Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 02-24-2008, 11:54 PM   #1
Iris
GX Member

Iris is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Agh. Thump Thump from HU.

I have an aftermarket Pioneer deck hooked up to my 2001 Alero with a GMCO. Whenever I change the station, or input (Radio, Aux, CD), the speakers make a loud thump noise. Almost as if they were shutdown abruptly and started again.

Any idea to what this is and how to mend it??

EDIT -- My speakers are ran through my stock monsoon amp.
Iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:57 PM   #2
Onewing91
GX Member

Onewing91 is on a distinguished road
I've heard of it happening when the ground on the deck is no good, double check and make sure that its got a good connection.

"I have a fever, and the only cure is more cowbell!"

3400 SFI V6 Mod: WAI, LEDs inside, 12" MPL Subs, Kenwood Amp, Clear Corners, nothing major
Onewing91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:01 AM   #3
p1mptress
I'm pretty much Awesome!

p1mptress is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to p1mptress
I have a pioneer deck and it doesn't happen to me. Even before I had the system in it.

Maybe your amp connection is loose.
p1mptress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:33 AM   #4
Iris
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewing91 View Post
I've heard of it happening when the ground on the deck is no good, double check and make sure that its got a good connection.

Hmm, I will check that out. Right now I have the deck ground screwed into the metal piece that runs down the backing of the dash. I'm guessing it should be fine there (?) but I will double check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1mptress View Post
I have a pioneer deck and it doesn't happen to me. Even before I had the system in it.

I plugged back the stock stereo and the thumping was gone. It just happens with the Aftermarket deck.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:22 AM   #5
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
Has to do with the after market deck and the stock crap amp.

One or the other.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:19 PM   #6
Iris
GX Member

If it helps, the deck is a Pioneer P5000UB.
The stock amp doesn't shit out like that with the stock deck.
SO I'm guessing its probably the after market deck?

Also, I suppose its note worthy to say, I have the remote wire tapped/whatever, with one end going to the stock amp, and the other end going nowhere (It will be going to my sub amp as soon as the weather clears up a bit). Could that have something to do with it?
Old 02-25-2008, 05:57 PM   #7
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

How does your deck connect to the stock amp?

Sometimes these thumps happen due to the decks. Sometimes due to the install.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:39 PM   #8
east coast temptation
GX Member

east coast temptation is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to east coast temptation
amp feedback (amp is putting power to the speakers but with no signal from the deck is causing the pop just wait to you put in the subs it will be worse)
Old 02-25-2008, 11:22 PM   #9
Iris
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1mptress View Post

Could you verify which harness you used, and if you used the RCA jacks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan from Ohio View Post
How does your deck connect to the stock amp?

Sometimes these thumps happen due to the decks. Sometimes due to the install.
I used a Peripheral GMCO Harness, it came with 4 RCAs. It said that if you have the Bose system to leave the RCAs intact, otherwise to cut the ends and wire it normally. I did have the monsoon amp so I figured to leave the RCAs on, and just connected them straight to the deck. Should I have cut them off and wired them into the seperate wires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by east coast temptation View Post
amp feedback (amp is putting power to the speakers but with no signal from the deck is causing the pop just wait to you put in the subs it will be worse)
Hm. I will look into amp feedback. However it just seems like the deck stops sending the remote turn on signal so the amp turns off for a second. The popping/thumping noise occurs during... Radio station change, input change, and when I turn off the deck. (It does not happen upon turning on the deck, just when I turn it off or turn off the ignition.)

EDIT----

I just found this information regarding a similar problem. Thoughts?

Quote:
I have an 04 Grand Am and have the same problem with my subs when I turn my car off or switch the source on my deck. In my case, I have the factory Monsoon system and am going to have to bypass the factory amp to fix the pop since it's the conflict between the factory amp and the built in amp in my deck that is causing the problem. This is a common issue when upgrading the sound in Grand Ams. It could be that you're having a completely separate problem but I thought I'd get you started on possible causes.

Quote:
People have had different experiences replacing the Monsoon HU. Some have simply swapped it out like any other deck and been ready to go. They are the lucky ones. When I swapped mine out the internal amp in my aftermarket HU and the factory Monsoon amp did not get along well. Essentially, both were trying to power my speakers and the result was an annoying pop whenever I'd start or turn off my car as the factory amp kicked on/off. It was fairly tolerable until I installed my subs at which point I had to do the re-wire you mentioned as well as replace all of my speakers due to the differing ohm loads.

Quote:
To tie a floating ground common to chassis ground could easily cause this mismatch by unbalancing a balanced line.
I'm curious about this quote, as my deck is grounded to the metal framing behind it. Could that be a problem?

Last edited by Iris : 02-26-2008 at 01:17 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:57 AM   #10
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Well for shlts and giggles if you think its an issue with the remote wire try this.

Take the remote off at the amp. Run a jumper from the 12V to the remote. Try your radio out. If its not making the pope etc you found your issue. If it still is you can pretty much count on it being that factory amp.

Dont cut anything like the RCAs or any stock harness/wiring.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:07 AM   #11
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
i don't think the metal plate behind the radio is a good ground....

i might be wrong, but i think i tested that for continuity w/ a solid ground and got nothing.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:43 PM   #12
Iris
GX Member

Quote:
Well for shlts and giggles if you think its an issue with the remote wire try this.

Take the remote off at the amp. Run a jumper from the 12V to the remote. Try your radio out. If its not making the pope etc you found your issue. If it still is you can pretty much count on it being that factory amp.

Dont cut anything like the RCAs or any stock harness/wiring.

I will hold off on that because i just resoldered all the connections last night, however, I'm attaching an img with this post. Some extra info regarding the image at the end of this reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
i don't think the metal plate behind the radio is a good ground....

i might be wrong, but i think i tested that for continuity w/ a solid ground and got nothing.

If thats true, then maybe my sub will be able to verify it?

I drew the following image in class when I was bored. Basically, its the connection I have going right now.

The assumptions are as follow (in case of readability)...

1. Both sub & speakers continue to pop.

>> Head unit wiring is the problem (either a ground problem, which I have a feeling it may be now, or a remote problem as mentioned earlier)

2. Only speakers pop, sub doesn't.

>> Conflict between HU & factory amp.

I will be hooking up the sub in roughly 3 hours, so I can get back to you guys regarding the assumptions.

Also, in the top right corner you will see a question. I don't think theres a difference in the wiring but I just wanna make sure.

Any ideas on what else it could be?
Old 02-26-2008, 09:12 PM   #13
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Link to the wiring harness used?

Is it a LOC "Line Out Converter"? If so that there could be the problem. May not be adjust correctly.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:16 PM   #14
Iris
GX Member

Quote:
Link to the wiring harness used?

Is it a LOC "Line Out Converter"? If so that there could be the problem. May not be adjust correctly.

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=326

Peripheral GMCO Chime replacement/Wiring Harness.

Here is also the manual with it, I followed the second part, as I kept my RCAs.

http://peripheralelectronics.com/per...%20ver%202.pdf

Alright, so I just finished making the major connections for the amp.
Ran the RCA/Remote turn on from the deck to the trunk.
Ran the power from the battery to the trunk.

Before I can continue hooking everything up, I kinda wanna just run this past you guys.

(My first amp installation lol)

I'm not sure if the alero already has a good spot to ground in the trunk, or if I would have to drill a new one? Suggestions?

Also, is there a certain process I should go through when connecting the power line to the battery? I plan on hooking up the amp first. Then taking the power line and connecting it to the fuse. Then connecting the final small bit of power line to the other end of the fuse. Then connecting it to the power by just unscrewing the positive terminal, placing it in place, and screwing it back on.

Sound good?

These 2 things are basically the only things keeping me from having an operational sub, and to be honest, I really wanna just get ripped and listen to some mad bass tonight.

Last edited by Iris : 02-26-2008 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:17 PM   #15
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
the thump noise is from the speakers grounding out

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:27 PM   #16
Iris
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr1m View Post
the thump noise is from the speakers grounding out

So the stock speakers are grounded incorrectly? They work fine with the stock deck.

Quote:
Before I can continue hooking everything up, I kinda wanna just run this past you guys.

(My first amp installation lol)

I'm not sure if the alero already has a good spot to ground in the trunk, or if I would have to drill a new one? Suggestions?

