Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 07-23-2007, 12:16 PM   #1
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
Rear Disc Brake Question- quick :)

I looked around but the answer didnt jump out at me in over 6 pages.

I have a 2000 Alero, 3400. Its got disc brakes in the rear. This is the second time Ive changed disc brakes on the rear of a GM car (94 Saturn now this).

The Saturn required a device to turn the caliper piston in. The guy at the parts store sold me one as I was going to need it...

Well today Im trying to do these brakes. Pull the caliper off, there is no grooves for the tool????

So now Im unsure if I need to twist them in a specific fashion or just have at it with a C Clamp. I cant afford new calipers, so please someone thats been here done that answer.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:34 PM   #2
TwistedDreams
VIP

TwistedDreams is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to TwistedDreams
c-clamp
Old 07-23-2007, 10:04 PM   #3
SIUlero
GL Member

SIUlero is on a distinguished road
We don't have the parking brake built into the caliper, we just have a drum built into the rotor with a small shoe in it for the parking brake. When it's built into the caliper you need the tool to turn the piston as you compress it, but with ours, it's just like the front calipers...push 'em in with a c-clamp (crack the bleeder open first!).
http://www.cardomain.com/id/CrazyOldsGuy
SIUlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 10:18 PM   #4
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
Ok thanks for the clarification.

Im not a mechanic, but I mechanical. When I get unsure I get overly cautious until I get proper info.

I was a bit puzzled when I pulled The back rotor/drum off. Actually WTF flew out of my mouth... lol

Thanks for the consistent reply. I will get here all back together quickly tomorrow.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:36 PM   #5
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
You don't need to open the bleeder, just don't compress the piston so much that the brake fluid resivor overflows.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:08 PM   #6
SIUlero
GL Member

SIUlero is on a distinguished road
If you push that much fluid back into the master cylinder, you also push sediment that has formed in your lines with it. Those particles can cut the seals in the master, and then you need a new one (unless you feel like rebuilding it). 9 times out of 10 you're probably safe, but I don't like to play the odds if I don't have to.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/CrazyOldsGuy
SIUlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:48 PM   #7
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
I don't think your gonna be pushing the sediment up into the resivor by pushing the pistons in half an inch. The only time I have ever bleed my brakes was if I had a brake line off or changing the fluid. The bleeders are there to ger air out of the system.

Last edited by rustyballs_69 : 07-25-2007 at 11:59 PM.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote