Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 10-07-2008, 01:14 AM   #1
sburke
GL Member

sburke is an unknown quantity at this point
AC System

If you've been reading any of my other posts you know that I'm getting everything prepped for the rebuild and supercharging of my blue beast.

I have two questions that go along with this.

Has anyone ever removed the entire ac system and if so, how do you do it, will this truly help at all and about how much weight will I save?

Are underdrive pulleys a bad idea for a supercharged car, or are they still a good idea?
06 Mazdaspeed 6 - Current Vehicle
sburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:55 AM   #2
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
The A/C doesn't weigh that much at all. I'd rather have it in there and working.

Underdrive is a bad idea. It would be turning the supercharger slower. However a lightweight stock-sized pulley wouldn't be bad.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:20 AM   #3
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
Less than 50 lbs. Fatass like me could drop 50 lbs easier by eating jenny craig for a month instead of taco bell and go from 200 lb to 150.

And are you sure you want to be without AC in AZ?
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:15 PM   #4
sburke
GL Member

I never use the AC, I don't know why I just prefer to have the windows down. I guess I'll just leave it in, I just figured maybe it'd be a cheap way to free up some hp. Oh well.

Cliff - do you know where you can get light weight stockers? All I can ever find are underdrive pulleys, or if it doesn't say underdrive, it doesn't say anything else, just that it's a pulley for the LD9
Old 10-07-2008, 11:29 PM   #5
super white alero1
Trying to get it together

super white alero1 is on a distinguished road
Don't remove the AC the AC helps with the defrost aiding in removing moisture. Seriously you only lose about 30 lb at the most, Condensor, Evap core, compressor, freon and 9 oz of oil. Not worth it IMO.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:09 AM   #6
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusWill View Post
Less than 50 lbs. Fatass like me could drop 50 lbs easier by eating jenny craig for a month instead of taco bell and go from 200 lb to 150.

And are you sure you want to be without AC in AZ?

A/C is overrated here in AZ due to the dryness. I have a fully functional A/C in my car and I still ride with the windows down unless I'm on the highway at over 85mph. However, if you ever go somewhere hot AND humid, you're screwed.

I doubt dropping 50 lbs body weight would be a good idea for you Simon

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:30 PM   #7
sburke
GL Member

Hate to beat a dead horse here...............

Does anyone know where you can get some lightweight stock size pulleys?

The thread to the LD9 lightweight stock sizers is dead on J-body.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:37 PM   #8
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
-MD- LD9 on www.j-body.org

Also I'm ditching my A/C soon, just bought a stock size and location A/C delete bracket/pulley. My A/C's been dead for years, dead weight and sometimes drag on the engine because the clutch and shit scrapes horribly sometimes.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:45 PM   #9
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post

Also I'm ditching my A/C soon, just bought a stock size and location A/C delete bracket/pulley. My A/C's been dead for years, dead weight and sometimes drag on the engine because the clutch and shit scrapes horribly sometimes.

you should ditch the ac pulley and replace it with a dry oil system pump........
Old 02-24-2009, 03:31 AM   #10
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
you should ditch the ac pulley and replace it with a dry oil system pump........
That's a little overkill for 200whp don't you think?

Old 02-24-2009, 09:15 AM   #11
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
what's overkill? i don't think i understand this concept you speak of.....
Old 02-24-2009, 09:53 AM   #12
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
what's overkill? i don't think i understand this concept you speak of.....

an electric priming oil pump?
Old 02-24-2009, 10:22 AM   #13
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
200whp? not when I'm pushing out 14 psi from an MP62 on meth and nitrous with a ported supercharger and head
Old 02-24-2009, 01:16 PM   #14
sburke
GL Member

your car is going to be crazy once you've got it all done Ion. I'm definately excited to see the finished project.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:45 PM   #15
sburke
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post

I contacted that guy on j-body. Hopefully he replies soon. Is he also the one who got you the A/C delete bracket/pulley, or where are you getting that from, because I am also looking for that.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:10 PM   #16
[ion] C2
636 whp

no you can buy it from GM directly, i'm getting mine from a fellow j-body member for $30 though.. i think it's around $40-70 through GM.

part number: 24574519
Old 03-08-2009, 11:27 PM   #17
sburke
GL Member

I've tried that part number and it pulls up a water pulley.

Would this work http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-03...1%7C240%3A1318

If not who else on j-body has it?
Old 03-08-2009, 11:32 PM   #18
[ion] C2
636 whp

The GM part number is correct, regardless of what GM classifies it as... my headlight covers (the ones that go on top of the headlight area) are classified as "SHIELD" and then the category is "AIR INTAKE" haha.

The eBay one will not work.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:43 PM   #19
sburke
GL Member

Am I going to need a bracket or cover to replace the a/c when I remove it?
Old 03-08-2009, 11:47 PM   #20
[ion] C2
636 whp

This is what the GM part looks like. It's a direct replacement.

I assume we just need to disconnect the wiring and the A/C lines and get them out of the way and managed somewhere.