Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 02-13-2004, 05:04 PM   #1
Cyber Knight
Swank

Cyber Knight is an unknown quantity at this point
The biggest thing keeping me from getting new rims for my car is that's a truckload of coin to spend on something that is always outside of you car, fully visible, and only held in place with 5 nuts each. I know you can get lock-nuts with 'unique' socket ends for removal, but how hard is it to get around those with like a universal gator-grip type socket tool, or something similar? I know an alarm doesn't help protect your wheels (cement blox under the car then let the air out), and you can't take yer garage with you everywhere, is there much else that can be done to deter wheel theft? I know the old saying of 'if they want it bad enuf, they'll find a way', but I'm hoping there are more ways to protect a $2000+ investment.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-13-2004, 05:31 PM   #2
nex

hire a midget with a shotgun to keep watch over your car 24/7

it works trust me!
Old 02-13-2004, 05:47 PM   #3
chicken_dog

Don't worry bout it too much the likley hood of someone stealing your rims is very minimal. Most people don't have the guts to do it anyway it is not worth going to jail over a set of rims.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:51 PM   #4
Cyber Knight
Swank

That was the other thing I was gonna ask, how often does it happen? Have any of you had rims stolen off yer ride?

(Thx for the reminder, chicken_dog)
Old 02-13-2004, 05:57 PM   #5
chicken_dog

Hey no problem like i said i got a bunch of aftermarket stuff on my car and it hasn't been broken into or anything. And it used to stick out like a bad weed. I do get compliments on my wheels all the time though.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:07 PM   #6
misslindseysue

My rims were fine all last summer. They do have a "key" that you need to get at the lugs. It's just a goofy super thin socket, but I suppose it would stop someone who just showed up with a 4-way. Then again, he could break the window and take one of the two keys I keep in the car and take them off. I mean, I have to get them off if I have a flat...

My thought is, if your wheels get stolen, OEM replacements cost more than just about any rims you're going to put on it. Let insurance pay for the OEM's, and get whatever you want.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:16 PM   #7
99blackalero

i didnt have a spare in my car, so to play it safe my shop gave me five different sets of lock nuts...so getting past the alarm i have and then take the wheels off wouldve been quite the bitch as i had them hidden in the car...and i also kept the car in places where there was a lot of light at night and well trafficed street...so dont go parking it in a dark alley somewhere
Old 02-14-2004, 02:28 AM   #8
b-spot
GLS member

b-spot is an unknown quantity at this point
Mike, they don't sell very nice wheels at walmart, i wouldn't bother

(P.S. Looks like rim envy is getting the best of you... )
Originally Posted by StockAlero00 @ Jul 1 2005, 11:15 PM
If I did went to college...

b-spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 09:02 AM   #9
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally posted by misslindseysue@Feb 13 2004, 06:07 PM

My thought is, if your wheels get stolen, OEM replacements cost more than just about any rims you're going to put on it. Let insurance pay for the OEM's, and get whatever you want.
She's right. That's why I bought aftermarket after my rim was bent.

OEM rim: $400

Set of aftermarket: $546 (Shipped, and with lugs, key, and blackout caps)

:mellow:

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 04:55 AM   #10
frozenchickendinner

mine are impossible to steal. My car lays on the ground, so you couldnt get the wheel off if you wanted to.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:10 PM   #11
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
yeh besides insurance should cover aftermarket stuff, talk to your insurance man, somebody bent my rim, and i was able to go buy a brand new 18" konig tantrum to replace it, i told them straight up that too, they told me my base coverage covers all things i do to my car so.........
Old 02-16-2004, 06:50 PM   #12
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
I wouldnt loose any sleep over them... get some good wheel locks, and rest easy, ppl fret over it too much

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 12:08 AM   #13
99blackalero

u better check with your insurance again 99alero_boy...i thought the same thing but they only covered that up to a certain dollar value...i learned that the hard way when my car got broken into and they stole most of the audio they could get their hands on...ended up still putting out $2000 to replace the stuff cause i never purchased additional coverage for the high priced audio
Old 02-17-2004, 12:21 AM   #14
BLK03GXS
GLS member

yea... the base coverage here is i think 1000 for audio, if you have anything other than that you need to purchase extra coverage

Old 02-17-2004, 11:50 AM   #15
frozenchickendinner

well 99blackalero, you got screwed, because it is a federal law, meaning it applies to all 50 states, that if you have insurance against vandalism/theft on your car, that they BY LAW are forced to cover everything inside the vehicle, doesnt matter if its audio equipment, welders, tools, air suspension, anything. They try and tell you because its aftermarket they dont have to cover it, but they do. A friend of mines blazer got broken into, they stole his cd player, a welder, 2 air compressors, and some other junk, and the insurance ended up buying him like 3 grand just in tools and air suspension. Im not making this up, I would tell you where to find that law, but i cant remember. Go to a library and see for yourself, if you find it, you might be able to get your 2 grand back.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:57 AM   #16
Silentalero
Kitteh is back!!!!

Silentalero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Silentalero Send a message via AIM to Silentalero Send a message via MSN to Silentalero Send a message via Yahoo to Silentalero
Quote:
99blackalero

He wont be getting anything back.
Silentalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 12:07 PM   #17
frozenchickendinner

oohh...ooops....my bad
Old 02-17-2004, 07:15 PM   #18
BLK03GXS
GLS member

it sucks to be in canaduh eh? lol

Old 02-25-2004, 07:28 AM   #19
Green Eyed Monster

:wah: The day after Christmas I walk outside to go to work. I open my door and notice some green stuff in the p. seat.I look up and the p. side window was smashed in. They took my tv ripped my dash apart took an amp and a book of cd's.......(The green stuff was boken glass). That night I heard a noise but it was when a train was going by and I didn't think anything about it. My car was 4 feet from my front door. The person who did it knew what I had and I think he lives in the apartment complex......But the good thing is I have state farm in. and they replaced all of my stuff but the cd's............GET GOOD INSURENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wah:
Old 02-25-2004, 11:24 AM   #20
Cyber Knight
Swank

I've got good insurance, but nobody wants to go thru that whole ordeal, and then your rates go up with each claim. Sorry to hear about your bad Christmas 'present', I can't stand thieves.