Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 05-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
spyder_013
GX Member

spyder_013 is on a distinguished road
LED Strip Wiring

Ok, so I read up on LED Wiring, and have some experience with it from Guitar Pedals.

I have a few questions.
First: I want to remove my trunk light and replace it instead with a LED Strip on my Subwoofer Box. Could I just cut the wires from the trunk light and splice them to their respective leads on the LED strip? I think it will work, but just want to cover bases.

Second: I want to add a few LED strips under the dash on each the passenger and driver side. I want them to turn on automatically when the car is on, where do I get a hot lead for that? (I am also going to install a toggle switch so that if i WANT to turn them off, I can, I just want them to auto turn off with the car for safety from draining the batt.).

I used a "Power Constant" wire from my Kenwood Deck to my Amp, would it be possible to splice the LED strip into that, since then when the radio is on, so is the LED?

What fuse would I wire it to (if I dont wire it to the radio) to always have it on when the car is on? And how do you wire to a fuse?

Thanks! New here, this is a great forum! Its a 2003 Alero, 2.2eco if you are curious.
spyder_013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
robalero
GLS member

robalero is on a distinguished road
1 - yes it will work
2 - personally I would just use the toggle switch myself, run the wires and such but use the switch if you want to turn them on and if you drain your battery from using LED's you need a new battery lol
Old 05-26-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
spyder_013
GX Member

So just run a power wire to the battery and run the toggle switch on that? I thought of that at first, and It shouldn't drain the battery, lol. I have a guitar pedal wired with 5 LED's that I happen to leave on overnight a lot, and the battery is still fine (just a 9v that only runs the LEDs).

What guage wire should I use? Does it really matter (the wire from the battery) could I just use speaker wire?
Old 05-26-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
spyder_013
GX Member

Also, anyone have any opinions on what color LEDS to use? My Alero is the Darker Red/Maroon color.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
robalero
GLS member

use speaker wire its fine but I would use the power from the current lights that are supose to be for your feet and then a wire to the battery with an inline fuse so it doesn't explode ( safety more then anything esle )

if its that color either, green, white, or red dont do blue
Old 05-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
spyder_013
GX Member

I actually dont have any lights for my feet. Could I run the LED strip off of the small dome light used for illuminating the area under the radio? I plan to also replace that light with an LED.

And what do you mean when you say and then wire it to the battery with a fuse? (I understand the fuse part, but if I wired it to another light's hot wire, then how would I also wire that to the battery?)

Last edited by spyder_013 : 05-26-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
robalero
GLS member

double wireing, really all you need to do is wire one side to the negative....wait yea I see where im failing on this part lol .

your car should have lights in the feet if not your bulbs are probably burnt
Old 05-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
spyder_013
GX Member

I cant find any bulbs down there, and I dont remember ever having lights there

So, would it be fine to use the dome light under the radio?

And just to be clear, if I removed that light, I would just connect the two wires from the LED strip to that, right? and wouldn't have to worry about going to the battery?
Old 05-26-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
robalero
GLS member

you shouldn't have to worry about it
Old 05-26-2011, 08:20 PM   #10
spyder_013
GX Member

Alright, thank you so much! I guess if I try it and it doesn't work, its always reversible.

Im going with White, incase anybody was interested.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #11
robalero
GLS member

were always interested
Old 05-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #12
jhubbz
⌘ Irish Pride

jhubbz is on a distinguished road
I spliced into the cubby hole light for my vent LEDs and hooked it up to one of these:

Basically just a junction box. You could splice in a toggle switch from that if you wanted. Mine just turn on when the headlights come on.

Done lost my mind
jhubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:41 PM   #13
Christato71
GX Member

Christato71 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Christato71 Send a message via AIM to Christato71 Send a message via MSN to Christato71 Send a message via Skype™ to Christato71
Quote:
Originally Posted by robalero View Post
your car should have lights in the feet if not your bulbs are probably burnt

Yes, you definitely should have lights down there. Superbright LEDs has replacement bulbs in many colors. Check here.

Blog
Christato71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:46 PM   #14
jhubbz
⌘ Irish Pride

jhubbz is on a distinguished road
Can someone take a pic of where this footwell light is located? I'm pretty sure some aleros do and some don't. I'm almost positive mine doesn't, but would be very delighted if I found out I do

Done lost my mind
jhubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:08 PM   #15
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
My car definitely NEVER had any footwell lights.... (from factory)

...so I added my own.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:51 PM   #16
TdotAlero
GL Member

TdotAlero is on a distinguished road
On the driver's side it's next to the hood release handle. On the passenger side it's next to the 'chime box' under the glove compartment.
TdotAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:00 AM   #17
spyder_013
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhubbz View Post
I spliced into the cubby hole light for my vent LEDs and hooked it up to one of these:

Basically just a junction box. You could splice in a toggle switch from that if you wanted. Mine just turn on when the headlights come on.
Interesting. So, do you just put an LED in each set of holes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhubbz View Post
Can someone take a pic of where this footwell light is located? I'm pretty sure some aleros do and some don't. I'm almost positive mine doesn't, but would be very delighted if I found out I do
Same here, I bought my car used in 2008, and have never seen a light there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
My car definitely NEVER had any footwell lights.... (from factory)

...so I added my own.
Thats my plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdotAlero View Post
On the driver's side it's next to the hood release handle. On the passenger side it's next to the 'chime box' under the glove compartment.

I will check in a few minutes before work, thanks!

Although, I have a feeling the Alero changed. You speak of a chime, well, mine had the chime activate through the radio, which is why on the 03/04 Alero you need the Metra GMRC01 stereo adapter to change the factory radio, since the Metra has a chime box on it. So, there is also no chime box on mine, I don't know what year they got rid of that...

Last edited by spyder_013 : 05-27-2011 at 05:04 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:02 AM   #18
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
As for the power for you LEDs.

the trunk light one was already answered, as for under the dash. Yes you def want them to be turned on and off when you want, so good idea wiring a switch into that. You have 2 wire choices here.

If you want it in with the headlight controls, pull out the radio and find the brown wire. The brown wire is from the parking lights and will power up when the lights are on. I would run a wire from that, to your switch, your lights. The second choice behind the radio is the yellow ingtion wire. Will light with ONLY the ing on. There is a 3rd option which would be the orange wire, but that is clock/hot at all times, which will be, hot at all times

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:30 PM   #19
spyder_013
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
As for the power for you LEDs.

the trunk light one was already answered, as for under the dash. Yes you def want them to be turned on and off when you want, so good idea wiring a switch into that. You have 2 wire choices here.

If you want it in with the headlight controls, pull out the radio and find the brown wire. The brown wire is from the parking lights and will power up when the lights are on. I would run a wire from that, to your switch, your lights. The second choice behind the radio is the yellow ingtion wire. Will light with ONLY the ing on. There is a 3rd option which would be the orange wire, but that is clock/hot at all times, which will be, hot at all times

So, with the Brown wire, my lights would only be on when my headlights are on? (makes sense anyways, since the lights would only really be visible at night, lol).

Then the 3rd option, so that would mean, even if I turned my car off, the lights would stay on (assuming I left the switch on?).