Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Product Reviews

Old 04-09-2004, 10:22 AM   #1
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
Store/Site purchased: www.jegs.com
Cost/Shipping: $48.00
Store service, contact, delivery, problems, props: jegs service is great. no shipping cost.

Initial product impressions, quality: very good quailty. comes with everything you need to install
Instructions, good, bad, none, etc: Instructs are here http://invision.aleromod.com/index.php?showtopic=401
Installation notes, easy, hard, PITA: Install was easy. the hardest thing is finding a place to put controller. but it is a personal preference
If not self installed, cost of installation:

Performance, appearance opinions: On setting 1, i can easily chirp 2nd gear and it shifts firm. I would say ok for everyday driving. This setting reminds me of a standard shiftkit for the older turbo 350 and 400.

On setting 2, I can chirp 2nd and 3rd. this shifts hard. I would say too hard for everyday driving but good for racing.

You can also turn this off so you don;t have to run high line pressure everyday.

Any other thoughts about the product:
Old 09-03-2004, 12:17 AM   #2
1WhiteOSV

I love mine...i drive with setting 1 on all the time...it's how I think the Alero SHOULD have come! It is a great mod for minimal $$ Well worth the $50 or less.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:29 AM   #3
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
on my list of soon-to-get purchases
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 12:31 AM   #4
FormulaNERD
GLS member

oh, and summit has it for 38. http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?...h&Ntt=shiftplus

i'm getting a weird case of deja vu.... looks like someone has been deleting posts.
Old 09-04-2004, 02:18 PM   #5
bjensen83

I installed mine and don't feel any difference from off to setting 2. It does work for 2001 Alero V6 right?!
Old 09-04-2004, 02:36 PM   #6
FormulaNERD
GLS member

are you adjusting it while the car is off?
Old 09-07-2004, 05:03 AM   #7
flalero

Sounds like I'm going to have to buy this. Especially if Summit has it for less than $40. It sounds better than the Auto Trans interceptor, which I already have on the car. Plus, I like the adjuability from inside the car.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:33 AM   #8
FormulaNERD
GLS member

and you could easily sell the auto trans to pay for the b&m
Old 09-07-2004, 10:26 AM   #9
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
I've had this for about a year now and I love it. I leave it on 1 all the time. 2 is really harsh but I guess it would be alright for track use.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 11:21 AM   #10
flalero

Quote:
Originally posted by FormulaNERD@Sep 7 2004, 07:33 AM
and you could easily sell the auto trans to pay for the b&m
yeah, I could sell the autotrans, but I don't think I'm going to. It's in such bad shape, I don't think it's worth selling. The area around the connections is cracked and with all this rain we've been getting, it's been acting up when it's raining. Don't get me wrong, it still works, but the B&M just seems like a better product. Plus, I'll be able to keep it out of the engine bay. However, if there is somebody that you know that wants the autotrans interceptor, I'll give it to them for only the cost of shipping, once I get the B&M
Old 09-08-2004, 01:31 PM   #11
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
the B&M doesn't have the adjustablity like the inceptor but the nicest feature is the off setting.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:50 PM   #12
soupitup

Went to the track last night and got 6 runs in. I was trying the B&M shiftplus in different settings to see how it affected my times. I can't really say a whole lot judging off of only 6 runs, but it actually seemed to decrease my 1/4 mile times the higher it was set. First run it was set to 2 (max) and ran my worst time of the night which was a 16.761, the next 4 runs were, 16.623, 16.516, 16.399, and 16.353 respectively with the setting on 1(min). For my last run of the night I figured I'd get a run with it completely switched off, and ran my best time so far which was a 16.237. Now I actually like driving with the switch in position 1, and it definitely does shift harder, but after looking at the times I'm starting to think that it doesn't really improve the times any. Maybe I just need to get the engine built up with a little more power before I see the benefits of it, but on my mostly stock alero, I'm not impressed.

Just an FYI
Old 07-28-2005, 01:08 PM   #13
alero_ecotec
Special Agent

alero_ecotec is an unknown quantity at this point
hmmm, interesting, maybe i wont be getting one of those now
Old 07-28-2005, 01:58 PM   #14
Oldsman
Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by soupitup@Jul 28 2005, 10:50 AM
Went to the track last night and got 6 runs in. I was trying the B&M shiftplus in different settings to see how it affected my times. I can't really say a whole lot judging off of only 6 runs, but it actually seemed to decrease my 1/4 mile times the higher it was set. First run it was set to 2 (max) and ran my worst time of the night which was a 16.761, the next 4 runs were, 16.623, 16.516, 16.399, and 16.353 respectively with the setting on 1(min). For my last run of the night I figured I'd get a run with it completely switched off, and ran my best time so far which was a 16.237. Now I actually like driving with the switch in position 1, and it definitely does shift harder, but after looking at the times I'm starting to think that it doesn't really improve the times any. Maybe I just need to get the engine built up with a little more power before I see the benefits of it, but on my mostly stock alero, I'm not impressed.

Just an FYI

that is not very accurate at all. as the night goes on air temp drops and your car runs better. whether you have setting off or on. so i would disregaurd this test for the B&M.

the only way to tell was to run back to back passes with engine temp the same, air, humidity, baraometer the same.

if you look at your times you can see the more you ran and the more you cleaned out the motor and the air temp went down your car got faster.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:08 AM   #15
alero_ecotec
Special Agent

alero_ecotec is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^also never took that into consideration
Old 07-29-2005, 12:14 PM   #16
soupitup

I understand, and that's why I said that I can't really judge it off of just 6 runs. I'm definitely going to give it a few more chances, and a few more runs, considering all my runs were in setting one, with only one run in setting two and one switched off. My car has a few miles on it, and I'm sure with some new motor mounts it will make a difference. I just thought I'd throw that information out, and let people be their own judge. I also understand that as the night goes on the temp decreases and times can go up, but it was a very slow night at the track so there was really only like a minute between each of my runs.

So all-in-all I'm not really dissing the product just yet, I'm extremely open-minded, and will definitely try again. I just wasn't happy with the results I got that night.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:29 PM   #17
Oldsman
Owner

in most cases the j-body guys have seen either no difference or a few hunderths quicker.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:17 AM   #18
jackal

From the summit link which one would I purchase? This sounds like something I could use, I have a 2000 v6
Old 07-30-2005, 07:21 AM   #19
AleroSS

Best fifty bucks I ever spent perf.-wise on the car, and there have been difference's of .2-.5 off an E/T from the J-body guys reported
Old 07-30-2005, 11:38 AM   #20
Oldsman
Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by jackal@Jul 30 2005, 05:17 AM
From the summit link which one would I purchase? This sounds like something I could use, I have a 2000 v6

the part number is in the title