Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 12-22-2011, 02:37 PM   #1
luckilero7
GL Member

luckilero7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Belt Walking

Ok so here are several issues I'm having. Replaced the water pump and belt about a month ago and since then I've had a few issues. One, when the belt is on properly it is fine until applying throttle it THEN starts to squeak. As soon as it goes back to idle the squeak stops. Another issue is the belt will "walk", but only slightly. It will "walk" one belt ridge only on the power steering pulley on the back side of it (close to the fluid resivoir on the p.s. pump). When it does this, however, the squeaking is minimal or none at all. The belt came off completely today while driving, but did not break luckily. I checked all the pulleys for ease of spin and all seem fine. I have a spare tensioner to put on soon, but I am pretty sure that won't fix the problem. I checked the "play" in the p.s. pulley and its minimal/usual. I also started the car quickly without the belt on again to check the crank pulley and it has minimal/usual wobble to it and not sure that could be the issue either. The crank pulley also seems intact as the rubber inside of the pulley is still intact as well. I am guessing/hoping it may be the power steering pump/pulley itself, but would like to hear from others. Also, my service vehicle soon light is on, but when hooked up to a basic scanner there are no codes showing up.
luckilero7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
I had the same problem after I did the headgaskets. I had to pull the power steering pump pulley out just a little bit.

Watch these videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9qMtVVLXeY
& http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW_wpE3hG5k
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:28 PM   #3
luckilero7
GL Member

Thanks! Gives me a couple ideas of what to look for. I don't think the ps pulley can be pulled out or pushed in on the 3400 if I remember correctly. When I get free time I'll go thru everything.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:02 AM   #4
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
Also, make sure your harmonic balancer pulley isn't sticking out or anything... Mine did this and caused my belt to work it's way off track in a few spots... Even ate up 3 belts...
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:39 AM   #5
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
im pretty sure our pullly is just like every other p/s pully and it can be pushed in or pulled out with a special tool.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #6
luckilero7
GL Member

Yeah it can, sorry, checked out this morning. The ps pulley seems flush and in place. I'm gona check alignment of the pulleys because I'm thinking my alternator pulley may be a lil crooked and tensioner needs replaced. Just gona go thru one thing at a time till I find it.