noticed my A/C works alot better too.
mastershake is offline   Reply With Quote