Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > At The Track

Old 10-02-2006, 07:58 AM   #1
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Daytona is on a distinguished road
I Won! I Won! I Won!

This past weekend at RP was the The NHRA Xplōd Sport Compact Racing Series "NHRA Sport Compact Fall Nationals" sponsored by Toyo Tires. Unlike the other big sport compact and import races there that are only sanctioned by NHRA, this one was actually RUN by them just like their regular Divisional races and National events. ESPN2 was even there filming it for later broadcast.

As usual, I ran my 100% stock Mitsubishi-engined Daytona in the B-1 bracket class (15.00 seconds and slower). Heavy rains in the morning caused a 2-hour delayed gate opening and extra drying time of the track. Then, unlike normal race days, they brough out the fastest pro classes first onto the cold track and worked their way back to the slower classes. Usually they build up the rubber by going slowest to fastest but not this time. My class didn't even get our 1st (and only) time shot until 5:30pm!!! Then after another 90-minute wait, it was Round Robin through to the Final Round. I ran the last 4 rounds all within 25 minutes of each other. And I definitely didn't even have time to cool the car down in between the later rounds. Earning the only bye run was great (for best RT 1st round) because it coincided with the semis and leaped me directly into the Finals.

As usual at these events, the field was packed with regular points racers so it was no picnic. There was even a points guy from Cecil and Atco running in our class. I took out fellow points racer Eddie Mockovack 1st round, though we all tried to avoid running each other 1st round as a sign of respect for our fellow points racers. There was a ladder beginning 2nd round so all future match-ups were unavoidable.

Apart from a glitch 2nd round (which ended up not mattering), my car ran dead on the number all evening. Ran within .01 seconds of my time shot all night (except 2nd round, obviously).

In the Finals I faced Ryan Rodriguez who had beaten me in the Finals of the Spring SportCompact race. He had just beaten another tough points guy Pat Glade in the Semis. This time I won our match-up on a very tight race from the lights to the finish with me barely eeking out the win on a double-breakout (-0.001 seconds for me to Ryan's -0.027).

I got my picture taken in the winner's circle with my car & someone from NHRA for National Dragster magazine and the local Raceway News newspaper. And, being it was an NHRA-run event I also won a "Wally", the same trophy they hand out to National Event winners!!!

See photo here of some Wally's held by the 2003 overall points champions of NHRA Summit Sport Compact Drag Racing Series – George Ioannou, Nelson Hoyos, Cesar Febus, Marty Ladwig, and Scott Mohler (NHRA's Wally Parks in the suit): http://www.urbanracer.com/gallery/ar...rds/splash.jpg

The trophy's heavy - probably 5-8 pounds. And big! SWEET!!!!! It and my Event Winner hat are now sitting above my TV in my living room. I also received 2 Event Winner stickers and a gold RP Eliminator sticker for my car. Signed some forms to get extra contingency $$$ from sponsors, including Summit, for using their products and having their stickers on my car, though I don't know how much they'll be paying me. Too bad I switched from Goodyear's to Firestones a few years back and Dodge backed out 2 years ago from contingency payouts or else I'd be raking in even more bonus money!

To cap it all off, I got $250 in cash from the track! It was supposed to be $500, but the rain delays caused NHRA to cap the number of vehicles racing so they cut all the payouts in half as well.

WOOHOO!!!!!! I am SO freakin' pyched! I started calling everyone in my cell phone list on the way home, including Redog - most of whom, including Ken, didn't answer. But that's okay. It doesn't take away from the fact that I am now an NHRA SportCompact National Event winner!!!!!

Last edited by Daytona : 10-02-2006 at 12:51 PM.
Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:01 AM   #2
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
damn dude, CONGRATS!!!
Old 10-02-2006, 09:46 AM   #3
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
red hot man.....that gets me thinking.......15 seconds and slower....I'm bringing my Razor scooter to the track. Do I have to wear a helmet?

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:51 AM   #4
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
red hot man.....that gets me thinking.......15 seconds and slower....I'm bringing my Razor scooter to the track. Do I have to wear a helmet?
yes, and elbow and knee pads
Old 10-02-2006, 09:52 AM   #5
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
thats awsome that you won a wally....... congrats

SweetNLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:04 AM   #6
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Dude that's cool!! I was thinking about going to that but the fund sistuaion is low and even more so since the Delta is at teh shop.

I'm def taking the ALero to the import day on Oct 22nd, maybe I'll see you there.

I would have answered if you called my house, the cell doesn't work inside the house

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:04 AM   #7
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
congrats on the wally dood
Old 10-02-2006, 12:46 PM   #8
jturkey69
V.I.P. Member

jturkey69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to jturkey69
Congrats!!!
2005 Nissan Altima SE-R 6spd MODDED! (wifes pocket rocket)
1998 Ford Explorer AWD 5.0...modded, and fun DD

jturkey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:56 PM   #9
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Thanks, all! I'm still in "overly happy" mode right now. Noticed they didn't include the Bracket class winners in the main article on the front page of the series website: http://www.nhrasportcompact.com/ but that's okay. I'm still a National Event winner, the money's still mine, and the trophy's staying in my home.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:07 PM   #10
battistoni21
V.I.P. Member

battistoni21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to battistoni21
thats awsome dude, congrats!
battistoni21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:23 PM   #11
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
That's why I wanted to go, the dyno challage

Dood congrats again

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 10-02-2006, 01:33 PM   #12
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
That's why I wanted to go, the dyno challage

Dood congrats again

The free dyno challenge got booked up fast. I went over at 1:30pm only to find out that they had closed out the entries (gates opened at 10:15 and took most of us an hour to get into the pits). After the winners were announced at 3pm they opened the dyno back up but all pulls then cost you. $30 for 3 hp pulls, $40 for 3 hp & torque, and $50 for 3 hp, torque, & air/fuel mixture. (or maybe it was $20, $40, $60 - I forget). I know that's really cheap compared to what shops normally charge you but I didn't want to hassle, especially since I was afraid of screwing anything up on the car before time shots. One of the girls I raced said they blew her motor on a dyno comp pull one year and wouldn't reimburse her for repairs. Didn't think my all-stock motor would tank but figured I'd leave well enough alone. If I was able to get some free pulls then maybe but didn't feel like handing them the last of my cash from my pocket (not knowing for sure if I was going to win it all back later).
Old 10-06-2006, 01:45 PM   #13
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

They finally posted pics of the race on UrbanRacer.com. Here's 2 of me in the winner's circle:

And here's a few of the bikini contest. Would show you more but with the dental floss some of the girls were wearing, the pics would not be office-safe, nor Aleormod-safe (knowing all the leg-humpers we have here). It was $1,500 or $2,500 to win (I forget which) so they were going all out for the money.

Last edited by Daytona : 10-06-2006 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:26 PM   #14
Coldfire
GL Member

Coldfire is an unknown quantity at this point
Congratulations
Coldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 12:18 AM   #15
jturkey69
V.I.P. Member

jturkey69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to jturkey69
what do you mean by all out for the money...lol
2005 Nissan Altima SE-R 6spd MODDED! (wifes pocket rocket)
1998 Ford Explorer AWD 5.0...modded, and fun DD

Last edited by jturkey69 : 10-07-2006 at 12:18 AM. Reason: text
jturkey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 01:10 AM   #16
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
I think he explained that with "not office safe"

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 01:24 AM   #17
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jturkey69 View Post
what do you mean by all out for the money...lol

Just means "Which girl gonna give the best S&F"

I watched those contests at E-Town before and every one of those girls are skanks. I wouldn't touch them with a 12 foot pole, let alone anything else

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 10-16-2006, 02:12 PM   #18
steve-o
Canadian... Eh?

steve-o is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to steve-o
looks like a fun time, congrats

02 Alero - ecotec - 5 Spd - Springtech springs - KYB GR2 struts - CAI - Sacchi