Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 07-16-2009, 06:42 PM   #1
marcg83
GX Member

marcg83 is on a distinguished road
A/C Help

Ok, so I have been dealing with this problem since last summer. My A/C doesn't seem to be working so I brought it to a shop who charged the system the right way and sure enough, it blew cold. That lasted a week. Went back and they said there is a leak in the hoses. They said thay charged again and think they "patched it up" but that lasted 10 days. I was wondering if anyone has changed the A/C hoses themselves or even attempted it. They want to charge $500 bucks and my motto is usually, I will try it myself first and if I mess it up bad enough, then I pay the pro. It has worked so far. Sorry if this was discussed on another thread, I searched and couldn't find another problem like mine. Thanks in advance for the help.
marcg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
Put some dye in the system and look for the leak yourself.
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:28 PM   #3
Blktrax
GX Member

Blktrax is on a distinguished road
Well it depends on a few things, where the leak is, and what it takes to fix it.

If the leak is in engine bay, you can pretty much DIY putting the hoses, o-rings, brackets, ect.
If the leak accualy is in the evaporator core in the dash, Its a GIANT PITA to get out, or to even find the leak.

Ask the place for a written estimate of parts and labor. That should give you a good starting point at least. Of course if you attempt it, dont take it back there to have them finish it cause then they will bend you over for wasting their time the first time and then possibly making their repair harder if something is in-addation to, wrong with the system.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
marcg83
GX Member

Thanks, I will ask them to write it up for me so I have a better idea of what needs to be changed. They said they put the dye in and it was the hoses, but I think it might be worth the money to do that myself just to make sure it is the hoses and not the condenser or something else.
marcg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:36 PM   #5
Blktrax
GX Member

Blktrax is on a distinguished road
You should still have a show hood and A/C machine up to it and evacuate, pull vacuum and then charge the system to the proper level. If in fact it is just a hose, your results will be much longer lasting than just shooting freon in.

Last edited by Blktrax : 07-17-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Blktrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
marcg83
GX Member

An update to the story I thought you might like to know. I changed the hose that runs from the top of the engine to the compressor and then to the receiver since that is what the first shop told me it was. No problem, did it in about an hour, just taking my time. I went to AAMCO to take advantage of their free A/C check and they say the condenser is leaking. Guess I have a new project. Ordered one up the other day and got it delivered today. Should make a nice weekend project. I figured I would change my plugs and upper and lower radiator hoses while I had my hands dirty. Maybe my A/C will work by the end of the summer.