Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 04-27-2014, 02:30 PM   #1
negolien
GL Member

negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien
need some help choosing

Need help picking an amp for my Kappa 693.11i's 110 watt rms 330 peak 2ohm.

Might as well get some thoughts on the amp for the 4x6. Though I already have one maybe someone has a better solution because the MTX terminator 200/2 is very large for 2 channel 45/150 4 ohms
negolien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:58 AM   #2
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
I've posted about this before, but I will say it again... get a good 4 channel amp instead of buying 2 2 channels. I know the impendances and watts are different, but you can easily get a 150 watt amp for your fronts and the amp will automatically give more watts than that to your 2 ohm speakers simply because the impendance is lower, so it will work less hard to make the same amount of watts needed for your 4 ohm speakers.

I'll look for some amps for you and I will post it here later.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:48 AM   #3
negolien
GL Member

negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien
Thanks as a side note I already have two amps the Class D for the subs and the stock Monsoon for the 6x9's. I'll be replacing that stock Monsoon and just adding a 45 watt so not going to be a big issue power wise. Though I do have a 200A alt otw from a member so.

Last edited by negolien : 04-28-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:30 AM   #4
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
The monsoon isn't powerful at all. If it were an aftermarket amplifier, it would require 8 gauge power wiring at best.

But anyways, how much is your Class D amp putting out constantly?

You shouldn't need to upgrade the alternator unless you're going over 1000-1200 watts RMS. If you do upgrade to that alternator, you'll also need to do the big 3 since the puny stock 8/10 gauge wiring won't be able to transfer that power from the alternator to the battery. It's not that hard to do that, but you will need 0 gauge wiring, and that will get pretty expensive.

Also, I recommend running a thick cable to your trunk and using a power box instead of running multiple cables. Not sure how your system is set up as of now, so I had to make that comment.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 04-29-2014, 04:13 AM   #5
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Here's what I've found that you may like. I tried keeping the price low for ya.

Hifonics BRX640. Usually, Maxxsonics doesn't make stuff CEA-2006 compliant. In this case, these are. You should research this model to make sure though, I like to be assured, I would assume you would too. As long as you don't turn up the gain, you should be able to power all 4 speakers without blowing them.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-BRX640.4.html

Kenwood KAC8406. This one will overpower your 4x6's by 25 watts BUT underpower your 6x9's by 10. That is usually not a problem, but don't turn up the gain too high on either or, since you can clip the sound.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-KAC-8406.html
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 04-29-2014, 10:03 AM   #6
negolien
GL Member

Thanks yeah going to do Big 3 at same time as alt. I was gonna run 0 to the trunk and run a distribution box with 8 gauge to all the amps and the cap. I run 500rms to the subs now. I have been wary of the hifonics though. I have seen em at Fry's.

The issue seems to be about what you have found underpowered 6x9's or over powerered 4x6's. I also should have gotten 2 ohm 4x6's instead of 4 but live and learn. Only reason I' am not super happy with the Terminator amp for the 4x6's is it's freaking huge for a 45 watt lol damn fan cooled amps. The specs are perfect for it. I'll probably go with the Jackhammer or Fosgate amp for the 6x9's unless something peaks my interest.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:34 PM   #7
Nas Escobar
GLS member

If you run 0, you can split to 4 gauge with no problems. It's what most amps call for anyways. Better to do it right.

I think the issue here is that you bought the things for the time being, instead of buying them for the future. Live and learn, yes; but you can easily move away from this by simply selling all speakers and starting from scratch. This is the main reason I always tell people to upgrade their door speakers to 6 1/2. They will fit, you have to engineer em into place but it's nothing horrific. You could have easily put Alpine 6 1/2speakers in there that would have double the capacity of your 4x6's.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 04-29-2014, 02:39 PM   #8
S8track16
GL Member

S8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
If you run 0, you can split to 4 gauge with no problems. It's what most amps call for anyways. Better to do it right.

I think the issue here is that you bought the things for the time being, instead of buying them for the future. Live and learn, yes; but you can easily move away from this by simply selling all speakers and starting from scratch. This is the main reason I always tell people to upgrade their door speakers to 6 1/2. They will fit, you have to engineer em into place but it's nothing horrific. You could have easily put Alpine 6 1/2speakers in there that would have double the capacity of your 4x6's.

There is quite a noticeable difference between the infinity 4x6s I had before compared to the Infinity kappa 6.5s I have now. It was worth upgrading the front doors.

New System in Progress...Mids/Tweets: 2 Skar SPX component sets powered by a Skar 85.4. Subs: Hybrid 15" DD/AA, Amp: Skar SK3500, 2 runs (power and ground) of Knu OFC 0 gauge, XS d3400 up front, 2 Deka g31s in the trunk...more to come
S8track16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:54 PM   #9
negolien
GL Member

Yeah to be honest I didn't think of that at all. They push about the same power as 6x9's right? So I could do say 100-150 at 2 ohms times 4? Though it's a PITA to put em in from what I have seen on here.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:13 AM   #10
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8track16 View Post
There is quite a noticeable difference between the infinity 4x6s I had before compared to the Infinity kappa 6.5s I have now. It was worth upgrading the front doors.

I agree. While I myself am an Alpine guy, I do have respect for Infiniti speakers.

With that being said, 4x6 is similar to 4" speakers in sound, except they are able to produce more bass similar to 6x9's due to their oval size. The upgrade to 6 1/2s is night and day, especially considering that 6 1/2s are more clear when it comes to vocals and acoustic sounds. I don't know what kind of music you listen to, but you will notice the difference if you listen to pop or easy type music. As far as me, I listen to rap, with a lot of bass, so I tend to notice more the lack of distortion (thanks to a round cone).

I took pics when I did my speakers, but I don't have em with me at the moment. The best way to describe the conversion is that you can either get one of those adapters for the Chrysler cars and use that as a mount for the door, or get a Cavalier/Sunfire adapter (which also has the 4x6's) and use that as a base and ziptie or drill the speaker into place (I ziptied mine on, never had an issue with rattling)

I have the adapters if you want them. PM me if interested.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 04-30-2014, 09:56 AM   #11
negolien
GL Member

Meh I listen to mostly rock. I'd probably have the mod done by a professional. I will seriously think about it. I like the idea of a 6.5 to be honest and 1 4 channel 100 watt rms amp would be a lot easier to deal with. I'd probably go Infinity too.

As a side note anyone know if component tweeters will fit in the stock tweeter spot?

Last edited by negolien : 04-30-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:43 PM   #12
negolien
GL Member

Only ones I could find were Kappa's that were 2 ohms were only $127 though
Old 04-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #13
S8track16
GL Member

S8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond repute
Would you consider pro audio such as: crescendo, soundqubed, prv audio, etc. They make great quality speakers and they aren't expensive at all. For example, 2 soundqubed 6.5 mids and 2 super tweeters for 100 + shipping.

New System in Progress...Mids/Tweets: 2 Skar SPX component sets powered by a Skar 85.4. Subs: Hybrid 15" DD/AA, Amp: Skar SK3500, 2 runs (power and ground) of Knu OFC 0 gauge, XS d3400 up front, 2 Deka g31s in the trunk...more to come
S8track16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #14
negolien
GL Member

I' am always willing to look at a product.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:01 PM   #15
negolien
GL Member

Meh not really impressed with any of the mounting options besides the Q-forms. I wonder though the 5500BHS has 6 preamp outputs. I' am thinking of going with the 2 subs, 2 6x9's the two 4x6's, the two stock tweets and the q-forms with 6.5 and tweets. Think I could work all that into the system with the Monoblock running the subs, 4 channel running the 6x9's and component 6.5s and two channel for the 4x6's with the stock tweets running off of the deck?
Old 05-07-2014, 06:17 AM   #16
JonStoltz
GX Member

JonStoltz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
I've posted about this before, but I will say it again... get a good 4 channel amp instead of buying 2 2 channels. I know the impendances and watts are different, but you can easily get a 150 watt amp for your fronts and the amp will automatically give more watts than that to your 2 ohm speakers simply because the impendance is lower, so it will work less hard to make the same amount of watts needed for your 4 ohm speakers.

I'll look for some amps for you and I will post it here later.

So you're saying if u can't match the power and resistance of the speakers, the best way to do it with one 4 channel amp is get a pair of 4x6" rated 100 watt @ 4 ohms" and a pair of 6x9" rated 200 watt @ 2 ohms for example.

