Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 11-21-2010, 09:50 PM   #21
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
i'll check next time... but there is still a hole in my transmission... soo it's gonna be a while

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:34 PM   #22
acat550
GX Member

acat550 is on a distinguished road
I never really thougth of the idea of the t-stat being defective.....it could be you know, ill check that next time I drive it, but I dont think thats the problem, because when I changed my thermostat, it was the same situation as now. But like you said, hoes will tell the truth.
acat550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:19 AM   #23
robalero
GLS member

robalero is on a distinguished road
well lets make that 3 of us, if I leave my car on full tilt fans blowing and it on defrost my temp gauge does not move however it does it warm in the car after a bit
robalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:00 AM   #24
acat550
GX Member

Hmm, well maybe its not just my alero like I intially thought...I feel more relaxed knowing im not the only one with this, however now we gotta figure out a solution to fix this problem....covered the rad. Any other solutions?
Old 11-22-2010, 10:46 AM   #25
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Covering the radiator shouldn't help since before it gets to 180, the thermostat isn't even open, which means no coolant is flowing and being cooled through the radiator yet. Coolant is just recirculating around the heater core and back.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:06 AM   #26
widbyj
GL Member

widbyj is on a distinguished road
If the thermostat is stuck 'open' the system will never warm up. Even though less common that being stuck closed it does happen... Try replacing the thermostat, it's fairly cheap, and try to get all air out of the system (I drive the passenger front up a ramp, the angle helps).
widbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:55 AM   #27
jawa
Powered by LX9

jawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to jawa
i had 2 defective thermostats, it sucks but it happnes.

jawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:06 PM   #28
scott192
GX Member

scott192 is on a distinguished road
put some insulation on the heater core lines i did that with some foil tape and i makes it warmer gotta love -35 wooooo
parts so far: 10000k hid heads and fogs, alpine INAW900, bluetooth, backup camera, alpine mrp-m2000, 18fi btl, 270amp mechman alterntor, 2 Redtop Batt's, all LED lights and color changing signals white/amber (every bulb other then dummy lights) and limo back 3 and 20% in the front and tinted tails
check out my car http://www.youtube.com/user/scott192
Quote:
Well I know my car is female because she was bleeding for 7 days and didnt die!
scott192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #29
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
I also suspect a stuck (or partially stuck) open thermostat. I've had both happen on my 1975 Chevrolet, but that was a long time ago. I haven't replaced a thremostat since around 1983 or thereabouts.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:15 PM   #30
robalero
GLS member

im going to be replacing my thermo and see what happens
Old 11-23-2010, 02:39 AM   #31
acat550
GX Member

Hmm, that is weird that a new thermostat would be stuck open.... It does act like the old one, but I dont know for sure if something was actually wrong with my old one. So you guys think I should replace it again?
Old 11-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #32
robalero
GLS member

take it out, clean it good and put it in a hot boiling water in a pan. if it opens then its good ( keep it in there when cold too ) and use a temp gun of some sort to see when the thermo opens
Old 11-27-2010, 07:04 PM   #33
acat550
GX Member

Well i dont think I have time to take out the thermostat this week, but I was searching around online, and the coolant temp sensor stands out at me! Another guy had the same problem with his Honda, cold operating temperature with a significant decrease in gas mileage, which I forgot to mention which happens to me in winter...and its not because of the gas its substantial loss in fuel economy. I know where the coolant temp sensor is but was wondering if I needed a special removal tool for it? And another thing I read in my Haynes manual is that you need to partially drain the coolant? is that true or could I just pop off the top hose and let the fluid in there drain and continue with the removal?
Thanks you guys for your input!
Adam
Old 11-27-2010, 07:52 PM   #34
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
If the coolant is actually cold, the ECT is not the problem... if the coolant gets warm, your heat blows warm, and the gauge reads cold, then the ECT is the problem.

The temperature sensor does just that: it reads the coolant temperature. It's not going to make it run any certain temperature, it just reads it.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:31 AM   #35
acat550
GX Member

I would anticipate that my coolant is warm, if not i think there would be a serious problem. I checked the rad hoses and the top one was warm so I bet its that ECT sensor....Any tips on removal??