Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 02-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
SittinOnChrome
GL Member

SittinOnChrome is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SittinOnChrome Send a message via Yahoo to SittinOnChrome
LEAK PASSeNGER SIDE FLOOR

Ive been having problem with the passnger side floor being wet ever since I moved to my new apartment with no car port. I guess I never noticed it before. I searched all the threads and Im not sure what to do. I did replace the water reflectors on the passenger side and still have the problem. The door seals seem to be in perfect shape. Any suggestions? I dont know if it the door is out of adjustment. Do we need to put some kind of grease on our door seals I read about that as well. Should I poke holes in my door seals? I guess gm designed our cars for everyone living where it never rains.

Last edited by SittinOnChrome : 02-11-2009 at 01:21 PM.
SittinOnChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:20 PM   #2
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Does the door close smoothly? Have you verified where the water comes in? Could be the door seal up top

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
it looks like thats where mine commonly leaks air... so its quite possible.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:23 PM   #4
SittinOnChrome
GL Member

Send a message via AIM to SittinOnChrome Send a message via Yahoo to SittinOnChrome
yes the door closes smoothly and there is no gaps that are visible I cant tell where the water is coming in at
Old 02-11-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
well.. where it is on the fuse panel door.. its dripping straight down. so straight above that, is where its entering.

just gotta find if there is a place further back in the weatherstripping that its coming into that space from.

try the bdyman method, of putting a dollar bill in the door jam w/ it closed, and pull it out. if it comes out really easy, its not a tight seal.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:29 PM   #6
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
Take the rain guards off for awhile and see if it still leaks. And don't poke holes in the rubber seals, if you want to lubricate them use dielectric grease.
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:12 PM   #7
surreal_awakening
GL Member

surreal_awakening is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to surreal_awakening
I've got the same leak unfortunately. Need to get that resolved before she goes back together. I've got different weatherstripping to go in, so hopefully that will fix it, but if not, I'll have to find another reason for the leak. Keep this thread updated.
surreal_awakening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:17 PM   #8
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
What you need to do is get some chalk (special stuff for checking leaks). put it on the weatherstrip around the door and close the door. you will see where the door is touching the strip and where its not. If that doesnt work too good then get a hose and run it over the door for a few minutes. then go check where the most water is and go on from there
Old 02-11-2009, 02:26 PM   #9
SittinOnChrome
GL Member

I notice the seal on the top of the door itself is coming off the door Im going to silicone it back together this might be the problem thanks guys
Old 02-11-2009, 02:26 PM   #10
cherrington17
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by billytheman1188 View Post
What you need to do is get some chalk (special stuff for checking leaks). put it on the weatherstrip around the door and close the door. you will see where the door is touching the strip and where its not. If that doesnt work too good then get a hose and run it over the door for a few minutes. then go check where the most water is and go on from there

essentially... you need to submerge your car in water... and then, while sitting inside, find out what leaks where.

and different weatherstripping?? they make different types!?
Old 02-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #11
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
I thought the last time a member had that problem it turned out to be the weather stripping around the windshield....Oh well! Let us know if that solves the problem so we can all make note.

A leak by the fuse panel is serious to say the least.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:35 PM   #12
surreal_awakening
GL Member

surreal_awakening is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to surreal_awakening
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
and different weatherstripping?? they make different types!?

nah...by different I mean I have replacement weatherstrip, in grey, to match the new interior going in the car.
surreal_awakening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:39 PM   #13
cherrington17
Gone

ohh. i was gonna say... WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME!

our door frame/weatherstripping setup is horrible. bad design.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:10 PM   #14
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
Just take it to a DIY car wash, and make a deserving friend sit in the passenger seat while you pressure wash around that area of the car.
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:40 PM   #15
NickAlero2000
GLS member

NickAlero2000 is on a distinguished road
i like that one, make sure to film it when you do it though...
NickAlero2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:19 PM   #16
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
i believe 02 and up the weather stripping had holes in them which aided in water draining, the methods dont really work i have fixed so many cars that were backyard fixed like the methods above, and wound up costing them more money to have it fixed right

for me i would do this

yes a dollar bill is the best method as you close the door put the bill between door and door opening, if its loose and slides right out all the way around 2 things.
1.door is out of adjustment
2. ya need new weather striping

so lets say the weatherstriping has been replaced but the dollar bill test failed, well allot of things you can do now
put the window down, grab hold of the door frame and slowly and moving along the frame bend the frame, each time you bend back test the door, if it still fails now adjust the striker in a tad bit, if it still failed

bend the door frame some more, should be problem solved
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:23 PM   #17
cherrington17
Gone

how do you adjust the striker?
Old 02-11-2009, 10:31 PM   #18
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
look on the c-pillar should be 35-40 torx head, loosen the bolts, just a bit ya can hit it with a hammer so ya dont loose the height of the striker, and move it in, re tighten, if that doors POPS its to far in back it back out a tad bit

doors usally have a small pop, dodge doors have a huge pop, gm likes to keep it rather unnoticable
Old 02-11-2009, 10:34 PM   #19
cherrington17
Gone

so moving it into the door, would help?
Old 02-11-2009, 10:39 PM   #20
bdyman
GLS member

yes pushing the striker plate in, not pulling it out which will casue it not to seal at all, so push it in towards the inside of the car