Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 09-19-2007, 10:57 PM   #1
RoetherB
GX Member

RoetherB is on a distinguished road
Overhaul for boost - Opinions Wanted

I'm getting ready to dig in to my LD9 and prepare it for boost.

I want this engine to be BULLETPROOF, and I am willing to front the cash to make it happen. I am looking for the 350-400hp range, but I want some headroom to approach 450 if I decide to keep going in the coming years.

I'm doing the engine internals all at once, and I don't want to ever take this thing apart again unless I absolutely have to, so I want top-end stuff to go in from the start.

Right now, I'm looking at Wiseco forged pistons, Eagle rods, secret cams, Cometic gaskets, and an 086 head swap. I read somewhere that some folks are using a 2.3 block with a 2.4 crank to produce a 2.6 stroker... Any truth to that? And anyone ever heard of boosting a stroker? (rofl)

Anyone have any experience doing the 75mm LS1 throttle body adaptation? I took some measurements and it doesn't look like the HO intake manifold would work at all, so a custom manifold would be the only way to go. What about the OBX manifolds on ebay they list for the z24's? Supports up to 66mm... I'm sure that could be made to work. Prolly have to cut a damn hole in my hood tho.

I pretty much have my fuel system picked out (all Venom Hi-Flow), and will be using an STR turbo manifold with some BS ebay turbo until I can snag a GT30R. I'm only going to run 8-10 lbs boost until I can get a tune. Anyone here use MegaSquirt?

Lot of questions... Probably opened up a can of worms with this thread.

-Brad

Last edited by RoetherB : 09-19-2007 at 11:24 PM.
RoetherB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:24 PM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
sounds like you got it all laid out, there is truth to the 2.6 stroker, i'm sure DOHC_tuner will spit loads of information on that.

talk to spyhunter on huge throttle bodies

talk to j-body.org/search on j-body.org about megasquirt, they have lots of information on it
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:25 PM   #3
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.ph...57816&t=257816
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.ph...71397&t=371397

Search that site more, i'm sure you'll find more 2.6 stroker info. I think it siad somewhere that he was aiming for 350hp N\A.
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:26 PM   #4
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Forget the stroker idea. Too much work and too much tracking down parts when you can easily make 450hp without it. Look at Spy, he's putting down well into the 400 wheel hp range with 2.4 liters.

Instead of swapping to an 086 head, get the 2.4 head ported, that way you don't have to worry about the high compression problems. And if you're using a Cometic head gasket, make sure you get the head and block surfaces machined perfectly flat so it won't spring a leak on you, and use ARP head studs to seal it down.

Your best bet for an intake manifold would be custom along with your 75mm throttle body.

STR turbo manifold...is that the cast one? If so, good choice, it'll work well and last a long time without cracking.

Instead of using some POS turbo and risking a fully built engine, just get a good one from the start. For you goals of 400hp with the potential for 450, a GT3071R will probably be the perfect turbo for you. It's very efficient and it'll spool very fast.

Last edited by Spilner521 : 09-20-2007 at 08:29 PM.
Spilner521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:58 PM   #5
spyhunter
GL Member

spyhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to spyhunter
a side note. Most of my current setup is for sale.

Intercooler pipes, turbo, wastegate, front mount, and even downpipe. BUY IT!
Promoter - PM me to be put on the list. Ladies first drink free wed, thur, sat
spyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:39 PM   #6
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyhunter View Post
a side note. Most of my current setup is for sale.

Intercooler pipes, turbo, wastegate, front mount, and even downpipe. BUY IT!
Uh oh...what happened?
Old 09-21-2007, 10:43 PM   #7
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
He's not satisfied with 12s lol
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:56 PM   #8
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

DOHC_tuner is on a distinguished road
Im currently in the same process right now. But the only thing holding me back is the Quad 4 Oil Pump Swap. My dam machine shop is a lil sceptical about the swap. I already paid off my forged 9:1 weisco pistons and forged eagle rods, plus my new top mount turbo manifold, ebay turbo for now , and some other parts for the oil pump swap with a total of over 2000 dollars. Still need more stuff but sounds like you got an idea of the process for the build. Take pics!!!
Old 09-21-2007, 10:56 PM   #9
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
Yeah, I just read his for sale post. Spy, what's your power goal this time?
Old 09-22-2007, 02:19 PM   #10
spyhunter
GL Member

After seeing what the cars were running at Battle of the Imports, I want to have 550hp-650hp. Which means this whole setup is getting parted out and update to something more potent. Oh, yeah, and there's this little thing having to do w/ getting a standalone.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:19 PM   #11
spyhunter
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post

that and getting whomped on by street hondas didn't make me feel too good about myself either.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:04 PM   #12
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

DOHC_tuner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyhunter View Post
that and getting whomped on by street hondas didn't make me feel too good about myself either.

what? please elaborate
Old 09-23-2007, 01:48 AM   #13
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHC_tuner View Post
what? please elaborate
When Hondas are built right and not riced out like the usual Civics you see driving around, they can be fast little cars.

