Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 04-03-2004, 11:59 AM   #1
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
Q: What is a CAI or Cold Air Intake? What does it do?
A: A Cold Air Intake (CAI for short) is a more efficient way to deliver oxygen to your engine. As you probably know, your engine requires fuel and oxygen to run. Generally, the more oxygen your car has to burn, the more efficient the engine will be. CAI's replace your factory air box and plumbing with a cone filter like a K&N filter and larger diameter tubing. Most CAI systems route the filter to behind the fender, where it can get cool air from outside the engine compartment. Generally, colder air has more molecules of oxygen per unit volume (it is more dense) than hot air.

Q: Okay, but how much performance should I gain by installing a CAI?
A: That really depends on what other mods you do, and what kind of setup you install. I'd say the average gain with a CAI setup is somewhere between 3 and 7 horsepower. Claims of 20+ horsepower from a CAI are generally BS.

Q: How hard are they to install?
A: If you buy a kit made for an Alero or Grand Am, installation is pretty easy. You will need a socket set, a screwdriver set, and some plyers. It is more of a time-consuming installation than a difficult one.

Q: Who sells CAI's for Aleros?
A: Several manufacturers sell CAI kits for Aleros. I'll do my best to make a list, anyone else who has anything to add may do so. Each engine has a different type of CAI. If you don't know what engine you have, you probably shouldn't be thinking of modding it... but you can tell by opening your hood and looking at the numbers on the engine's upper intake.

Q: Can I make my own for cheaper?
A: Sure you can... I will provide instructions by our members on how to make your own. However, fit and finish might not be up to par with the pre-made kits, and you will have to do a little cutting and such to get it to work correctly.

Q: Isn't a WAI (Warm Air Intake) better than a CAI? Aren't they safer?
A: They are definately safer. With Cold Air Intakes, you run the small risk of sucking water into your intake. This can cause many problems... It is not very common to happen, but it can, especially if the front of your car gets submerged in a really deep puddle for an extended period of time. Some have argued that WAI gives you more HP than a CAI. I have not seen any concrete proof of that claim, and it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense, except that the shorter distance for air to flow could make for better throttle response. I still maintain that a CAI setup is superior to a WAI setup.

3400 Engine-
American Performance of Colorado Their prices are $165-$205
Doctorspeed Their cost is $190 for the CAI, but they also offer 2 types of WAIs from $60-$120
RSM Racing Offers a WAI setup for $150

2.4L Twin Cam
Induction Dynamics offers a CAI for $265
RSM Racing offers a WAI setup for $199

2.2L Ecotec
Induction Dynamics offers a CAI for $315
... will continue later

Naich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 05:31 PM   #2
Naich
The Founder

How To Build A CAI for ~$60 for the 3400
Submitted by Sweetalero99
Quote:
DIFFICULTY:
TIME:

u will need a grinder with a cutoff wheel or a hacksaw will work to.

go to ebay and buy urself an 98-02 HONDA ACCORD CAI setup. u can get these from anywhere to $40-$50 shipped.

u will get 2 tubes. one is shaped like an L..... this is ur top tube. u will need to trim 6 inches or so off this tube. just line it up and trim till u get the length right.

the second tube is shaped like an S. trim the bottom curve off that has the 2 connections for vaccum lines. again its about 6 inches or so. just trim till u get it to fit.

u will need to get 1 or 2 bigger couplers to fit the tube onto ur MAF. and if u want to replace the accordian connection between the MAF and Throttle Body that comes stock on ur car..... just use another coupler between those 2 and get grommets from autozone to plug the IAT sensor into.

and there u have it. an intake nearly identical and as nice lookin as similar CAIs out there.

u guys can thank me laterĀ;-)

Old 04-03-2004, 05:34 PM   #3
Naich
The Founder

Build Your Own CAI For $100 (Civic Intake Method) for the 3400
Quote:
I recently build my own CAI. It was pretty easy, required parts from Home Depot/Lowe's, AutoZone, and K&N.

AutoZone sells a 3 1/2" tube meant for the Civic/Integra 94-00 or so, purchase one of these for $45. Lowe's (or your local hardware store) can hook you up with rubber 3 1/2" tube meant for sewage plumbing, it works well for this application. You'll need one elbow and one straight connector, about 4" long, total $15. Also order from K&N or a retailer the cone filter that's about 10" long and has the 3 1/2" coupling, about $40.

You'll also need a screwdriver, some sockets and a long socket driver, a heavy duty Saws-All for cutting a bit of metal out, a jack, and about 3 hours. The Saws-All is the only item you probably won't have already, but find one, dammit! Note: Two people will make the install much easier and faster.

First, remove your driver's headlight and the battery, then jack up the drivers side and remove the wheel. Remove the plastic fenderwell (only the front part) by pulling the plastic fasteners out. You may damage a few, but any local GM dealership will have them in stock for 10 cents apiece or so. Two of the fasteners are actually metal screws, 10mm I believe, these are the ones directly behind the rotor. Hold the fenderwell in place by sticking it under the rotor for now.

Remove the stock airbox. There are two 10mm bolts holding the entire unit in place. Keep it if you plan on ever selling the car.

Remove the intake resonator; it's a plastic piece that fills the entire front fender. It's huge. You'll have to split it into two pieces to wrangle it out, all you have to do is find the seam between the part that's under the headlight and the large section, pull it apart, and both pieces will come loose. There is a 10mm metal bolt holding the bottom part in place. You can throw the pieces you remove from here into your trash can, with much happiness.

Now the tricky (but still easy) part. You'll see a triangular cutout in your metal right next to your washer fluid pipe. Several wires run through it. The side of it closest to the quarter panel is only an inch wide. Using the Saws-All, remove it. It's meant to pass the wires through, so removing this small piece will not damage anything. I went through two saw bits removing it, and it does get rather hot. Careful not to cut through the wires running through it or washer fluid pipe next to it. I recommend eye goggles and gloves. Don't get discouraged, it will take a few minutes to get through, but it's very easy to do once you locate the correct places to cut. This will give you room to stick the pipe through.

Now you're ready to assemble. Attach the small rubber coupler to the end of the K&N and fasten it very tightly. Stick the filter/coupler combo into the fenderwell, where the resonator was. Run the metal Civic inake tube through the place where you cut the metal out, and attach it in the fenderwell to the filter/coupler. Attach the rubber elbow to the top of the metal intake tube, which will be right where the stock airbox was formerly. Run your stock rubber tube that's connected to the engine into the other side of the elbow. Make sure everything is connected tightly, and reassemble the rest of your car.

I did this after already having the K&N replacing the airbox for some time, and relocating it to the fenderwell made all the difference in the world. You should now have no trouble burning rubber from a dead stop. You'll notice higher shift points and a good deal more pickup.

Happy modding! If you're interested, I can post pics. If you have any suggestions for a metal piece to replace the rubber elbow, or anything else that could make this mod even better, post it here!

Old 04-04-2004, 03:07 PM   #4
Naich
The Founder

For an installation guide on how to install an APOC intake in the 3400, read this article... http://invision.aleromod.com/index.php?showforum=8

Old 04-05-2004, 04:12 PM   #5
alerocity

Quote:
Originally posted by Naich@Apr 3 2004, 04:31 PM
How To Build A CAI for ~$60
Submitted by Sweetalero99
Quote:
DIFFICULTY:
TIME:

u will need a grinder with a cutoff wheel or a hacksaw will work to.

go to ebay and buy urself an 98-02 HONDA ACCORD CAI setup. u can get these from anywhere to $40-$50 shipped.

u will get 2 tubes. one is shaped like an L..... this is ur top tube. u will need to trim 6 inches or so off this tube. just line it up and trim till u get the length right.

the second tube is shaped like an S. trim the bottom curve off that has the 2 connections for vaccum lines. again its about 6 inches or so. just trim till u get it to fit.

u will need to get 1 or 2 bigger couplers to fit the tube onto ur MAF. and if u want to replace the accordian connection between the MAF and Throttle Body that comes stock on ur car..... just use another coupler between those 2 and get grommets from autozone to plug the IAT sensor into.

and there u have it. an intake nearly identical and as nice lookin as similar CAIs out there.

u guys can thank me laterĀ;-)
is this for the ecotec
Old 04-05-2004, 05:25 PM   #6
Naich
The Founder

Quote:
is this for the ecotec
no, the how-to builds are for the 3400 only.

