Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 11-18-2003, 07:38 PM   #1
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
Thumbs up

I have recently purchased an '03 alero sports sedan (glx/gx?????) do all of the sport model alero's have such a responsive suspension? I mean for stock suspension its great! my stock suspension handles better than a friends '01 gt, with H&R's and koni adjustables. ok to my questions, how does the stock spring rates compare to eibach's and H&R's, will I lose response changing to either, and i'm looking at 18" wheels and tires, will the short springs limit me to 17's? any help appreciated!
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 08:22 PM   #2
3.4Alero

I've found the Eibach's to be a great spring for competitive racing. The drop is just enough to get rid of the monster truck look too. I don't know the rates of the stock springs, but the Eibachs are:

Front: Progressive; 171#-234#
Rear: Progressive; 87#-143#
(Thanks to mfuller for this info)

You will be fine with 18's, as long as you keep the right diameter. With 18's you should get 225-40-18's, with 17's you should get 225-45-17's. You can go to 235's and you will still be fine also.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:25 PM   #3
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

do the eibach's give the solid everyday ride also, i like to feel all the bumps in the road!
Old 11-19-2003, 07:41 AM   #4
3.4Alero

Oh, you will feel more bumps, but it's not horrible. I also found a bit more bump steer in my car.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:34 PM   #5
Pellinore
GX Member

Pellinore is an unknown quantity at this point
I couldn't beleive the handling with the performace package you get from GM, for like $250 you got the springs and tires(not the greatest) and I have found not much difference between them and the eibachs, but like 3.4Alero said the car looks alot better with them.
Pellinore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 12:59 PM   #6
3.4Alero

At the limit, there is a BIG difference between the stock sport suspension package and eibachs. Believe me, I did both autocross and road racing (not street racing, this is the REAL thing) before I put on the eibachs and after. You may not notice it during daily driving, but there is a difference at the limit.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:32 PM   #7
Pellinore
GX Member

Pellinore is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah i haven't done any real racing but i haven't noticed much of a difference when i have really pushed it, i guess i haven't pushed it far enough.
Pellinore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 07:03 PM   #8
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

thanks for the advice, i'll be installing eibach's and 18" cdr9's with nitto 555's, strut tower braces front and rear, and upgrade the sway bars with poly bushings! and I've got a guy thats gonna reprogram my ecu for for a bill and a half!
Old 11-21-2003, 09:47 AM   #9
alerov6

take some pics when u get the mods put in
Old 11-21-2003, 05:56 PM   #10
Final-Reality

I betcha I'd notice the difference in my daily drive every time I hit an empty on or off-ramp B)

Have you gotten any aftermarket roll-bars 3.4? And if so which ones? It'd be nice to balance the car with some off-throttle oversteer
Old 11-21-2003, 07:01 PM   #11
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

I'm still investigating all the suspension parts for the lethal combination, i'll keep you posted on my decisions, i have to wait until after christmas now, so there is gonna be a month or so delay, DAM HOLIDAYS!
Old 11-28-2003, 09:58 AM   #12
misslindseysue

Slow day at work today... anyway, just wanted to say, nice choice with the CDR9s. I'm really happy with my 17's (lots of potholes in MI). Just make sure you get the hub-centric rings with them. Idiots at Discount Tire balanced them three times before they mentioned the rings.
Old 11-29-2003, 02:36 AM   #13
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

silly question here but what are hub centric rings?
Old 12-01-2003, 05:32 PM   #14
dopey

id recommed intrax springs opposed to eibachs. i speak from experience on this..... intrax give abit more of an overall drop in stance.... along with better ride quailty. both are great springs but i prefer the intrax.

i have intrax, kyb struts, and 18inch rims. and believe me u feel every bump.

3.4 do u have kybs yet?
Old 12-02-2003, 12:34 AM   #15
rodney
GX Member

rodney is an unknown quantity at this point
do all grand am gts (99+) come with the "sport suspension"
rodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 01:39 AM   #16
dopey

the main difference between gt's and alero gls.... opposed to the grand am se and alero gx and so on is i believe a difference in the stiffness of the shocks and afew other things. nothin major though. and im not exactly positive if this is even tru. just what i "heard"
Old 12-02-2003, 09:36 AM   #17
mfuller

Quote:
Originally posted by rodney@Dec 1 2003, 11:34 PM
do all grand am gts (99+) come with the "sport suspension"
Yes, all 1999 and up Grand Am GTs come stock with the FE3 Sport Suspension.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:43 PM   #18
3.4Alero

Final - All I have is a front strut tower brace. More will come over the winter. It alone made a big difference, though.

Sweet - I still have the stock struts in. They are still OK, but will probably be changed out this winter.

No one has been able to confirm spring rates of the base and FE3 suspension as of yet, as far as I know.

jabartram, enlighten us on the reprogram. How will it be done, with what equipment, and what parameters will be changed?
Old 12-03-2003, 03:59 PM   #19
misslindseysue

Quote:
Originally posted by jabartram@Nov 29 2003, 02:36 AM
silly question here but what are hub centric rings?
Not silly, I had no clue.

Anyway, they're just little rings that you put on the hub, then put on the wheel. It helps center the wheel on the hub, otherwise they're impossible to balance right, and you get horrible hopping. I think there's a FAQ about wheels here somewhere that mentions them.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:34 AM   #20
swimmarz13

important question, do you /have you had any problems with the shock tower, do you need to replace the shocks and struts along with the lowering springs, and another question is what springs give you the best ride quality, i like the lowered look but i am not willing to sacrifice the quality for the look, thanks alot and go check out my ride in the other forum to give me some input
thanks