Also, is there a certain process I should go through when connecting the power line to the battery? I plan on hooking up the amp first. Then taking the power line and connecting it to the fuse. Then connecting the final small bit of power line to the other end of the fuse. Then connecting it to the power by just unscrewing the positive terminal, placing it in place, and screwing it back on.

Sound good?

Would really love to have the above answered asap. I have just read to remove the negative terminal first? Then work with the positive?

Last edited by Iris : 02-26-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:33 AM   #17
Iris
GX Member

Alright, well shit. I can't get the damn O ring connector or w/e it is onto the positive terminal. Aleros have the gayest terminal connections. Shit!

Advice?

Last edited by Iris : 02-27-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:18 PM   #18
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ok lets go over the first issue before we get into a new one.

First off looking at the link supplied a 2001 Alero is NOT supported by the unit.

The directions Clearly State "DO NOT USE RCA INPUT IN NON BOSE SYSTEMS"

So what they are telling you to do is to cut off the RCA ends and use them as speaker outputs? Which makes absolutely 0 sense considering you dont have any INPUT at this stage of the game.

I think the converter you bought is a giant POS/PITA and you should just start over.

Outside of the facts that it wasnt meant for your car, incorrect usage and my personal opinion- could just be in the radio. You will know for sure when you get your sub going. So until then, dont sweat it.

Next question.

For grounding I would goto a shock tower nut if possible. Sand the paint off to bare metal for best grounding.

For the problem with the batt up front you have two choices. If you have a dual mount battery use the posts. If not, cut away some rubber on the top side of the red thing. Then press the bolt out. Put the ring terminal inside it, put the bolt back in and tighten it up.

Best advice. Disconnect the GROUND at the battery. Run the power wire as needed. Ground the amp. Put the fuse in the positive wire. Then reconnect the ground @ the battery.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:30 PM   #19
Iris
GX Member

Quote:
Ok lets go over the first issue before we get into a new one.

First off looking at the link supplied a 2001 Alero is NOT supported by the unit.

The directions Clearly State "DO NOT USE RCA INPUT IN NON BOSE SYSTEMS"

So what they are telling you to do is to cut off the RCA ends and use them as speaker outputs? Which makes absolutely 0 sense considering you dont have any INPUT at this stage of the game.

I think the converter you bought is a giant POS/PITA and you should just start over.

Outside of the facts that it wasnt meant for your car, incorrect usage and my personal opinion- could just be in the radio. You will know for sure when you get your sub going. So until then, dont sweat it.

Next question.

For grounding I would goto a shock tower nut if possible. Sand the paint off to bare metal for best grounding.

For the problem with the batt up front you have two choices. If you have a dual mount battery use the posts. If not, cut away some rubber on the top side of the red thing. Then press the bolt out. Put the ring terminal inside it, put the bolt back in and tighten it up.

Best advice. Disconnect the GROUND at the battery. Run the power wire as needed. Ground the amp. Put the fuse in the positive wire. Then reconnect the ground @ the battery.

Alright, the thing is, I tried two of the most common converters available locally. Both places said it would work for the 01 Alero, and both converters did the same thing.

bestkits.com also recommends the GMCO that I used for the 01 alero.
Also, I don't believe there was a wiring difference between 01-04?

Thanks for the info on the grounding and batt. I found a decent spot earlier today in the trunk and just drilled into it with a gold plated screw, turned out nicely. (I also sanded the paint off)

When I was in the audio section of a store earlier I noticed a universal GM post replacement. So I bought that for $6 and replaced my original post with this one by cutting out a bit of the red plastic. Its gold plated, too, and it has a screw on the end to attach whatever you want.

The sub does pound, and nice too! However, it doesn't get the same feedback or w/e as the speakers do.

So I'm guessing its either the wiring between the stock amp and HU or just the fact that they are truly incompatible?

EDIT----

Also, what I think they mean when they say cutoff the RCA is that instead of using the RCA in the HU RCA Output, to cut the ends and wire them with the HU Stereo Output wires.

Last edited by Iris : 02-27-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:47 PM   #20
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Which turns it into a high pass output/input.

I would locate the factory amp. See if it has RCA inputs on it. If so run your own RCAs right off the HU. You have 3 sets of RCAs out, so use them.

Or skip the factory amp. They suck, have high distortion, low output and even less headroom and suck at slew rate. In general, they just suck. Just wire direct from radio to the speakers.

lastly add a new amp.