Last edited by JonStoltz : 05-07-2014 at 06:21 AM.
JonStoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #17
negolien
GL Member

You're still running a pair of speakers at non recommended ohms.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:32 PM   #18
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStoltz View Post
So you're saying if u can't match the power and resistance of the speakers, the best way to do it with one 4 channel amp is get a pair of 4x6" rated 100 watt @ 4 ohms" and a pair of 6x9" rated 200 watt @ 2 ohms for example.

I may be misunderstanding what you're trying to say, but my point in that post is that it's better to match speakers to an amp than matching amps to a speaker. If you end up with 3 amps, it's going to take up space, it's going to be a hassle to have distribution blocks and all that good mess (and that's if you do it right, imagine those that simply run wire to the battery. That's not efficient at all).

I think to be honest, I was really saying that the original poster messed up by buying things as he went along instead of planning it out but to remedy what happened was by finding an amp that is similar in ratings.

As far as what you're trying to say, IF your amp puts out 80 watts x 4 @ 4ohms but can handle 2ohms x 4 and has a rating of 140 at that ohm load and you buy speakers accordingly, then yes that's the best solution UNLESS you're comfortable with distribution blocks and have the space to mount different amps in a location where they have air to cool off. Otherwise, the solution is getting a 4 channel amp and purchase speakers accordingly.

For example, I'm restoring a Cutlass Supreme. Right now it's a drivable project (meaning it's not done, yet I still drive it around), but I plan on doing a 4 or 6 channel sound system. I know what I want so I bought the speakers and put them in, powered by the radio ALTHOUGH I will be powering with an amp in due time. Because I know this, I looked around for an amp. I know it's a lot easier to get an amp with a rating of 100 watts x 4 @ 4 ohms , so I bought Alpine type R's in those specs. I got a good deal on em, and now I just have to finish what I'm doing before the install.

If I was in Negolien's situation, I would try to overpower the 6x9's by no more than 25 watts and I would set the gain on each channel appropriately. Usually, from what I've seen, channels 1 and 2 are considered one set and 3 and 4 are another and can be adjusted accordingly.

I chose the 6x9's over the 4x6's because the 6x9's are usually made to handle more than the 4x6's due to it's smaller cone size.

EDIT: I should mention that you need to make sure that the amps are stable at more than one type of ohm. Some can't handle 2ohms and some can't handle 8ohm, although they are rare. Never wire to 1ohm unless the amp can handle it.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited

Last edited by Nas Escobar : 05-07-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:57 PM   #19
JonStoltz
GX Member

JonStoltz is on a distinguished road
my brain waves are clipping and lobe coils smoking causing mental distortion. Negolien, the speaker loads should all be stable since amps can typically run at 4 OR 2 ohms. Im asking can it run at 4 AND 2 ohms. As in can an amp handle 2 different loads at once? As long as its stable at 4 or 2 ohms and the speakers are 4 and 2 ohms. Cause Nas, u said the first 2 channels are typically separarate than the other 2 which in theory i could run at different recommended loads. Id rather not run a ton of amps like u said. Please bear with me lol im actually learnin a lot from u guys
JonStoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #20
negolien
GL Member

The issue I ran into was the 4x6 amp turned out to be air cooled and much larger than I expected because I didn't look at the dimensions. I have not seen someone trying to power both 4ohm and 2ohm speakers of different power levels off the same amp. Not saying you can't but I haven't seen anyone using theirs as an example. One set of the speakers is not going to get the proper load. I didn't give the get a 4 channel amp and run two different ohm load speakers with vastly different power ratings off of it much thought to be honest.

I plan on using a distribution block in the trunk run off of 0 gauge from the battery. I' am going to run my Class D, the Excelon 4 channel and the 2 channel 4 ohm to run 4 sets of speakers. 1 pair of subs, 1 pair of 6x9s, 1 pair of 4x6's and 1 pair of 6.5 components. The 6.5s and the 6x9s will be run off the 4 channel. That amp allows the use of 1 set of rca's to power 2 pair of speakers. Should end up with a decent SQ system with a decent amount of punch. All at the scrooge level of spending I currently employ lol.