Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Product Reviews

Old 01-17-2005, 04:30 PM   #1
sl05bps

My buddy has ranted and raved about this product so I tried it...

OK...here is a list of things I had going on in my car before I used Seafoam.

1. Idle was not too steady. not too bad...but not great
2. Car started odd when sitting for a while
3. At startup it would make a weird relatively loud noise for about 2 seconds
4. Seemed like rpms were having tough time rising when reving in neutral.
5. While idling, you could feel a little "jolt" from the engine...very light though.

Here is the results after using seafoam once...its going on to day 2 now.

1. idle is a hell of a lot better if not perfect!

2. Starts A LOT QUICKER. engine would pump 3-4 times to start. now 1 and its on

3. The weird noise I had...well… I haven’t heard it at all yet...maybe that’s fixed.. this noise happened every time I started engine cold.. haven’t heard it yet!

4. rpms from what I see from the gauge I don’t' think changed. But engine feels like its reving easier (could be in my head - but I think its better)

5. Still got the jolts. But hardly ever… I think its normal on our engine anyway...you can barely feel it

What I did ...

-(Besides scaring myself to death thinking i damaged something) i used about 200mils of seafoam for engine internals thru pvc line. (it smoked like a mofo)

- Poured about another 150-200 mils into the crankcase

I'm planning on getting another bottle and dump some in the gas tank as I don’t' have enough left (very little left). I would also like to get some more going thru the pcv hose on my next oil change...and leave it at that.

Hope this info was helpful

LIGGY

p.s -- overall, engine runs smoother too
Old 01-17-2005, 07:22 PM   #2
Molson
V.I.P. Member

Molson is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Molson Send a message via MSN to Molson
Yeah, it works good, I did it in the fall.
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 07:28 PM   #3
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
huh? so what is it sealant? where can i buy it? how much? and how is it installed? you mentioned 3 places to install it in
Old 01-17-2005, 07:41 PM   #4
sl05bps

you can buy this product at murray's or auto zone. it's a little over five bucks a shot.

I sucked a half bottle right into the pvc valve, dumped the other half in the oil fill spot. and I'm going to buy another to put in the gas tank. just as a warning it will smoke like you won't believe. but evidently the smoke is the junk in your engine burning off.

Then this is straight from the companies website:

http://www.seafoamsales.com/

How Many Mechanics Use SEA FOAM
In Tune-Up of 4 Cycle Gasoline Carbureted or Fuel Injected Engines
Autos, Trucks, and Tractors

1.) With engine warm, slowly pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint through carburetor or throttle body throat. (If vehicle is port injected slowly pour SEA FOAM through direct manifold vacuum line that will feed all cylinders, possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line.) This will pull SEA FOAM down on top of the pistons and to the back of the intake valves to dissolve carbon. Turn ignition off. Restart engine after 5 minutes. If severe carbon build up is apparent, use more Sea Foam as previously directed. Make sure exhaust is well ventilated when using Sea Foam in these various ways as fumes will be extreme for a short time.

2.) Pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint into oil crank case to clean rings, lifters, dirty parts and remove moisture.

3.) Pour 1/3 to 1 full pint into fuel tank to clean injectors, carburetor jets, fuel lines and remove moisture.

Immediate Results: Smoother idle, increased R.P.M.'s better throttle response and improved performance. See label on can for detailed results for use in each area.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:04 PM   #5
-Alero-
GLS member

more questions. do i pour this stuff down the oil fill, while the car is running? and is the PCV, the black thing that is plugged into the ribbed intake pipe? i didnt know how you can pour any of that stuff through that.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:26 PM   #6
SikMindz
GL Member

SikMindz is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to SikMindz
Yeah...I admit I'm stupid. Got any pics of the pour points please?
Old 01-17-2005, 11:49 PM   #7
Molson
V.I.P. Member

Molson is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Molson Send a message via MSN to Molson
use a vacuum line.or PCV, I used my brake booster line, whatever sucks directly into TB, intake. In Seths car Sik we used the PCV port. pour it in there while working the throttle with your hand to keep it running. shut it off, let sit, re start, bask in smoke.

The instructions are on the bottle.
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 12:14 PM   #8
bigd6983

so pull off the pcv and stick the tubing into the bottle, while manning the throttle to keep the car running? also it can be poured into the crank case, and into the fuel system??
Old 01-19-2005, 12:47 PM   #9
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
used some last night, it didnt really do anything, maybe a little smoke...
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 03:12 PM   #10
bigd6983

lol yea ditto........tried it this morning........the smell is horific but didnt notice any smoke, hey formula guess that means our cars are in tip top shape lol......no smoke = no carbon burning = i take very good care of my car haha.......

but yea its 4.99, i poured a lil in every spot so i will see if the fuel and crankcase one make a difference in a while.....
Old 01-19-2005, 10:14 PM   #11
-Alero-
GLS member

Quote:
Originally posted by FormulaNERD@Jan 19 2005, 12:47 PM
used some last night, it didnt really do anything, maybe a little smoke...
i just did this today and i stuck the tube from the PVC into the bottle and it sucked it up like a jizz guzzler. and it kept wanting to die. and then i poured some in the crankcase. nothing noticable happened except for a parking lot full of smoke and about 4.24$ well wasted. <_<

was i supposed to pour the seafoam down the pcv port or let the straw thing suck it up?
Old 01-20-2005, 09:00 PM   #12
bigd6983

lol i let it suck through the pcv valve.....its a perfect fit and i tilted the can and it sucked it up......and yea the car trys to die thats why u manually man the throttle........
Old 01-24-2005, 09:59 PM   #13
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
I love your avatar formula nerd. :thumbsup:
My dad use to rave about this stuff. Like a true son, I just blew him off and assumed he had no clue what he was talking about. I had two cars. A 95 ford taurus with over 220,000 miles and a 98 Honda accord coupe with 36,000. I took my Honda in for a fourty thousand mile tune up. I asked about having them clean the carbon on the heads. The mechanic literaly walked me into the back and handed over a bottle of seafaom. He said that for 150 dollars all they do is remove the cam cover and sray it directly onto the surface. They then close it back up and let it sit for fifteen minutes. I figured that if it was good enough for a Honda dealership then it was good enough for me. I bought two cans for the taurus. One was used on the gas tank and cams. The other went into the transmission( I think it was a different type of seafoam). It immediately gave a better idle and smoother shift on the transmission. I will say that no can will ever fix a mechanical failure, but it does seem to help in preventing one.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 09:12 AM   #14
jturkey69
V.I.P. Member

jturkey69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to jturkey69
yep, ive done this before, and my lil bro uses it on every car he owns......first time i used this was on an 85 dodge charger 2.2 carbed....those cars were known for not idling right, and when i used it, i had my brother hold the throttle wide open, and i would feed the vacuum hose(pvc) into the bottle enuff to almost make it die, and then pull it out quick to let the motor rev back up, and stuck the hose back into the can of seafaom again....re-peat process until can is almost empty...then let the car idle, and stick the hose back in the seafoam to make the car quit, and let sit for 10 min....started it up after htat, and it actually ran like a new car....no hesitation, no more sputtering, and revved quicker too....
2005 Nissan Altima SE-R 6spd MODDED! (wifes pocket rocket)
1998 Ford Explorer AWD 5.0...modded, and fun DD

jturkey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 10:29 AM   #15
bluephoAm

Aren't you supposed to get an oil change after putting that stuff in the oil?

EDIT: From what I've read, this stuff thins the oil.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:42 PM   #16
jturkey69
V.I.P. Member

jturkey69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to jturkey69
good question, and id say yeah you prolly would, i have never put it in the oil, i only used it for carbon buildup problems...my brother ran it through his 82 tercel with an open exhaust and spit out so many peices of carbon deposits, that after that i was sold on the stuff
2005 Nissan Altima SE-R 6spd MODDED! (wifes pocket rocket)
1998 Ford Explorer AWD 5.0...modded, and fun DD

jturkey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 04:21 PM   #17
Matthewfinlay04

Seafoam is great. I used it in through my brake booster line. I turned the car off poured about 1/4 of the car through the line and let it sit for 10 mins. Then started it up, takes a few extra cranks since you basically flood the engine, and watched the smoke pour out for at least 5 mins straight. I thought no way had to just be the seafoam burning its self off. So about a week lately I tryed it again and barely had any smoke. MY MPG went up about 3 and it idled great. I think its time to do it again as I have dropped from 31 to about 28 since I did it about 20,000 miles ago in the begining of july. A road trip to Canada and Florida sure will rack up the miles!!
Old 10-24-2005, 04:41 PM   #18
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
i might have to try this
Old 12-18-2005, 06:14 PM   #19
eag182
V.I.P. Member

eag182 is an unknown quantity at this point
Did this 1 month ago, via the PCV valve only.

I actually broke 300 miles on a tank! I got 317.2 miles and the light came on. I filled up at Sheetz for a disgusting price/gallon but I estimated my mileage to be 26.6mpg. Before this I never broke 240 miles on a tank, and thus would get around 19.5mpg. So mathematically this thing improved me about 30%.
eag182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 09:15 PM   #20
Lovestheh20

works good for me, but my car needs the LIM replacement. so everytime I've had idle issues I know this stuff has cleaned out the oil system well ( just dumped it straight into the crankcase )