Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 11-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
bentiac
GL Member

bentiac is on a distinguished road
Gasoline smell

I started noticing a faint gas smell inside my car 3 days ago. I can smell it before I start up the engine and it's getting worse every day.

I started smelling around and it's definitely coming from the trunk => not an injector leaking
I filled up gas 7-8 days ago => probably not the refill pipe

The trunk carpet is a little damp but I can't tell if it's from rain leaking in or if it's gasoline.... it's more likely gas.

If there was a leak in the charcoal canister, would it throw a SES light? I can't think of anything else...
GS - 01 Alero Coupe - MT, CG-lock,Front/rear strut tower brace,WAI,Fidanza Short throw Shifter and custom short throw clutch, AGX adjustable struts and mounts, Dropzone Springs, speedbuilt front sway bar, Toyo R888.

CS - 06 RX8 - Special Edition Shinka, 285 Hoosier A6.
bentiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
could be a fuel line rusting and leaking, could be a quick connect not quite seating, could be a hole in the filler neck rubber. could be a loose clamp around the filler nech. could be a leak in the canister, could be a stuck open vent vavle too. however you probably would get a code for the evap crap.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Are you really that sure that it's not the fuel filler tube? It's the most likely thing to fail there. I'm specifically referring to the flexible portion that looks a lot like a radiator hose.

zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
03Sleepr
Premier V.I.P. Member

03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute
its possible that it wouldn't throw an code (more often than not you probably wont have a code for it), do you top off your tank often? if you do then its probably the canister, and gas in the trunk makes it even more likely...
03Sleepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I had the same thing a few months ago. I filled up with gas in NJ (only full service stations there) and the guy spilled the gas in the cup around the tube and it ran down the outside of the tube. Had that same smell inside trunk.

Fast forward to last week, My SES light was on for a 442 code (evap small leak) and I took the car to the mech because I had the SES for a while. He found gas weeping from the top of the tank. Had it fixed this past Tuesday. The fuel pump gasket was FUBARed and he replaced it

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
bentiac
GL Member

If it was from filling up, wouldn't the smell get weaker? I filled up last week and I noticed the smell only on Tuesday...I'll check the filler tube.
GS - 01 Alero Coupe - MT, CG-lock,Front/rear strut tower brace,WAI,Fidanza Short throw Shifter and custom short throw clutch, AGX adjustable struts and mounts, Dropzone Springs, speedbuilt front sway bar, Toyo R888.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #7
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Took almost 10 days for the smell to go away, however the smell never got into the cab, just stayed in the trunk

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #8
bentiac
GL Member

aaaah stupid stupid me I sniffed around and finally found the source... I had a bottle of power steering sealant (basically a rubber softener) that has broken and leaked everywhere. Short of trying to kill me with its toxic fumes, it was a good product and fixed my steering fluid leak last year and no problem since.... worst part, I had a helmet in my trunk