Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 01-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
Black_Mamba
GX Member

Black_Mamba is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Black_Mamba
Post 3" DP & other exhaust mods?

Thinking of getting ported exhaust manifold, a 3500 ported upper intake manifold to match up to a 68mm Billet throttle body, a JET Performance 69108 MAF (from Jegs), and a 3" down pipe.

Will most likely need a high flow cat or no cat. But as of right now, my exhaust set up is all stock, only mod close enough is a k&n cold air.

Let me know what you guys think.

2001 GLS 3.4L Coupe "Black Mamba"

Mods: K&N Cold Air Intake, 8000k H.I.D. Low Beam, 3000k H.I.D. Fog Lights.
Wants: SLP Exhaust, Ported UIM & LIM, 65mm TB, Lowering Springs, Rims, Black Interior.
Black_Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
1.) Ported exhaust manifolds? Why not headers?

2.) Installing a 3500 UIM is going to be a total bitch, you're better off with a ported 3400 UIM as the difference in gains is not sufficient enough to justify the required effort to install the 3500 UIM, but that just my opinion

3.) Where do you intend on getting your 68mm tb? Also a 65mm is sufficient enough. TCE is on some sort of hiatus and is not producing TBs atm so places like WOT-Tech can't supply them

4.) You don't need a performance MAF, The stock MAF is sufficient enough for your application. The stock maf is even still good enough for low boost applications

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #3
Black_Mamba
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiwnath View Post
1.) Ported exhaust manifolds? Why not headers?

2.) Installing a 3500 UIM is going to be a total bitch, you're better off with a ported 3400 UIM as the difference in gains is not sufficient enough to justify the required effort to install the 3500 UIM, but that just my opinion

3.) Where do you intend on getting your 68mm tb? Also a 65mm is sufficient enough. TCE is on some sort of hiatus and is not producing TBs atm so places like WOT-Tech can't supply them

4.) You don't need a performance MAF, The stock MAF is sufficient enough for your application. The stock maf is even still good enough for low boost applications

1.) Cheaper and easier

2.) I didnt look around but have you or anyone on the forum done a 3500 UIM swap?

3.) 68mm TB can be ordered from Milzy Motorsports.

4.) Really? O_o

Wants: SLP Exhaust, Ported UIM & LIM, 65mm TB, Lowering Springs, Rims, Black Interior.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Mamba View Post
1.) Cheaper and easier

2.) I didnt look around but have you or anyone on the forum done a 3500 UIM swap?

3.) 68mm TB can be ordered from Milzy Motorsports.

4.) Really? O_o

For the UIM, read this:
http://wot-tech.com/shop/articles/sw...ne/cat_80.html

Total bitch ain't it?

Did you contact Milzy to see if he had any TBs in stock at all? From what I read, the 68mm TB causes the gas pedal to be too touchy so it's not ideal for daily driving.

Don't just go with the ported exhaust manifolds as a cheaper alternative. If you want to make some serious horsepower, it doesn't come cheap so do it right or don't bother. Again, just my opinion so you're free to do what you please.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:09 PM   #5
unchained01
GX Member

unchained01 is on a distinguished road
also you need to read up on the 68 mm tb from what i have read it kinda touchy as far as streetability maybe someone else can lend some insight And i seriously doubt mike has one on the shelf if he does it will be the first i have seen one produced in a long while
unchained01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:09 PM   #6
Black_Mamba
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiwnath View Post
For the UIM, read this:
http://wot-tech.com/shop/articles/sw...ne/cat_80.html

Total bitch ain't it?

Did you contact Milzy to see if he had any TBs in stock at all? From what I read, the 68mm TB causes the gas pedal to be too touchy so it's not ideal for daily driving.

Don't just go with the ported exhaust manifolds as a cheaper alternative. If you want to make some serious horsepower, it doesn't come cheap so do it right or don't bother. Again, just my opinion so you're free to do what you please.

Not yet, Once I have money for everything Im gonna find out. I wanna do everything at once not piece by piece. And what do you mean it causes the pedal to be a bit touchy? & as for headers, I dont wanna blow 7 or 8 hundread bucks on em. Not worth it to me unless I drove an LA1 with headers and could feel the difference.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #7
unchained01
GX Member

unchained01 is on a distinguished road
there is a post on 60degreev6 i quoted WOT tech website about the streetability of the 68mm tb Maybe greg or matt can share some insight
unchained01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:37 AM   #8
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by unchained01 View Post
there is a post on 60degreev6 i quoted WOT tech website about the streetability of the 68mm tb Maybe greg or matt can share some insight

I would not hesitate to buy a 68mm, but the 65mm might be the best overall as far as mating it to the intake system. I like my 75mm, but I haven't tried it on N/A to compare to stock. My testing was rudely interrupted. A 65mm will get you to the low 13s without being a limitation.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #9
Mike The Canadian
GL Member

Mike The Canadian is on a distinguished road
Headers are huge on these cars..
Some guy in a GA dynoed a 27 whp increase with SS headers a few years back
Old 01-24-2012, 07:10 AM   #10
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
all ill say is there are three choices when it comes to building a car or any of its componants. "cheap/fast/reliable" you can only pick two.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #11
Black_Mamba
GX Member

So 65mm tb, ported uim, headers, and 3" downpipe will be a good set up? N/A of course

Old 01-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #12
Black_Mamba
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
all ill say is there are three choices when it comes to building a car or any of its componants. "cheap/fast/reliable" you can only pick two.

