Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 05-25-2016, 01:02 AM   #1
aroundincircles
GX Member

aroundincircles is on a distinguished road
What's the difference between...

the 3400 in the alero and the 3400 in say a Rendezvous? I know there is a 15HP and a 10ft/lbs difference between the two. I know the grand am GT has a 5/5 increase due to a different intake, is that correct? is that all the difference is, is exhaust and intake? or is there more? Sorry for the question I did a search and didn't find it, so if this has been discussed before, I will take a link to the discussion.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:53 AM   #2
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Programming.

The GAGT has a ram air system, but it's not all that great.

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:34 AM   #3
aroundincircles
GX Member

forgive my ignorance, but is there an easy way to program the system? I'm not looking for a rocket, but the engine just seems a bit sluggish sometimes. I have new spark plugs and wires coming in, to see if they make a difference. I don't know how old the ones that are on there are, and If I'm taking them out to check, I might as well replace.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:13 PM   #4
leroBob
GLS member

leroBob is an unknown quantity at this point
5hp isn't going to make a noticeable difference. The Transmission has different shift points as well. It's an engine platform that was introduced in 1980. It's basic technology is from the 70's. It's an engine with limited power without going to some pretty large expenses to get more out of it.

Good luck!
leroBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:25 PM   #5
aroundincircles
GX Member

I was looking at the 15hp/10ft/lbs increase, I know that's not a ton, but Maybe make it more peppy? when I'm on the freeway, not a lot happens unless I really put my foot down and make it down shift, but that doesn't seem to make it too happy. We'll see when the plugs and wires get in.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:53 AM   #6
Koots
GX Member

Koots is on a distinguished road
A custom ECU tune should get you the gain you want, even easier if you stick to a strict 91 Octane tune (power can still be made on 87 Octane). Even just tightening up the shifts and pressures in the transmission can make a nice change. That's all I've gotten the chance to change with HP Tuners on my 99' and it was noticeable how much more aggressive the transmission was (still kept all the stock torque management though). The car is still getting ready for the road, so my test drives were limited to the small dirt road next to my house. So I didn't make any fuel/spark changes. Currently going over the rear brakes and have to fix the power steering and I'll start logging my changes with HP Tuners for the benefit of the Board.

The best option would be an in-person tune done on a dyno, then just an in-person tune, finally our last option would be a mail order custom tune, which is still better than a handheld programmer like a Superchips (not that they make those for our Alero's).

But it sounds like something isn't quite right with your engine, I'd see if there are any diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's) stored in the ECU by using a scan tool, then try running some fuel system cleaner through your fuel tank. I like to run slightly higher concentrations than they recommend if the engine feels sluggish. Something like Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil have had the most noticeable effect for me, from most generic fuel system cleaners. MMO also lubricates, so it helps quiet the in tank fuel pumps as well and lubricate the top end.

If that doesn't help at all and your engine is working as it should and it's just the stock power you are disappointed in, then a tune will wake it up like you want.
Koots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:11 AM   #7
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
If you want 15hp maybe cold air intake and exhaust can get you on your way. Also, a shift improver kit may help the car feel quicker. As Koots said though, it sounds like something is wrong with your engine. Aleros tend to be pretty peppy. Even the four cylinder versions.

https://sites.google.com/site/alerom...e/transmission
In the link it talks a bit about the shift kit.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:03 PM   #8
MilzyZ34
GX Member

MilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MilzyZ34
Over the years, there have been minor differences between 3400's in different vehicles. There are 3 different upper intakes, 4 different lower intakes, and about 5 different castings for the heads. Some versions if the heads are slightly better. The 2002 Grand Am heads for instance are just a little better than the mini-van style ones These differences are very minimal, and most likely would result in no horsepower difference. So the engines themselves are pretty much identical with minor changes through the years where they changed EGR styles, throttle body styles, year stampings, or rocker bolt sizes, but what about the vehicle specific stuff like the downpipe/cat-back exhaust system, and the PCM tune. Well the cars that claim more power are typically cars that are more conservative like Buicks and mini-vans, which tend to have even more restrictive exhaust systems. The tunes in these cars also tends to be more conservative for the shifting. What about the intake/air cleaner setup? Well even if you put the best cold air intake you can get on a 3400, like a 3-3.5" fenderwell with a good filter, you're only going to gain 5hp. The stock system isn't that much of a restriction, atleast for a stock or close to stock engine. So if the best intake setup compared to stock is only 5hp difference, then one stock setup compared to another stock setup isn't very much, especially given the fact that many use the same exact filter. It's hard to put a number on horsepower differences this small because even if you dyno it before and after, you'll typically see a variance in power +/- up to 5hp from run to run, so if it's less difference than 5hp, you have to do multiple tests of each and take an average to even estimate the difference. So at the end of the day, there really is no difference in power. What you're seeing when some vehicles are rated at more or less power is solely GM trying to sell cars.

If all you want is 15hp, you can get that from my PCM tune, which is currently on sale for $79.99 right now ... http://www.milzymotorsports.com/mms-...ol-module-pcm/

The best bang for your buck is the standard performance package because it addresses all the initial bottlenecks of the stock setup, which is also on sale starting at $450, which is a savings of $115 (or more depending on options) from buying all the parts individually at normal retail price. ... http://www.milzymotorsports.com/mms-...-3400-engines/
1977 Corvette - LS1/LS6 T56 - Under Construction
MilzyZ34 is offline   Reply With Quote