Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 04-08-2008, 09:44 PM   #1
s3bst3r
GX Member

s3bst3r is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Convert DRLs from headlights to turn-signal lights?

The thread topic basically sums it up.

How to convert the DRLs from the headlights (low-beams in my case, I have an '04) to the bright filament of the turn-signal lamps?

This would make the DRLs the same as they are on the GM mini-vans (Chevy Uplander/Venture, Pontiac Montana/SV6, etc.)

Has anybody done this? Any idea how this could be done?

If this cannot be done, I'm just gonna disable my DRLs by pulling out the relay. But alternatively I would like the look of having the turn-signal lamps as my DRLs, hence why I'm wondering if it's possible to convert them to such.
s3bst3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:06 PM   #2
olds03alero
GX Member

olds03alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to olds03alero
it may be possible, but it would take a lot of time to look over the diagram. it still may end up setting your svs light.
olds03alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:19 PM   #3
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
its definitely possible.... anything is possible.... its just the how...

gotta check to see if the output from the DRL relay connects to anything else, or possibly serves as the main power for those bulbs. if no for both, then you could just connect that wire from said relay, to the bulb of choice.

but if i remember an old thread about disabling drl's.. just removing the relay causes an issue with something else.... so i'd check into that first. i think this will end up being more work then it seems...
Old 04-08-2008, 10:38 PM   #4
s3bst3r
GX Member

In a previous DRL-related post, Cliff8928 stated that just pulling out the DRL relay in his '04 does not cause any side effect such as an SVS light. Pulling out the relay doesn't worry me.

I'm just wondering how difficult it would be to convert the DRLs over to the turn signal bulbs instead. I doubt it's easy to do, however.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:05 PM   #5
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
I have wondered the same thing as I thought it would look way better, especially if the corners are cleared... but I know nothing about wiring, so until an answer comes from this, I will be leaving things alone... I cannot afford to have my wiring messed up... lol...

SO.... Someone please figure this out!!!!
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Just to throw my 10 cents in. You could use the hot side of the signal light to switch a relay on and off, but by doing this you will have a delay. This is possible, and several ways to do it..I just don't see the point, but then again not everyone saw the point in getting lows\highs\and fogs on at the same time either.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:41 PM   #7
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
The easiest way to do this would be to get a DRL control module from a U-van and wire that in..
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:44 PM   #8
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post
The easiest way to do this would be to get a DRL control module from a U-van and wire that in..
what?
Old 04-11-2008, 12:04 AM   #9
s3bst3r
GX Member

I believe by "U-van", Cliff means the GM minivans that use the U-body platform. They include:

- Chevrolet Venture/Uplander
- Pontiac Trans Sport/Montana/SV6
- Oldsmobile Silhouette
- Buick Terraza
- Saturn Relay

...Having said that, I'm still not certain how difficult it would be to change that module.

This sounds like one of those things where someone who attempts it and is successful would have to post details with pictures for every step.

By all means though, keep those suggestions/ideas coming!
Old 04-11-2008, 03:47 PM   #10
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3bst3r View Post
I believe by "U-van", Cliff means the GM minivans that use the U-body platform. They include:

- Chevrolet Venture/Uplander
- Pontiac Trans Sport/Montana/SV6
- Oldsmobile Silhouette
- Buick Terraza
- Saturn Relay

...Having said that, I'm still not certain how difficult it would be to change that module.

This sounds like one of those things where someone who attempts it and is successful would have to post details with pictures for every step.

By all means though, keep those suggestions/ideas coming!
Oh Ok well I still go back to my original point you could use a relay as a switch..but you would need one for each side, or you could buy a flashing module...but you would still need one for each side. Either way its going to take some wiring but nothing to difficult. Just need some one to work out the details, and if I had time I would try it for shits and giggles.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:38 PM   #11
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
That module really just has inputs and outputs to the bulbs and ignition turn on and a light sensor as i recall.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:58 PM   #12
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

You know I was thinking about this today and it dawned on me that you would have to seperate the signal light function from the headlights when the lights are turned on. I think making a turn at night would be alittle bit difficult when one of your headlights is flashing. I see this being a wiring night mare after all.