Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 02-26-2009, 09:00 AM   #1
NickAlero2000
GLS member

NickAlero2000 is on a distinguished road
New York Tint Law Crackdown

Hey all, I just spoke with my aunt (NYPD Sergeant) as to why tint laws in New York are being more strictly enforced. Seems like a lot of my friends and people I know are losing their tints these days.

Vehicular Homicide seems to be the cause. Some, when arrested for fleeing the scene, say they NEVER saw the person the officers are claiming they hit, because of tinted windows.

WHO IS AFFECTED?! Well, anyone with tints. On 2 door cars, police don't care about the back window darkness, but in 4 door cars, there is a potential for a backseat passenger to roll down the window and shoot someone, then roll the window back up as if it never happened.

I kinda already figured this was a danger of tinted windows, but didn't think it would cause a statewide crackdown.

Discuss....
NickAlero2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:12 AM   #2
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
This is the reason for tint laws anyway, cause some idiots thought it was cool to darken there windows and shoot whoever they wanted. Few bad apples spoiled the bunch for everyone.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
yep. they can't see in, to see if your holding a gun. makes it dangerous for cops, mostly... (at traffic stops) but everyone in general.

BUT, how little they allow us to have tinted is stupid. i had like.. the 2nd lightest possible (blocked 25%?). darkened the windows a little... you could still see through at night.

but i got pulled over and nailed for it. its lame. i understand the law, but having it so severe is foolish, imo.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:55 AM   #4
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
You wouldn't think it was foolish if it were you walking up to a car late at night in the middle of nowhere. It has to be nerve racking for officers to be quite honest. Thats why they usually point that 1 trillion candle powered (or at least thats what it feels like) like at your car at night.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
i understand that. but you could see straight through BOTH sides.... and everything in between. my car was NOT a hazard w/ the degree of tint i had on it.

as a matter of fact, my backseat and rear windows still have the same. its barely tinted at all.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:22 AM   #6
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Its dangerous for officers I must admit but 35% is ridiculous, and to say that trucks can have tint as dark as they want is a contradiction to me.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:25 AM   #7
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
What kind of trucks? Like a pick-up truck or a semi-truck? Listen, I caught beef on my last car because it came up 32% on the tint meter and only 35% is legal here. What I don't understand is the under-cover police cars and even some of the cruisers for the city have got 5% all the way around. Its a dead give away to catch and undercover officer, BUT they aren't above the law.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:28 AM   #8
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
arent some cars tintied from the factory? i know my friends jimmy is mad dark.... he never gets nailed... NY tint laws are nice compared to here
Old 02-26-2009, 10:30 AM   #9
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleN0alero View Post
What kind of trucks? Like a pick-up truck or a semi-truck? Listen, I caught beef on my last car because it came up 32% on the tint meter and only 35% is legal here. What I don't understand is the under-cover police cars and even some of the cruisers for the city have got 5% all the way around. Its a dead give away to catch and undercover officer, BUT they aren't above the law.
We put 20 cars in service here and the back three on all of them are at 5% right now. The drug cars are 15% on all windows. In Maryland on pickup trucks you can have your tint as dark as you want. Its illegal in all states for a semi to have tint of any kind from what I understand. You can't even have a radar detector in semi's in any state. The funny thing here is that they wrote an exception to the law for police so that they cold put tint on there cars..hows that for fair?
Old 02-26-2009, 10:48 AM   #10
NickAlero2000
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
yep. they can't see in, to see if your holding a gun. makes it dangerous for cops, mostly... (at traffic stops) but everyone in general.

An officer could be holding a gun at me in a dark tinted car, and I could be in jeopardy, yet legally, its okay.

At RPI we have 4 undercover impalas, no markings, tints limoed all around, and on weekends, obviously to look for drunks, they sit in random spots on the street.
Its scary to walk by them. I don't trust them at all. As a citizen, I feel I should have the same tint law protections as officers do.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:51 AM   #11
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Lets be real here too...all of the "undercover" incog cars are pretty obviously cop cars...I haven't seen one incog car that wouldn't stand out to me. Taking in to account that when I say incog I mean a car with complete light and siren package, and full comms equipment...camera, mdt...the whole nine yards. When they are tinted to hide all that stuff they stand out more in my opinion.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:55 AM   #12
itsbmw

Last edited by itsbmw : 01-04-2023 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:58 AM   #13
NickAlero2000
GLS member

The front window tint on those makes em stand out to me.
At RPI, the front window is at least 30%, if not darker.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:00 AM   #14
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Honestly I use to think about putting tint on my windsheild, and the older I have gotten I have come to the conclusion that driving around like that is asking for an accident to happen. To each his own but it just sounds dangerous to me.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:22 AM   #15
Ghadsphi
The Drunk

Ghadsphi is an unknown quantity at this point
I got a coupe, all I want is really mild tint on my driver and passenger windows, medium on the tard windows and back. But from what I understand driver and passenger = 0 in cali although there are tinters that say it's 70% light. One quoted a 199x law. Course the Help the government anti rice website says.
Tinting the front side windows and the windshield (except for a narrow band at the top of the windshield). Windows behind the driver's head may be tinted. If rear window is tinted, right-side mirror is required (26708 VC).
Tinting the back 3 windows on a silver is just gunna look like a 1/4 arse job. My doc hates prescribing stuff but wtf do you ask your doc about prescribing tint?
Also anyone got daylight pics of 5-10-20 percents? Like pics of actually being able to see in and see out from the center console? I'm trying to stay light like my car.... (hoping to get a lil bit of a tan for the girl(s) at ASS. lol)

I'z white. Warcraft white. I quit a month ago. I think.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:52 AM   #16
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie View Post
Lets be real here too...all of the "undercover" incog cars are pretty obviously cop cars...I haven't seen one incog car that wouldn't stand out to me.

I'll have to take a picture of some of the ones we have here then. There's a couple malibus, there's an olds intrigue, a mini van, a camaro and a couple others. Their light bars are in the back windows and for the front, its a folding LED so they can drive around looking all normal, then when they need to spring into action, they just pull the light bar down (on a swivel) and go to town. Basically any car they drug seized, they can and most of the time do turn them into undercover cars.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:01 PM   #17
Ghadsphi
The Drunk

Ghadsphi is an unknown quantity at this point
Bush admin allowed a lot of cops to assume you fail. Like his buddy the terminator. Cops in cali can just think you sound too loud. They don't need to prove it or make any sort messurment. Just think you sound to loud cuz they're that smart. "Would agree" but I've met "just any cop".
Old 02-26-2009, 12:06 PM   #18
99alerogirl
Female.

99alerogirl will become famous soon enough
psh yeah, here i know NEVER to try to be a "hardass" when next to a maroon 2008 mustang gt. i watched this idiot (in a civic, go figure) rev his engine at him at a light on the highway, the mustang blew him away until like 65 (speed limit's 55, but they won't pull you over unless you're over 65), the mustang put on his brakes at that point, civic passed him (probably going about 75), and then there were the lights. this mustang has the legal tint, and all the lights on the inside. it was really funny to watch the ricer get burned like that!
99alerogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #19
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleN0alero View Post
I'll have to take a picture of some of the ones we have here then. There's a couple malibus, there's an olds intrigue, a mini van, a camaro and a couple others. Their light bars are in the back windows and for the front, its a folding LED so they can drive around looking all normal, then when they need to spring into action, they just pull the light bar down (on a swivel) and go to town. Basically any car they drug seized, they can and most of the time do turn them into undercover cars.
They do the same here and confiscate impounded cars, but they only run errands in them...They generally buy cars that you can get a police package in and then throw in the LED stobes, and the visor lights. Here they use a suction cup light bar that rotates inside so you can't see it looking from the outside in but when its time to go live they rotate it out and they are bright as hell....The LED tech has greatly improved inconspicousness. follow this link and scroll down to the second pic with the black and white car then the dodge charger next to it...its on of the incog cars...There are like 20 of these cars in this city that look just like this one but aren't cop cars...other then the obvious spot light you can't tell this is a cop car....I call them Night Stalkers....that's pretty much when they operate.

http://www.wicomicosheriff.com/wcso.htm click on divisions - click on patrol operations - Click on patrol division
Old 02-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #20
sburke
GL Member

sburke is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99alerogirl View Post
psh yeah, here i know NEVER to try to be a "hardass" when next to a maroon 2008 mustang gt. i watched this idiot (in a civic, go figure) rev his engine at him at a light on the highway, the mustang blew him away until like 65 (speed limit's 55, but they won't pull you over unless you're over 65), the mustang put on his brakes at that point, civic passed him (probably going about 75), and then there were the lights. this mustang has the legal tint, and all the lights on the inside. it was really funny to watch the ricer get burned like that!

06 Mazdaspeed 6 - Current Vehicle
sburke is offline   Reply With Quote