Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 03-18-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
spc2125
GLS member

spc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond repute
need help. Grinding brake

My sisters car, 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse
It sounds like metal to metal when braking. I checked the brake fluid level and its around the minimum.

The rotors look real messed up and rusty. Im thinking it could be brake pads but I'm also concerned about the rotors. She hit a big pot hole and popped the tire and dented the rim. She drove around 5-10 miles on the popped tire. (stupid woman) She has a new rim and tire but theres all this rust all over the rim now that i think is from the rotor.

Im going to take off the tire so i can take a closer look at the rotor and brake pads.
Any ideas what the problem could be?
Check out my alero!
Aleromod Showcase Video
spc2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like brake pads...time for a change. Get them checked out..its usually free or really cheap. Better safe than sorry.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Need new brakes

/thread

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Pictures are not working for me. Or were they pictures of your sister?
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
robalero
GLS member

robalero is on a distinguished road
yup new brake pads possibly rotors but they don't look bad from here. might need a caliper if one of them is siezed
Old 03-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
spc2125
GLS member

spc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond repute
took the tire off and i need new brake pads and rotors
Check out my alero!
Aleromod Showcase Video
Old 03-18-2011, 04:40 PM   #7
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by spc2125 View Post
took the tire off and i need new brake pads and rotors

are you sure they are past the minimum standards? otherwise you could just have them turned....
Old 03-18-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
spc2125
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
are you sure they are past the minimum standards? otherwise you could just have them turned....

they are junk. totally worn
Check out my alero!
Aleromod Showcase Video
Old 03-18-2011, 06:20 PM   #9
Chris2000
GL Member

Chris2000 is on a distinguished road
You're calling your sister a stupid woman when you're on here asking for help about brake pads..
Chris2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #10
robalero
GLS member

robalero is on a distinguished road
the price of turning them and the cost of buying new ones now adays is near nothing id rather just buy new ones then have them turned
Old 03-18-2011, 09:02 PM   #11
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris2000 View Post
You're calling your sister a stupid woman when you're on here asking for help about brake pads..

Also, fill up that master cyl with brake fluid. You either have a leak or a seized caliper.

TRANSLATION:

Go to the store, an auto parts store, and ask for brake fluid. Then open up the clear tank thingy on the firewall, back of the engine bay, all the way back under the hood, where the engine is. take the cap off by turning it left. Then open the bottle of brake fluid, take off the cap, then take of the silver seal under the cap that is glued to the bottle and pour it in the hole that is left from taking off the cap and put the fliud in there. Be sure to keep the brake fliud clean and put the cap back on and turn it right

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:48 AM   #12
03Sleepr
Premier V.I.P. Member

03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post

Also, fill up that master cyl with brake fluid. You either have a leak or a seized caliper.

TRANSLATION:

Go to the store, an auto parts store, and ask for brake fluid. Then open up the clear tank thingy on the firewall, back of the engine bay, all the way back under the hood, where the engine is. take the cap off by turning it left. Then open the bottle of brake fluid, take off the cap, then take of the silver seal under the cap that is glued to the bottle and pour it in the hole that is left from taking off the cap and put the fliud in there. Be sure to keep the brake fliud clean and put the cap back on and turn it right

wait, you lost me..wut r firewall?
03Sleepr is offline   Reply With Quote