Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 08-21-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
richthofen
GX Member

richthofen is on a distinguished road
Car won't start

So the intermittent starting difficulty of the past month or so has, as of this afternoon, graduated to a car not starting difficulty. Turn the key and the starter motor engages, but the engine never fires. This can be repeated several times with the same results. Standing near the fuel tank, I don't hear the fuel pump engage, so I'm wondering if it might be the pump or the relay. Security light was not on before but is now--could have something to do with it?

Thanks for any assistance, as this is highly annoying!

2000/2.4/166K miles.

Last edited by richthofen : 08-21-2011 at 10:39 PM.
richthofen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
Dobbie
GX Member

Dobbie is on a distinguished road
I don't know if the 2.4 have a fuel line like the 2.2 where you could check the pressure or not, but that is what I would check first.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
richthofen
GX Member

If I can get a hold of a pressure gauge, that is exactly what I plan to do. The fact that the security light is now on makes me wonder if passlock is mixed up in this somehow though.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:27 AM   #4
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by richthofen View Post
If I can get a hold of a pressure gauge, that is exactly what I plan to do. The fact that the security light is now on makes me wonder if passlock is mixed up in this somehow though.

eh... it might. im not to sure though.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:38 AM   #5
SIUlero
GL Member

SIUlero is on a distinguished road
You don't need a pressure gauge to see if the pump is making pressure...just use a small screwdriver and see if it sprays any fuel out of the test port with the key on (wear some goggles or something). If nothing comes out, or just a trickle, the pump isn't working. A steady spray means there's at least enough pressure to start the engine.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/CrazyOldsGuy
SIUlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:38 AM   #6
richthofen
GX Member

The trusty Haynes manual tells me the 2.4 doesn't have a schrader valve so I can't do the screwdriver pressure test. Drat. There is a way to get a pressure gauge on the system though so I'll see if I can borrow one tomorrow.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:17 AM   #7
Dobbie
GX Member

Dobbie is on a distinguished road
You could check by removing the fuel filter. If it sprays out when you disconnect it you know you have pressure.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:04 AM   #8
xbxradxsx
GX Member

xbxradxsx is an unknown quantity at this point
Not sure if the 2.4 is the same as the eco with the security crap or not, but you may have to try the easy 10 min fix. Turn key to the on position for at least 10 mins, then turn key off for at least 5 secs, crank that bad boy up and drive away. I remember the first time I had that problem..... Just sounds like what it could be since you notice the security light.
-Red 04 Coupe, 2.2 eco, 20% tint all around, Cosmo wai, Sprint springs, both speedbuilt sway bars,18" black Enkei Ls5's -Future plans: Kyb agx's, front and rear stb's, and a lil more in the planning...
xbxradxsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:53 PM   #9
richthofen
GX Member

Does the key have to be in the ON position? I tried putting it in ACC for 10 minutes, but if it has to be ON, evidently I did it wrong.

Also is it a flashing security light that indicates a passlock issue? Mine does not flash, but it is steadily illuminated with the key in ACC or ON.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:11 AM   #10
xbxradxsx
GX Member

xbxradxsx is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, it has to be in the on position, where the key would be if the engine was running. I do think that the light flashes for the passlock though, but it's still worth a try anyways as long as you haven't killed your batt yet. lol. but like I said, turn to ON and start a timer for 10 mins, once timer goes off, key to off position for at least 5 seconds, then crank her up. Good luck
-Red 04 Coupe, 2.2 eco, 20% tint all around, Cosmo wai, Sprint springs, both speedbuilt sway bars,18" black Enkei Ls5's -Future plans: Kyb agx's, front and rear stb's, and a lil more in the planning...
xbxradxsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #11
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
In the off position a passlock problem is indicated by the security light flashing. Turn the key to the on position for 10mins...it will flash the whole time. You will know it has been reset once the light goes solid. Then turn the iginition back to the off position, and crank her up. Easy as pie.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #12
Twiz
GX Member

Twiz is on a distinguished road
Leave the ignition on for 10 min. so the computer registers the new key resistance and the Security light stops blinking then try it again. I have this feeling that if for any reason your car does not start when you turn on the key the first time the Security light will come on the next time you try it. Try a different key copy if available but you always need to clear that Security light for 10min. before you attempt to start it again.

I found this thru a search and it seems that a blown fuse was the culprit. Read the whole thing, it's similar to what you described.

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27171

Last edited by Twiz : 08-24-2011 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Add content
Twiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:30 PM   #13
Williamleo
GX Member

Williamleo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Williamleo
http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27171

that is some funny shit at the end of that thread!
Old 08-24-2011, 11:54 PM   #14
Twiz
GX Member

Twiz is on a distinguished road
Oh yeah, this one's the best:

"Did you change the fuel filter? cuz they kinda last until they clog up."
Old 08-24-2011, 11:56 PM   #15
Williamleo
GX Member

Williamleo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Williamleo
yep! lol!
Old 08-29-2011, 08:59 PM   #16
richthofen
GX Member

Ok so update.
While there is some gold in that thread referenced, it doesn't really apply to my situation because I do not hear the fuel pump running. Security light has nary a blink, it's on steady, so I don't think it's a passlock issue. I tried swapping the fuel pump relay with the a/c compressor relay (same size and part number, a/c works) and there was no change in the situation.

Does this mean bad fuel pump or is there anything else I can try? I really don't feel like spending $400 to replace the fuel pump, though it's cheaper than a new car I guess.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:34 PM   #17
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
well what i would recommend you do and idk what you have for means of tools. but i would get a fuel pressure guage and make sure you have pressure.

you could also open up the air box and spray a little either in there. just a lil and see if she fires up. that will tell you if you have an ignition issue (coils/plugs/wires) or a fuel issue (injectors, pump, filter)

Last edited by a.graham52 : 08-29-2011 at 09:38 PM.
a.graham52 is offline   Reply With Quote