Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 04-27-2008, 10:03 PM   #1
JCHT79
GX Member

JCHT79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to JCHT79
Front Brakes studdering/jerking with bad sound

My front brakes are making a studdering sound when pressure is applied to the brake pedal. I feel all the feedback through my steering wheel and brake pedal. I don't see any strange wear, but have had a shop look at them and tell me that my brakes all around are in good order and the fluid is fine. I'm just concerned about the front brakes. I need better knowledge to reccomend a solution to this issue?

1999 Auburn Mist Sedan
No Extras!
JCHT79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:23 PM   #2
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
hmm well my old car used to do that and it was that the brake rotors were warped..
is this at high speeds only or all the time and does it vary in intensity a different speeds?
Old 04-27-2008, 10:43 PM   #3
Conehead2467
GX Member

Conehead2467 is on a distinguished road
i agree with the above post. I had symptoms like that as well. my front rotors ended up being warped. A new set of rotors fixed the issue.
Conehead2467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:09 PM   #4
Vinman
GL Member

Vinman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Vinman Send a message via Yahoo to Vinman
yup, totally warped rotors...
Vinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:16 PM   #5
surreal_awakening
GL Member

surreal_awakening is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to surreal_awakening
Warped rotors. Replace and make sure that you properly and evenly torque the lug bolts when you put them back on. It will minimize chances of it happening again.
surreal_awakening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:44 PM   #6
JCHT79
GX Member

It happens at varying speeds, but is most noticable at 40 MPH or higher. If they're warped that would explain the lack of foresight by the second to last shop that checked them. Glad I didn't pay for that though.

1999 Auburn Mist Sedan
No Extras!
Old 04-28-2008, 08:13 PM   #7
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
oww replace em with aftermarket vented brake discs and youll be all set

(check your caliper too to make sure it is not damaged from the movement!)
Old 04-29-2008, 08:02 PM   #8
JCHT79
GX Member

I was just thinking about the calipers as well. I'm going to replace the pads as well when I change the rotors.

1999 Auburn Mist Sedan
No Extras!
Old 04-29-2008, 08:42 PM   #9
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

good idea because the pads could also be unevenly worn, so you might get grooves in your new rotors and they will be effed... good idea though!
Old 04-29-2008, 09:03 PM   #10
JCHT79
GX Member

What damage, if any, would show on the calipers: seal leakage? I should be able to get the parts fairly quick, but time is always on short supply.

1999 Auburn Mist Sedan
No Extras!
Old 04-29-2008, 09:16 PM   #11
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

hmm maybe just wear and tear ending in yes seal leakage and maybe premature caliper failure and mount and bolt wear causing really bad though to come to my head about what could happen if those bolts or caliper were weakened.. if you can replace the calipers!
Old 04-30-2008, 08:58 PM   #12
JCHT79
GX Member

I'll probably check to see if calipers are in good condition before I do anything else. Getting the brakes done with a full needed parts list will be the task this weekend. Thanks.

1999 Auburn Mist Sedan
No Extras!
Old 05-03-2008, 06:47 AM   #13
Stanl3yX
V.I.P. Member

Stanl3yX is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Stanl3yX Send a message via Yahoo to Stanl3yX
im getting my pads and rotors changed next week. last time i got it done at this mom/pop shop they told me that i did not need to change my brake fluid but at a more professional shop they told i had to. is it important to change the brake fluid when changing the brakes?
Stanl3yX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:59 PM   #14
JCHT79
GX Member

If the brake fluid color tested fine, then don't neccessarily change the brake fluid. Especially if you don't have a bleeder to get any bubbles out of the lines. I haven't changed my rotors and pads yet though my car's been sitting.

1999 Auburn Mist Sedan
No Extras!
Old 05-08-2008, 08:45 AM   #15
Stanl3yX
V.I.P. Member

Stanl3yX is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Stanl3yX Send a message via Yahoo to Stanl3yX
i changed my pads for the first time yesterday. learned a lot. i only needed to change the driver side pads and i bought rotors and pads for both front tires
Stanl3yX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:40 AM   #16
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
I would buy the pin kits also when replacing those rotors and pads. Make sure that the rubber boot is over the pin cause if water gets in there and the pin seizes you are possible screwed. Happened to me, and had to use a torch to get them out. They also make a grease that goes on those so I would make sure to put that on as well.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:29 AM   #17
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
I have warped rotors also, what cause's this, is there anyway to prevent it, I heard I could get them machined.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:44 AM   #18
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
braking causes it. buy some good rotors like the R1Concepts Drilled/Slotted Zinc Coated ones.

the stock rotors are TERRIBLE, never replace them with OEM. R1Concepts or better, always.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:16 AM   #19
surreal_awakening
GL Member

surreal_awakening is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to surreal_awakening
Some of it is due to the metals used in manufacturing. Unfortunately cheap Chinese metals work their way into the supply chain. You can have the rotors turned, if they are still within specs, but the preferred solution, like ion said, is get some good quality rotors. Also, when you put your wheels back on, make sure to properly and evenly torque the lug nuts to spec. This can help minimize the warping.
surreal_awakening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:16 PM   #20
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Warped rotors.

Check out Summit racing for thier brand of rotors, Slotted and X drilled, and $60 each for the front.

You'll need new pads too they have a decent seclection, but don't get the cheap pads. They have a set for $25

I have them all around on my car and I'm very happy

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote