Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 04-05-2009, 01:16 AM   #41
volfenhag_alero
GX Member

volfenhag_alero is on a distinguished road
I have a set of wide fender flares coming sometime this week as I had said before
volfenhag_alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:18 AM   #42
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
Originally Posted by volfenhag_alero View Post
I have a set of wide fender flares coming sometime this week as I had said before
Good call on that. Reading > Me
Quote:
I also have a set of large fender flares coming in sometime this week... I will be molding them on as well... After this, the next project is the wide body rear quarter panel.
What do the flares look like?
Old 04-05-2009, 01:51 AM   #43
volfenhag_alero
GX Member

I'm pretty sure that they are 3.5" fender flares but there wasn't any real measurements on the site so I will post pics as soon as they come in... They look bigger than 3.5" but I'm not exactly sure
Old 04-05-2009, 02:20 AM   #44
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Something like this?

Old 04-05-2009, 02:31 AM   #45
adam337
GLS member

adam337 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to adam337
i wonder how this will turn out.. im hoping it will end up looking amazing.. but with rounded flares like that plus the vents.. im kinda scared it will look retarded :\
Lonnie: How would she feel if I took the booty one of the ladies has offered up.. What am I going to say... It's not my fault some gifts are better then others.
adam337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:37 AM   #46
volfenhag_alero
GX Member

No the flares are way bigger that that... Here's the link for what they look like.... http://app.vendio.com/img/template.jsp
Old 04-05-2009, 02:51 AM   #48
dragon8807
GL Member

dragon8807 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dragon8807
looks sweet
05 impreza 2.5rs 5spd - current car
dragon8807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:08 AM   #49
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
so your making the fender out of metal but yet your going to buy a flare thats fiberglass?? so why not make it out of metal??? and how deep is this vent your doing?? is it going to fit against the upper rail???
i can give you a thumbs up for being different, trust me i like different
when your done fabn` on the backside of the fender my advice would be to use a self-etching primer, and then apply a sealer so ya dont have to worry about rust
what kind of bond o are your going to use?? i recomend using evercoat rage gold, one of the best fillers out there, or you could use there kevlar reinforced filler, its corrosion resistant, water proof, and the kevlar stop any body work from dying back on ya ya wont see a line or nothing its amazing stuff and it cheap
i really wouldnt do the flare you picked out your this deep with metal work why not finish it with metal
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:58 AM   #50
KenshinZero
GLS member

KenshinZero is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdyman View Post
your this deep with metal work why not finish it with metal

Hes got a point.
KenshinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #51
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
maybe use the fiberglass as a template? get a good mold, then shape the metal?
Old 04-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #52
volfenhag_alero
GX Member

The reason I'm going to use fiberglass fender flares is bc I don't have the the metal shaping equipment to make them out of metal and I'm going to make sure they look right before I mount them on or mold them on... I'm sure what I have pictured in my head will look good.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:47 AM   #53
volfenhag_alero
GX Member

As for how deep the vent goes on the top part it is 2 1/4"- flush which puts the fender close to the fender frame top rail. The Vented part is 3/4"-2 3/4" and it doesn't even come close to hitting the frame underneith. Another reason for using the fiberglass fender flares is bc they are solid flares and it will help stiffen up the front fenders since my front bumper sits so low.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:31 PM   #54
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
not a fan....
Old 04-05-2009, 12:32 PM   #55
MattismodderX
GLS member

MattismodderX is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MattismodderX
i think a wide body like this would be pretty sweet on an alero
Old 04-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #56
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
The reason I'm going to use fiberglass fender flares is bc I don't have the the metal shaping equipment to make them out of metal and I'm going to make sure they look right before I mount them on or mold them on... I'm sure what I have pictured in my head will look good.

if you mold on a plastic piece to a metal piece.....its going to crack over time and look BAD. bring the fiberglass flares to a metal fab place and have them make flares for you out of metal.....then weld them on and you wont have to worry about cracking in the future.

Looks good so far, those fenders are going to look bad ass!
Old 04-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #57
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
metal welds can crack too, if you don't know what you are doing, or if you warp the shit out of the flares from not welding right you end up with a shitload of bondo which can also crack...
Old 04-05-2009, 12:38 PM   #58
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
metal welds can crack too, if you don't know what you are doing, or if you warp the shit out of the flares from not welding right you end up with a shitload of bondo which can also crack...

true.... and im hoping he knows how to weld good

Dont just run a steady bead.....make a bunch of tack welds along the flare, then run a little bead on one side, go to the other side run another little bead......then go to the other, REPEAT until done Make sure you test the welder on a scrap piece of metal before doing it though, so you can set up the voltage and wire speed
Old 04-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #59
KenshinZero
GLS member

KenshinZero is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by billytheman1188 View Post
true.... and im hoping he knows how to weld good

Dont just run a steady bead.....make a bunch of tack welds along the flare, then run a little bead on one side, go to the other side run another little bead......then go to the other, REPEAT until done Make sure you test the welder on a scrap piece of metal before doing it though, so you can set up the voltage and wire speed

theres alot more to welding than i thought, lol
KenshinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:51 PM   #60
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
Either get metal flares, or buy fiberglass fenders and do all the work on there... like they said fg molded to metal is going to end badly eventually..

FG on FG is a permanent bond, and so is a good welded piece. metal and fg will expand at different rates and cause cracks, not to mention it's just an overall much weaker bond between the 2 materials.