Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > Aleromod.com Showcase

Old 02-16-2013, 12:07 AM   #1
MiLo
GX Member

MiLo is on a distinguished road
Asking For Help From The Vets

Alright ya'll I need some assistance PLEASE!!!!!

my story line......
i just bought my lero from an older woman and this car is as basic as it gets.. 2004 gls or gl im not sure, i have to double check.. but i did notice the 2.2 ecotec on the engine (thought i might point that out)... one of my buddies from work is a ricer and pointed me in this direction to these forums... i'm really new to this site and was looking through a lot of the topics that were on the forums...

ok so i was wondering if anyone has had any problems with like the power steering going out only when i turn left... (weird) i figure its something wrong in the steering column cuz if it were the power steering it wouldnt turn in both directions not just left...

then the other problem is the passenger side headlight... i have to literally punch it a couple times for it to turn on... then while im driving if i hit a pot hole it would turn off again.. if i hit a bump or something back on it goes... on off on off on off the whole ride... smdh...

any ideas or suggestions??????????
MiLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:12 AM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Wow. Your buddy is a ricer, so he suggested this site? Low blow man... Though there is some rice floating around here, a lot of us are far from it.

GLS has all options basically if yours is basic as it gets. It's either the GL or GX
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:50 AM   #3
zman246
GX Member

zman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond repute
Try unplugging the headlight and plugging it back in. It might just be loose or there might be a little crap in the connectors. Don't touch the bulb though. Oil from your skin on the bulb can shorten the lif of the bulb. Good luck
zman246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #4
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Yeah, check the connection at the bulb for loosens. Also while its apart check and make sure it's not burned.

For you p/s concern start with some basics... Make sure your tire pressures are set and u have proper fluid and proper fluid level in the pump
Old 02-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
WOW please tell me this "ricer" drives a Honda and he simply knew about this site?

I mean I'll be honest, everyone does something rice in their lifetime (I kinda consider my projectors rice) but nobody here says "VTEC POWAHHHHH" or "NAWWWWWWWWWWSSSSSSSSSS"

Anyways, you may have a short on your headlight. Check to see that all connections are good, then trace the wires as far as you can. Also touch them to make sure they're not oddly hot.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
MiLo
GX Member

@ nas... Yeah this guy drives a honda... He said he has a buddy that drives an alero and was on this site. I forget his name tho.. And yeah he sounds just like that... Lmao.. dude told me to buy some kind of grease to put on the connector. I can buy it at any auto part store.. It supposed to keep the connection flowing.. Idk...
Old 02-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
MiLo
GX Member

@graham & zman... Bulb not burnt.. I know better than to touch it with my bare hands...
Im gonna check the connection...

ok now what about the power steering problem? Has anyone ever experienced this problem? I heard today out can be the rack and pinion? Who knows about this type problem?
Old 02-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #8
03Sleepr
Premier V.I.P. Member

03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiLo View Post
@ nas... Yeah this guy drives a honda... He said he has a buddy that drives an alero and was on this site. I forget his name tho.. And yeah he sounds just like that... Lmao.. dude told me to buy some kind of grease to put on the connector. I can buy it at any auto part store.. It supposed to keep the connection flowing.. Idk...

please tell me he isn't talking about dielectric grease...If he is, then don't listen to your ricer buddy about anything..

the only thing that will do is kill the circuit, electricity doesn't flow well through dielectric grease. it is used as a sealer on rubber gaskets and spark plug boots to keep water out of connections, because it doesn't break down with heat or electricity.
03Sleepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #9
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
@graham & zman... Bulb not burnt.. I know better than to touch it with my bare hands...

ok now what about the power steering problem? Has anyone ever experienced this problem? I heard today out can be the rack and pinion? Who knows about this type problem?
No no. Ment for u to check the connector for burns. U have a loose connection at the bulb/headlight connections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Sleepr View Post
please tell me he isn't talking about dielectric grease...If he is, then don't listen to your ricer buddy about anything..

the only thing that will do is kill the circuit, electricity doesn't flow well through dielectric grease. it is used as a sealer on rubber gaskets and spark plug boots to keep water out of connections, because it doesn't break down with heat or electricity.
Not true at all! Dialectic grease will NOT effect the circuit UNLESS u put soo much grease on the terminals that it physically keeps the circuits apart. It's there to help promote an electrical connection between berween the terminals. However your right that it does not conduct electricity by its self. It's good stuff! Highly recommend it with connections out in the elements. Google it up. U will only have issues if u miss use it. GM even recommends issuing it to stop "fretting corrosion"
Old 02-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #10
MiLo
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Sleepr View Post

