Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 12-15-2003, 09:17 PM   #1
cutlass442dude

Could someone tell me what kind of transaxle the 99 alero 2.4L has in it and what the gear ratios are? thanks
Old 12-15-2003, 10:06 PM   #2
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
if auto it is the 4t40-E tranny. more info here. http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/...s/4t40_main.htm
Old 12-17-2003, 11:31 PM   #3
cutlass442dude

That would be the 2000 transaxle, the 99 is different from the 00' tranny. I'm pretty sure thats right. I want the 99 if anyone can help, thanks.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:14 AM   #4
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
trying to find info on the 99 tranny is difficult. I have been unsucessful with this. Maybe trying to get specs from dealer or GM might be the best bet.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:30 AM   #5
Final-Reality

It's the same 4t40-e they've been using in other cars for years...
Old 12-18-2003, 12:09 PM   #6
cutlass442dude

I know for a fact that it is not the 4t-40-e , because when you calculate the gear ratios with tire size and rpm the speed never adds up right , so therefore, it must have different ratios than the 4t-40-e. and again therefore it cant be the 4t-40-e transaxle.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:19 PM   #7
misslindseysue

PM overdrive75. He works with the 4T40E and 4T45E every day, and will know (or can find out) anything you'd ever want to know.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:33 PM   #8
overdrive75

Yes the 99 auto was the 4t40E. You are probably using a crude way to calculate you ratios, using the tach and the speedo. That doesn't work, it doesn't account for Torque converter effects. The only way to calculate is the read the input speed sensor, and out put speed sensor with a scan tool, and calculate from there, taking into account chain ratio and final drive ratio.
Old 12-20-2003, 04:56 AM   #9
Final-Reality

Can the 4T40-e, or any other transmission/transaxle for that matter, not have different ratios from others of the same model? (Hint: the answer is "Yes, why it can have different ratios.")

Whether the '99 4T40-e has different ratios from the '00-up 4T40-e is a different matter, but I highly doubt it does. Maybe just the differential is a different ratio, that would be most likely.