Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 05-18-2008, 02:56 PM   #1
irondiezl3
GLS member

irondiezl3 is on a distinguished road
useless

strut bar useless. if i rated the difference one to ten id give it a one at its best. installed correctly and bought a expensive one also. i cant believe people posted it helps i didnt notice a damn thing even when u cut turns hard and fast nothing at all. the only other thing i can try is jacking my car up on a straight lift then installing ive searched online and found that is suppose to improve the benefits of a strut bar better than if done while the car is on the ground. but deffinantly not worth the money i wouldnt even buy the cheap ebay one for that its almost completely pointless.
irondiezl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:13 PM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
You must have done something wrong because mine made one hell of a difference, and that one was one off eBay even. The body is more rigid. Get sway bars if you want to cut turns hard and not roll any, but the strut bar links the two strut towers together in a way that it keeps them from individually flexing, it stiffens them up. If you didn't notice anything then I don't know what to say, because everyone else who has them knows that it's like night and day.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:18 PM   #3
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
the front one is pretty much cosmetic, it stiffens up your steering slightly, the one that makes a more noticeable difference is the rear.........but alot of your body roll comes from your sway bars
Old 05-18-2008, 03:22 PM   #4
irondiezl3
GLS member

yea i know thats why i bought it people rave about it here. its a really nice one too. i mean how could it be on wrong my car was on flat ground and it went in easy its not hitting anything and i just took off the 3 bolts put strut bar on and put the three bolts back on. does it need to be loosened my bar has an option to keep each end lose not the 3 bolts that are on the struts its before that there is a nut on each side that can loosen the bar up maybe i have it too tight should i give it some play other then that theres nothing that could be wrong at all. i mean maybe im not looking for the right thing. im looking for when i turn the car doesnt turn my whole body with it as much im looking for the car to stay a little more stright. and when you say stiffen the suspension how so like when i hit a pothole it should just be like a bump instead of vibrating?
Old 05-18-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
Ive seen a lot of difference from my front one.

I could feel a slight difference from the back one, but there was one.
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
the #6 bolt torque..its impossible to get...unless I use telekenesis
Vinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:44 PM   #6
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
It reduces body twist... not roll. It stiffens the strut towers, like I said, not the springs.. lol. There's a lot to do to improve a suspension system, but the strut tower bars definitely DO make a difference.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:55 PM   #7
irondiezl3
GLS member

wow i feel like a idiot what the heck is body twist?
Old 05-18-2008, 03:59 PM   #8
AJules
GLS member

AJules is on a distinguished road
hmm

how much did you pay for it?
if you don't mind me asking
AJules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 04:00 PM   #9
irondiezl3
GLS member

70 Its A Vibrant.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:23 PM   #10
[ion] C2
636 whp

that's cheap chief, most strut bars are $160+

body twist would be the front of the car twisting relative to the rear, the front strut tower bar stiffens up the steering as -Alero- said.

It's not useless.

Quote:
A strut bar or strut brace is a mostly aftermarket car suspension accessory used in conjunction with MacPherson struts on monocoque or unibody chassis to provide extra strength between the strut towers.

A strut bar is designed to reduce this strut tower flex by tying two parallel strut towers together. This transmits the load of each strut tower during cornering via tension and compression of the strut bar which shares the load between both towers and reduces chassis flex.

Resulting from the improved chassis rigidity (similar to that gained from a lower tie bar); may be improved steering precision under high load conditions (cornering and braking). Reduced understeer, tire wear and metal fatigue in the strut tower area may also be experienced.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:36 PM   #11
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Sway bars and stiffer springs/shocks are the only things that are going to reduce body roll. Strut braces stiffen the chassis and help the suspension do it's job better.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:30 PM   #12
irondiezl3
GLS member

u mean when u slam on the brakes and the front end dips down? idk i dont really get what it means by stiffening
Old 05-18-2008, 08:31 PM   #13
irondiezl3
GLS member

it was seventy retail is around a hundred and its alot better and bigger than the ebay ones. idk its prolly just me not understanding what its suppose to do unfortunately i dont know alot about suspension so ur speaking a forgeign language to me sorry no disrespect guys.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:34 PM   #14
[ion] C2
636 whp

I dunno, I used an eBay one and noticed a HUGE difference just adding the front one. *shrug*
Old 05-18-2008, 08:36 PM   #15
TheAftermath
GX Member

TheAftermath is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
I dunno, I used an eBay one and noticed a HUGE difference just adding the front one. *shrug*

The 30 dollar grand am one?
I wanted to get that one just didn't know if it would work.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:39 PM   #16
01silveralero
Aleromod's most pointless thread starter

01silveralero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAftermath View Post
The 30 dollar grand am one?
I wanted to get that one just didn't know if it would work.

same. -_-
New project 1992 460 big block ford notchback mustang
Goal - Mid 11s all motor.
01silveralero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:41 PM   #17
[ion] C2
636 whp

^Ya, the cheap Grand Am one. I got shipped one wrong plate so I had to have a customs shop plasma cut me a new one. Most people didn't have that problem though should come with all you need.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:44 PM   #18
TheAftermath
GX Member

TheAftermath is on a distinguished road
Sweet though, I definetly gotta get my hands on one.
Do the rear grand am sway bars work on ours as well?

Love the alero but steering definetly isn't one of its best attributes haha.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:46 PM   #19
[ion] C2
636 whp

^Yep.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:03 PM   #20
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
Originally Posted by irondiezl3 View Post
u mean when u slam on the brakes and the front end dips down? idk i dont really get what it means by stiffening
No, stiffening the springs/shocks would reduce front end dive under hard braking. Strut braces stiffen the chassis, not the suspension itself. They help keep the frame of the car from flexing so much that the suspension can't keep the tires planted.