Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 03-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone use the Lisle Push Rod Remover to do a LIMG?

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-Push-Rem...59328&sr= 1-1

Lisle Push Rod Remover 2.8L, 3.1L, 3.4L GM V6

Product Features
Works on GM V6 2.8L, 3.1L and 3.4L Engines
All steel construction
Quickly removes push rods so you can replace the intake gasket

This tool is perfect for what it is designed for, removing pushrods on GM 2.8L, 3.1L and 3.4L V6 engines without removing the rocker arms. This will save a couple of hours when you are replacing the Lower Intake Manifold Gasket on one of these engines.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Manufacturer's webpage info:

http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=951
Old 03-08-2010, 10:01 AM   #3
zzyzzx
GLS member

Another customer review on Amaaon:

DON'T EVEN THINK about changing an intake gasket on the 2.8, 3.1 or 3.4 liter GM engines without this tool! Save yourself 10 hours: buy this tool! You won't have to remove the alternator, coils, either one of the valve covers, and the EGR if you use this tool. It also saves you the task of retorquing the rocker arms. If your valve covers are not currently leaking, it will save you the risk of making a leak. A further benefit is that by using this tool, the valve covers are not removed, exposing the top of the heads to dirt and debris. The engine compartment is so tight in a Venture, Montana, and Silhoutte that this tool save you up to 10 hours. In other words, this is perhaps the best $20 you'll ever spend to work on these engines!
Old 03-08-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
zzyzzx
GLS member

Video showing you how to use the tool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0b9Yh1IhoU
Old 03-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #5
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
ok... so the quoted customer is an idiot.

and the at that point in the engine.. you've done ALL the hard work. loosening the rocker arms is really pretty easy...
Old 03-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
zzyzzx
GLS member

I don't think the tool saves you 10 hours, at least not on an Alero. I was thinking that it might save me from having to remove some stuff, but I have no idea what, if anything it might save me from having to remove on an Alero, besides the rocker arms.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #7
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
from what i remember... i'd would save me from having to remove... um... nothing.

All it would do is allow me to NOT have to loosen the rocker arms. Which took like... 45 seconds?
Old 03-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #8
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
from what i remember... i'd would save me from having to remove... um... nothing.

All it would do is allow me to NOT have to loosen the rocker arms. Which took like... 45 seconds?

You didn't have to tighten them either when you put them back in if you use this tool, correct?
Old 03-08-2010, 12:27 PM   #9
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
Another customer review on Amaaon:

DON'T EVEN THINK about changing an intake gasket on the 2.8, 3.1 or 3.4 liter GM engines without this tool! Save yourself 10 hours: buy this tool! You won't have to remove the alternator, coils, either one of the valve covers, and the EGR if you use this tool. It also saves you the task of retorquing the rocker arms. If your valve covers are not currently leaking, it will save you the risk of making a leak. A further benefit is that by using this tool, the valve covers are not removed, exposing the top of the heads to dirt and debris. The engine compartment is so tight in a Venture, Montana, and Silhoutte that this tool save you up to 10 hours. In other words, this is perhaps the best $20 you'll ever spend to work on these engines!

The valve covers have to come off to get the lower intake manifold off, which means the coils have to come off to get the rear valve cover off which means the person that wrote the above is a effing idiot. I guess this person has never worked on the 60*V6. I don't see how it save you 10 hours either. If it take you 10 hours to torque the rocker arm bolts you should never work on a car.

But I do own the tool and it it handy to have. Just saves you the time of unbolting the rockers and torquing them on install.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #10
zzyzzx
GLS member

I suspect that on some other cars it might be more helpful. I did find someone who used it no a Grand Am and didn't remvoe the valve covers. I would think that maybe, using this tool you could just only remove one valve cover, or something.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #11
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Well the tool was made for speeding up the procces of doing a lower intake manifold job. Because the push rods run through the gasket the push rods have to come out.