You have a good point

Old 01-24-2012, 08:07 AM   #13
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Quote:
So 65mm tb, ported uim, headers, and 3" downpipe will be a good set up? N/A of course

Yup thats a good start. I'm just worried about finding a 65mm TB because TCE isn't producing them at the moment. I wanted one myself, but I don't know if anyone actually has any in stock.

You can get a 65mm TB from an LX5 3.5 Intrigue/Aurora and WOT-Tech sells the TB adapter to mount the TB to the 3400 because the holes don't line up, but I don't care too much for that solution because it's more of a pain in the ass. Worst case scenario I'd probably suck it up and go with the LX5 TB if the TCE TB is permanently out of production.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #14
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

There really isn't a good place to stop. If you want to maximize the TB and port UIM, then you should get a ported LIM. Well if you go to that length you should get a set of ported heads. I suppose that is an ok place to stop but then to really wake the motor up you should get a good cam.l

However I suppose without tearing into the motor what you have listed is an ok start.

I think you'll be fine with 2.5" pipe though. 3" downpipe is not necessary at all for what you have listed or really any NA alero/grand am.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #15
G.I.Ceo
GX Member

G.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond reputeG.I.Ceo has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Thinking of getting ported exhaust manifold, a 3500 ported upper intake manifold to match up to a 68mm Billet throttle body, a JET Performance 69108 MAF (from Jegs), and a 3" down pipe.

Will most likely need a high flow cat or no cat. But as of right now, my exhaust set up is all stock, only mod close enough is a k&n cold air.

Let me know what you guys think.

1. Ported exhaust manifolds are a waste of time. I would save that money and use it towards ported UIM/LIM and the gaskets you will need plus other stuff.

2. A 68mm is worthless unless you have the mods to support it. Having ported UIM/LIM will definitely help but you will not get the full of advantage of it. Really only boosted guys run one of those.

3. A Jet Performance MAF sensor is also another waste of money too. The stock MAF is designed for best possible air flow and having it ported with mess up the MAF tables. The stock manifold is designed to support even boosted applications so you will never max it out under a stock car so it will have no advantages at all for you.

4. 3" DP you will not need either. Running that big of a DP is way over kill and will actually effect your exhaust flow. 2.5" is actually enough. I am working with a boosted 3.4l and have mods to support it and all I need to run is 2.5" Even me being boosted 3" is a little to much.

So what I would do with the money and make this work out correctly to get the most bang for your buck right now is as follows.

I would buy ported UIM/LIM from wot-tech.comand all the gaskets you will need.

Then buy a LX9 TB and adapter plate to make it work on your UIM. I would replace the stock DP with 2.5" piping and a high flow cat.

The stock DP is very restrictive and you will notce a difference right away. You can have one made at a shop or buy one made at milzymotorsports.com.

Then lastly I would have a shop build you a cat back system with 2.5" piping all the way back with say a Flowmaster 80 muffler.

What ever you do stay away from Pacesetter stuff because it is not good quality and wont last long.

Garrett GT35 / Turbo Headers / 2.5" high flow DP / 60lb Injectors / Custom SLP Exhaust / Ported 3500 Heads / Ported 3500 UIM/LIM / 65mm TB / Turbonetics Evolution WG / Greddy Type-RS BOV / Casper Adjustable FPR / Casper High Speed Fan Switch / Speedbuilt F/R STB's / Next Level F/R Sway bars / Eibach Springs / Dual Gauge Pod with Aeroforce Gauges / Big Four Upgrade / HP Tuners and more!

"Living is doing everything you want to do and dying is everything else"
G.I.Ceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #16
Black_Mamba
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.I.Ceo View Post
1. Ported exhaust manifolds are a waste of time. I would save that money and use it towards ported UIM/LIM and the gaskets you will need plus other stuff.

2. A 68mm is worthless unless you have the mods to support it. Having ported UIM/LIM will definitely help but you will not get the full of advantage of it. Really only boosted guys run one of those.

3. A Jet Performance MAF sensor is also another waste of money too. The stock MAF is designed for best possible air flow and having it ported with mess up the MAF tables. The stock manifold is designed to support even boosted applications so you will never max it out under a stock car so it will have no advantages at all for you.

4. 3" DP you will not need either. Running that big of a DP is way over kill and will actually effect your exhaust flow. 2.5" is actually enough. I am working with a boosted 3.4l and have mods to support it and all I need to run is 2.5" Even me being boosted 3" is a little to much.

So what I would do with the money and make this work out correctly to get the most bang for your buck right now is as follows.

I would buy ported UIM/LIM from wot-tech.comand all the gaskets you will need.

Then buy a LX9 TB and adapter plate to make it work on your UIM. I would replace the stock DP with 2.5" piping and a high flow cat.

The stock DP is very restrictive and you will notce a difference right away. You can have one made at a shop or buy one made at milzymotorsports.com.

Then lastly I would have a shop build you a cat back system with 2.5" piping all the way back with say a Flowmaster 80 muffler.

What ever you do stay away from Pacesetter stuff because it is not good quality and wont last long.

Gotcha. Thanks for all the help and input everyone

Old 01-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #17
Black_Mamba
GX Member

I had just figured a 3" dp would be alot less restrictive but if everyone says 2.5 then 2.5 it is

Old 01-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #18
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
You still have to have enough back pressure though
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote