Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 12-16-2011, 07:36 AM   #1
Black_Mamba
GX Member

Black_Mamba is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Black_Mamba
Exclamation spark plugs?

this morning I wake up to go to work and my service engine light is flashing on and off and the car is running really rough, feels like its misfiring like crazyyy. the ligjht shut off after about 30 seconds and the car went to its regular idle. when I got to work I took out the DTC reader and of course no codes were displayed.

My first thouight is spark plugs & wires. Anyone think different? let me know.

2001 GLS 3.4L Coupe "Black Mamba"

Mods: K&N Cold Air Intake, 8000k H.I.D. Low Beam, 3000k H.I.D. Fog Lights.
Wants: SLP Exhaust, Ported UIM & LIM, 65mm TB, Lowering Springs, Rims, Black Interior.
Black_Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
when the SES light flashes its due to a "catalyst damaging missfire". my college roomate had busted cats on his truck and every once in a while it would plug the exhaust up and it would run like shit. the SES light would flash thne too. pretty much anything that can cause a bad enough missfire will cause your concern. but seeings how inspecting your wires and plugs is free... id do that first. could also be a bad sensor causing it too. thats why a good code ready may be nessasary. youmight not have a CURRENT code but you should still ahve a history code.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
^what he said.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
Black_Mamba
GX Member

It turned out to be the spark plug wires so i ordered new ones, while im at it i might as well get new plugs. Any suggestions for plugs on a 3.4? Im thinking of NGK Ix Iridium's

As for the wires, I ordered 8.5mm wires from MMS

Wants: SLP Exhaust, Ported UIM & LIM, 65mm TB, Lowering Springs, Rims, Black Interior.

Last edited by Black_Mamba : 12-17-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #5
Thewolf
GX Member

Thewolf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Mamba View Post
It turned out to be the spark plug wires so i ordered new ones, while im at it i might as well get new plugs. Any suggestions for plugs on a 3.4? Im thinking of NGK Ix Iridium's

As for the wires, I ordered 8.5mm wires from MMS

For the NGK Iridium's. I've had those on my 3100 lumina for like 4-5 years and not even a problem! No problems with misfiring or what so ever. It's just when people go the cheap way and buy the "V-power" and the E3 spark plugs they have problems with that.

EDIT: I'm going to do a tune-up on my alero and I bought the NGK Iridium's and the NGK plug wires. I'm not sure how the NGK plug wires will work on the 3400...
Thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:38 PM   #6
Black_Mamba
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewolf View Post
For the NGK Iridium's. I've had those on my 3100 lumina for like 4-5 years and not even a problem! No problems with misfiring or what so ever. It's just when people go the cheap way and buy the "V-power" and the E3 spark plugs they have problems with that.

EDIT: I'm going to do a tune-up on my alero and I bought the NGK Iridium's and the NGK plug wires. I'm not sure how the NGK plug wires will work on the 3400...

Let me know how the wires work out. I'm waiting on my 8.5mm wires from Milzy motorsports & I'm putting the plugs in tomorrow

Old 12-21-2011, 06:01 PM   #7
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Stock ACDelcos. Everything else I had problems with

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:07 PM   #8
Thewolf
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Mamba View Post
Let me know how the wires work out. I'm waiting on my 8.5mm wires from Milzy motorsports & I'm putting the plugs in tomorrow

Ok but you'll have to wait until next spring for that response lol. It would of been better if the NGK wires came in red though, blue on a red car does not flow properly lol.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #9
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewolf View Post

NGK wires work pretty good. I've had em in my car for 1 1/2 years with no problems. NGK plugs should work flawlessly because they make plugs for AC Delco. IIRC, my plugs were stamped with "NGK", but don 't quote me on that.

Always always always avoid bosch plugs at all costs.. They ran fine in my car for 8 months and then they started causing the worst misfires at idle.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:26 PM   #10
Thewolf
GX Member

I remember having the bosch wires on my lumina, they worked good no misfires or anything. But bosch plugs on the other hand...
Old 12-25-2011, 10:37 AM   #11
BlackV6
GX Member

BlackV6 is on a distinguished road
I use Rapid Fire # 14 colder for boost
BlackV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:10 PM   #12
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Hey black, try autolite 104's next time you get plugs, gap them @ .050" for up to 8lb boost, 45 for up too 12lb and down to 42 tho for boost above that. The 6's seem to really like them in compression applications.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:13 AM   #13
BlackV6
GX Member

BlackV6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
Hey black, try autolite 104's next time you get plugs, gap them @ .050" for up to 8lb boost, 45 for up too 12lb and down to 42 tho for boost above that. The 6's seem to really like them in compression applications.

Thanks , Ill put that in the notebook !!!
BlackV6 is offline   Reply With Quote