Soo, u mean to tell me that this grease does nothing but screw my lights up?
Old 02-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #11
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Where you from?
Old 02-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #12
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Soo, u mean to tell me that this grease does nothing but screw my lights up?

he is off, if you put too much then yes it can cause harm, however if you use a moderate amount which is enough to create a barrier to prevent dirt and other contaminates from getting in the connection it helps...read the post right below his...we drive on a lot of dirt roads and construction sites with our stuff, and we had a trailer and the lights were doing similar to what you describe your headlights doing and after blowing out the connection and putting in dielectric grease (even after just blowing them out it still wasn't wanting to work quite right), the lights actually held a constant connection, where as I was having a hard time getting them to stay on.

Last edited by 03glgold : 02-16-2013 at 10:37 PM.
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #13
MiLo
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
No no. Ment for u to check the connector for burns. U have a loose connection at the bulb/headlight connections.

Not true at all! Dialectic grease will NOT effect the circuit UNLESS u put soo much grease on the terminals that it physically keeps the circuits apart. It's there to help promote an electrical connection between berween the terminals. However your right that it does not conduct electricity by its self. It's good stuff! Highly recommend it with connections out in the elements. Google it up. U will only have issues if u miss use it. GM even recommends issuing it to stop "fretting corrosion"

Alright, lets say I wanted to bypass all this crap with my headlight and just go ahead and get me some HID lights would I still need to fix this connection problem?
Old 02-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #14
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

Most likely. Look: you moving the light effects the bulb. Swap bulb from left to right and make sure ur problem does or does not follow the bulb. If ur proble. Moves with the bulb the. There is ur problem. If it doesn't move, remove the light and leave it plugged in. Next wiggle each wire from the headlight back to find out where ur issue is. Repair as nessasary. Look for ANY damage to the wires and don't over look anything. You are describing a very small problem with a probabable easy repair. Don't jimmy-rig $hit that could be repaired with a little common sence and desire.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:58 PM   #15
MiLo
GX Member

Sorry im just having some trouble with this concept of this grease,lol.. Its just the first time I'm hearing about it... I'm still trying to figure if its easier/cheaper to just have some mechanic do it for me. I'd prefer to do it myself so I can learn. Then again I want to spend the least amount of cash.. (i.e. blown bulbs, new wires n shit)
Old 02-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #16
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
what he is suggesting is simple trouble shooting...it will be cheaper if you do it yourself, it is likely it is either a bulb problem or a connection issue within the connector...If not all you have to do is follow the wires back from the light until you find the weak spot in the wire and there will be one...another question do your brights have the same problem
Old 02-16-2013, 11:07 PM   #17
MiLo
GX Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
Most likely. Look: you moving the light effects the bulb. Swap bulb from left to right and make sure ur problem does or does not follow the bulb. If ur proble. Moves with the bulb the. There is ur problem. If it doesn't move, remove the light and leave it plugged in. Next wiggle each wire from the headlight back to find out where ur issue is. Repair as nessasary. Look for ANY damage to the wires and don't over look anything. You are describing a very small problem with a probabable easy repair. Don't jimmy-rig $hit that could be repaired with a little common sence and desire.

Alright that makes sense.. I'm gonna check this out tomorrow... We'll see what happens.. Will update onthis issue..
Now on to this other issue with power steering? Idk wtf is going on.. Lmao anyone ever have this problem?
Old 02-16-2013, 11:08 PM   #18
MiLo
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post
what he is suggesting is simple trouble shooting...it will be cheaper if you do it yourself, it is likely it is either a bulb problem or a connection issue within the connector...If not all you have to do is follow the wires back from the light until you find the weak spot in the wire and there will be one...another question do your brights have the same problem

Naw my brights are fine.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:12 PM   #19
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

Ill ask what I asked earlier. Are your tires properly inflated? How's ur power steering fluid level? Does this concern happen on loose ground like dirt or snow?
Old 02-16-2013, 11:16 PM   #20
03glgold
GLS member

Quote:
Naw my brights are fine.

then it is likely a problem with the bulb...if not then the problem would most likely be the purple wire in the harness.