Old 04-05-2004, 05:50 PM   #7
alerocity

Quote:
Originally posted by Naich@Apr 5 2004, 03:25 PM
Quote:
is this for the ecotec
will there be a how to for the ecotec
Old 04-05-2004, 06:20 PM   #8
Naich
The Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by malik+Apr 5 2004, 05:50 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (malik @ Apr 5 2004, 05:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Naich@Apr 5 2004, 03:25 PM
Quote:
is this for the ecotec
will there be a how to for the ecotec [/b][/quote]
the intakes for the ecotec and 2.4L twin cam are pretty complicated. I think you would just be better off buying one of the premade kits.... otherwise you'd need a pipe bender to get the pieces to route correctly around the battery.

Old 04-05-2004, 06:37 PM   #9
alerocity

Quote:
Originally posted by Naich+Apr 5 2004, 04:20 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Naich @ Apr 5 2004, 04:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by malik@Apr 5 2004, 05:50 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Naich
Quote:
@Apr 5 2004, 03:25 PM
Quote:
is this for the ecotec

the intakes for the ecotec and 2.4L twin cam are pretty complicated. I think you would just be better off buying one of the premade kits.... otherwise you'd need a pipe bender to get the pieces to route correctly around the battery. [/b][/quote]
i wasn't talking about the 2.4L twin cam, i was talking about the 2003 2.2L ecotec
Old 04-05-2004, 07:33 PM   #10
Naich
The Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by malik+Apr 5 2004, 06:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (malik @ Apr 5 2004, 06:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Naich@Apr 5 2004, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by malik@Apr 5 2004, 05:50 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Naich
Quote:
Quote:
@Apr 5 2004, 03:25 PM
Quote:
is this for the ecotec

the intakes for the ecotec and 2.4L twin cam are pretty complicated. I think you would just be better off buying one of the premade kits.... otherwise you'd need a pipe bender to get the pieces to route correctly around the battery.
i wasn't talking about the 2.4L twin cam, i was talking about the 2003 2.2L ecotec [/b][/quote]
hence, why I said "intakes for the ecotec and 2.4L twin cam are pretty complicated"....

Old 04-06-2004, 03:31 AM   #11
'04 aler-ho

if you can find some plastic tubing, it is better than aluminum ar stainless. plastic does not absorb the heat like metal ones will. therefore a plastic one is better. the hard part is finding a plastic that will withstand the temps of your engine bay. stay away from pvc at all costs. it will work, but when heated it lets off a strong "poisonous" gas
Old 04-06-2004, 08:16 AM   #12
Naich
The Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by '04 aler-ho@Apr 6 2004, 03:31 AM
if you can find some plastic tubing, it is better than aluminum ar stainless. plastic does not absorb the heat like metal ones will. therefore a plastic one is better. the hard part is finding a plastic that will withstand the temps of your engine bay. stay away from pvc at all costs. it will work, but when heated it lets off a strong "poisonous" gas
Well, not necessarily. First, plastic looks ghetto. Second, the interior surfaces of plastic pipe is very rough. The rough inside surfaces will actually add turbulance to the air flow, and not let it work as well. Also, plastic pipes can't be bent like metal tubing... so to route it around your engine bay, you will have to use a bunch of elbows with a larger diameter joint. Stick with the metal.

I think the AEM short ram might be plastic, but I'm not sure. I don't think you'll find a plastic intake on the market because they would cost too much to make properly.

Old 04-07-2004, 01:51 AM   #13
99ALERO

Quote:
Originally posted by Naich@Apr 4 2004, 02:07 PM
For an installation guide on how to install an APOC intake in the 3400, read this article... http://invision.aleromod.com/index.php?showforum=8
I think he ment this one http://invision.aleromod.com/index.php?showtopic=996
Old 04-07-2004, 02:00 AM   #14
Naich
The Founder

^^ yep, sorry... must have copied the wrong link