Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 11-10-2007, 08:12 PM   #21
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoetherB View Post
Also, you mentioned you were in college...

When I turned 18, if my mom would have told me she was taking my car, I would have told her precisely where to go and how the hell to get there. Then, I would have handed her a bus schedule and a sock full of quarters.

Of course, I have a unique relationship with my parents.

-Brad

Hahaha. I would valiantly defend my vehicle until the issue is brought up that I haven't exactly paid it off yet. Dad bought it for $2500, I think I still owe $1500. Rather than pay off the vehicle fully, I decided to put a blower on it. Which, in retrospect, was a FAR BETTER MOVE. Although they don't think so.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:14 PM   #22
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
If its anything like the old astro vans you could pull the floor up.

Brad its gonna cost more than $100 for gaskets, its like $70 for the intake gaskets.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:24 PM   #23
SittinOnChrome
GL Member

SittinOnChrome is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SittinOnChrome Send a message via Yahoo to SittinOnChrome
put sawdust in your radiator
SittinOnChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:37 PM   #24
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
um...?
Old 11-10-2007, 09:03 PM   #25
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
ok, well, i still don't know if you are looking for a cheap car but look on AutoTrader.com -- there's a ton of malibu's and such in dearborn for sale. and, if that's out of the question, you could at least try to make your car looks as inconspicuous as possible by putting stock stuff back on the exterior so people would think its the average alero with nothing fancy on it. i mean, with the engine being covered, how will they know that u have any mods? tell your mom to park by security cameras or in a well lit area that isn't hidden from view.

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:06 PM   #26
01silveralero
Aleromod's most pointless thread starter

01silveralero is on a distinguished road
there's also craigslist, ebay or swapalease.com
New project 1992 460 big block ford notchback mustang
Goal - Mid 11s all motor.
01silveralero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:12 PM   #27
[ion] C2
636 whp

yaeh i dunno, it looks like my mom will be driven by my dad until the parents snag some cash to pay a fellow mechanic family member to work on it, so i can keep my 'ho to whine around campus
Old 11-10-2007, 10:05 PM   #28
[ion] C2
636 whp

lol so my dad says he's tempted to tear into the engine himself, as a Fel-Pro gasket is $23. says he was searching around online and says its not hard at all to replace the headgasket. says you can get at it form the rear of the engine (or the right of it as you look at it with the hood open)

how one can replace the 1, 3, 5 cylinder head by coming at it from the side is beyond me. thought you had to dissasemble the upper/lower intake manifolds and all that PITA
Old 11-10-2007, 10:24 PM   #29
RoetherB
GX Member

RoetherB is on a distinguished road
Yes, in order to change a head gasket you will have to disassemble just about the entire top end. I don't think there is any way possible to get a head off without removing the intake plenum.

Also, don't just replace one head gasket. Not good to have the added compression of a new head gasket on just one side if the engine has any significant number of miles on it. You'll just blow the other side sooner. Even if the other side is not blown, replace it at the same time.

A full gasket and seal replacement set for a 5.9L V8 is about $140. Surely a V6 Felpro set will be at least a little cheaper than that.

Why don't you help your dad rebuild the engine? Surely you can give him a hand if he financed the 'ho for ya...

-Brad
RoetherB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:48 PM   #30
[ion] C2
636 whp

its $144 for a total gasket set, or $23 per head gasket

ya... im sure that'd be a fun job, pulling the engine without a crane, tearing into it together. we don't do projects well together i think they're going to pay someone to do it, because doing anything on this engine is a real pain in the ass as far as i know. i'll take my LD9 and elbow room anyday.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:38 PM   #31
RoetherB
GX Member

RoetherB is on a distinguished road
Don't pull the engine...

Unless you need to do anything below the block, it can sit in place for the entire rebuild.

...unless it's one of those setups where the engine basically sits under a little hump in the passenger compartment. Then you might need to pull it to have room to work.

-Brad
RoetherB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:57 PM   #32
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Yeah I would say if you're going to fix the van, swap the engine

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:28 PM   #33
[ion] C2
636 whp

Ends up he had the dealer do it, though I always say NEVER take anything to the dealer.

Replaced both headgaskets, all spark plugs, and four ignition coils... $2300
Old 12-07-2007, 10:06 PM   #34
Jferg2223
GL Member

Jferg2223 is on a distinguished road
wow..... a normal mechanic might have charged a grand for all that.
MSD Coils - NGK Iridium Plugs - Taylor Wires - 62mm RSM Throttle Body - DHP PCM- 180 Stat - TPS Enhancer - Custom 3" CAI - Thunderbolt Spin Cat no resonator - Dynomax Dual exhaust w/ Borla Tips- Cleared Corners/Black Bezels
Jferg2223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:27 PM   #35
[ion] C2
636 whp

I know.. we had a family member mech who wanted to do it for $800.. but he kept pushing it off for weeks and wouldn't call back or come to pick it up even though he said he would.

Not sure why he didn't shop around. Then again I don't know of any mechanics around here besides Livernois Motorsports, who would have probably doubled the cost just because they enjoy overcharging a bit.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:06 PM   #36
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
You go to dealers under warranty, the rest is pure robbery.
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
the #6 bolt torque..its impossible to get...unless I use telekenesis
Vinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:19 PM   #37
troyertrain
GLS member

troyertrain is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to troyertrain Send a message via MSN to troyertrain
holy crap, is the van even worth $2300? i am assuming its a late 90's Montana, correct?

i always search autotrader/craigslist/ebay for deals on cars, and there are always some on there for cheap. though, you are still getting what you pay for (usually under $3k its gonna be a piece of crap)...
troyertrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:22 PM   #38
[ion] C2
636 whp

2000 Montana.. I agree the price was ridiculous. I thought he was going to use the person from his work who would do it in his shop for $1200.. Not my money though.. I tend to find the best deals before I go for something. I'm getting the RSM 62mm throttle body for only $100 (retail ~$300), got Eagle rods for $110 (retail ~$350).. hehe
Old 12-08-2007, 12:41 AM   #39
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
Ends up he had the dealer do it, though I always say NEVER take anything to the dealer.

Replaced both headgaskets, all spark plugs, and four ignition coils... $2300

You know, it only has 3 coils.

And you don't know anyone who works for GM and could get a good deal on it? I thought everyone in MI could LOL!
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:48 AM   #40
[ion] C2
636 whp

I don't know much about the 3400, neither does my dad, the dealer said it had one per cylinder.

Yeah my dad used to work for GM, my aunt does, but my dad didn't want to get the best deal I guess..