There's a few street driven Hondas around here that have the piss built out of them and run 10's.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:20 AM   #14
RoetherB
GX Member

Sweet, thanks for all the great info so far.

Does anyone recommend JBP? Their prices are pretty insane, from what it looks like. Are their stage 2 cams worth the additional $700 over secret cams on ebay?

http://www.jbodyperformance.com/new/...tName=JP029 5

How about their crank services? They do lightening, polishing, knife-edging, etc. It looks like I could spend $1281.50 on my crank alone getting it all tweaked out. Surely some of that stuff isn't worth the price. It's all stuff I would like to have done, but I'm not going to spend $500 on 2 whp unless there is some other added benefit in strength or sound.

So far, it looks like step 1 is going to be getting the head P&P, 3-angle, possibly 5, valve job. The problem is, I have no clue where to go in the Cincinnati/Northern KY area to get something like that done. Bleh. Anyone know of any decent services online that have reasonable prices? JBP wants like 3 grand or something insane for a head P&P with 5-angle valve job.

-Brad
Old 09-23-2007, 10:12 AM   #15
NoSweat83
I Have ONE NUT

NoSweat83 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you look at everyone with a 2.4 running big #'s they have the secret cams not the JBP cams.

I tried to do business w/ JBP and they didnt seem to want my money enough to call me back after they quoted me $2400+ bill. IMO if they were reliable they would return they call and make some money. I was on this trip for a while too but, I ask again and again, and JBP didnt even return my e-mail to let me know if their stage 2 cams work well with boost. One of the dealers return my e-mail with this response: "The stage 2 cams will permet you to run boost". That is the answer I wanted but, without the substance. I then asked if anyone was using these cams and he said their was one car with the hahn turbo running 9 psi with no problems. That made me feel a little better so, at that point (to get to one of your questions) I asked him what the difference between the stage 1 (which are the secret cams, just their grind) and the stage 2. His response was vage. He only said that the stage 2 cams were better and he recommended getting new lifters (duh), springs (because people who dont use their springs get oil in the combustion chamber), and retainers (which have to used with their springs). If you want head work go to induction dynamics (which carries a crower valve train upgrade w/ flow benching and more) or mabey even talk to spy and see if you can get some work done through him. I just wouldnt do business w/ JBP unless I have to at this point.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:11 PM   #16
AJules
GLS member

AJules is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoetherB View Post
I have no clue where to go in the Cincinnati/Northern KY area to get something like that done.

-Brad

wow, somebody else from the Cincinnati area

and hey, if you ever find somebody in the area who does a lot of work with our cars, let me know
AJules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 01:06 PM   #17
2fst4u
[boosted 2.4L]

2fst4u is an unknown quantity at this point
stay away from that OBX crap. it's cheap copies of good parts. the bolt holes won't line up for the intake manifold. check j-body.org for A LOT more info.
2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 01:26 PM   #18
RoetherB
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJules View Post
wow, somebody else from the Cincinnati area

and hey, if you ever find somebody in the area who does a lot of work with our cars, let me know

Ha! And my cat's name is Jules! We're practically family!

Thanks for the info on JBP and OBX. I think I'll just go with secret cams for now and see if I can locate a welder to fab me up an intake. (Venom one is pretty, but $900... Holy Shnykies...)

-Brad
Old 09-23-2007, 07:58 PM   #19
spyhunter
GL Member

if you want something like my intake manifold, you're expecting something like $800-900.

It takes a lot of money to go big dog status. If you're just looking for 300hp, just have your head cleaned up and slap in some ss valves and secret cams. Add some rods and pistons, get all new gaskets and stuff. Then call it a day.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:01 PM   #20
spyhunter
GL Member

wait you said 350-400 range... just get a 2.3HO intake manifold and slap on a bigger throttle body... easy. and keep the headwork simple. the power you make is going to depend more on the fuel, the boost you throw at it, and the tuning.