I'm not understanding how you would use the tool for its intended purpose without removing the valve covers. The rocker arms are under the valve covers. The valve covers overlap from the heads to the lower intake manifold so to take the lower intake manifold off the valve covers have to come off. And there isn't enough room to use the tool if you just pull the valve covers off. The lower intake manifold wouldn't allow room to get the tool on the rocker arm.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:31 PM   #12
zzyzzx
GLS member

According to this Grand Am thread:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t972723.html

One tool I found to be really handy is a "push rod remover" by Lisle (part #48500). Got it for less than $20 including shipping on the net. Couldn't find it in stock anywhere locally but received it two days after ordering it. This tool lets you remove the pushrods without loosening/ removing the rocker arms. Saves time and the mess you make when having to adjust all the rockers with no valve covers and the engine running. It's supposed to work on 2.8, 3.1, and 3.4 engines and supposedly you can do the job without removing the rear valve cover if you have it.

Anyway, the too is cheap enough so I'm probably going to get it. I'vw never done real engine work before (assuming that this would count) and just want to make it easier if I can.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:33 PM   #13
01silveralero
Aleromod's most pointless thread starter

01silveralero is on a distinguished road
would save like what 5 min lol. and in the video the valve covers are definitely off.
New project 1992 460 big block ford notchback mustang
Goal - Mid 11s all motor.
01silveralero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #14
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01silveralero View Post
would save like what 5 min lol. and in the video the valve covers are definitely off.

It save you the time it would take to torque all the rocker arm bolts. If you do it right and torque it to the right spec and then add the addition 90 degrees GM wants it can take a little time.

I don't see how everyone thinks it take 5 mins. Without the tool you would have to pull all the rocker arms, put them somewhere so the don't get mixed up along with the push rods. Then once you putting everything back together put the rocker arms back in one by and torque. With the tool all yor doing is removing the push rod. 5 minutes my ass.

Last edited by rustyballs_69 : 03-08-2010 at 01:51 PM. Reason: more
Old 03-08-2010, 02:05 PM   #15
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
I coulda sworn you only had to loosen them, no remove them???
The not torquing part is nice though.

This is really only a tool that someone at a GM dealership would need though, IMO.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #16
01silveralero
Aleromod's most pointless thread starter

01silveralero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyballs_69 View Post
It save you the time it would take to torque all the rocker arm bolts. If you do it right and torque it to the right spec and then add the addition 90 degrees GM wants it can take a little time.

I don't see how everyone thinks it take 5 mins. Without the tool you would have to pull all the rocker arms, put them somewhere so the don't get mixed up along with the push rods. Then once you putting everything back together put the rocker arms back in one by and torque. With the tool all yor doing is removing the push rod. 5 minutes my ass.

just like bdyman with his body work knowledge and expertise...my knowledge and experience working on more than enough engines I know how long it takes to remove the rocker arms from our engines.
New project 1992 460 big block ford notchback mustang
Goal - Mid 11s all motor.
01silveralero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #17
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
in the video the valve covers are definitely off.

I was also wondering about that.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:03 PM   #18
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

Quote:
just like bdyman with his body work knowledge and expertise...my knowledge and experience working on more than enough engines I know how long it takes to remove the rocker arms from our engines.

Good for you, you know how to pull rocker arms off. Thats not the point of this thread. The point is the tool makes the job quicker. If it saves me the time of torqueing every rocker arm bolt then the tool is worth it. If you don't think it saves time then don't use it.

zzyzzx if you planing on doing your lower intake manifold gaskets the tool is worth it. It won't save you 10 hours by any means but it will save you more than 5 minutes.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #19
zzyzzx
GLS member

I was also wondering why this tool hadn't been discussed here before. Yes, I am planning on doing a LIMG job sometime in the near future. I mentioned it here:
http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30691

Just came acros the tool on Amazon.com and was wondering they it had never come up here before. If I can make the job easier I will. I've never done anything remotely like e LIMG job. Closet thing would be a valve cover gasket, but I've done plenty of other harder stuff to do I am sure.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:35 PM   #20
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
I was also wondering why this tool hadn't been discussed here before. Yes, I am planning on doing a LIMG job sometime in the near future. I mentioned it here:
http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30691

Just came acros the tool on Amazon.com and was wondering they it had never come up here before. If I can make the job easier I will. I've never done anything remotely like e LIMG job. Closet thing would be a valve cover gasket, but I've done plenty of other harder stuff to do I am sure.

More than likely it hasn't come up because it is more of a dealership or shop tool. A place that does alot of the same work over and over again. I saw one on Amazon.com for a little over $15 shipped. I think I payed around $50 for mine when they first came out. I bought it off the Snap on truck so I'm sure there was a 20% markup. I can tell you the tool will make the job easyer to do. Its worth the money.