Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 07-20-2006, 08:23 PM   #1
toddbobby
GX Member

toddbobby is an unknown quantity at this point
relocation harness power wire location

I just got a relocation harness and the red power wire that it came with just connects to the headunits wiring harness and then has to go to power. I was told to just run it to the fuse panel but i have never done anything like that. I was just wondering where the best place to connect it to is. Should i tap it into a fuse and how do i do that or can i just splice it into another power wire somewhere? Any help would be great thank you.
toddbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:01 AM   #2
FartCannonAlero

with mine it can with a end piece that has a small slot which slides over the metal piece of the fuse and you just plug it in..im not 100 percent sure but i always thought you can use any of the fuses..
Old 07-27-2006, 08:34 AM   #3
Six Shooter
GX Member

Six Shooter is on a distinguished road
NEVER NEVER NEVER use fuse taps. They will strecth out the contacts in the fuse box and cause problems, in the long run. If you were to ever remove the fuse tap, the fuse can lose contact and cause problems with what ever else is on that cicuit in the car.
EVERYtime I have pulled a fuse tap out, the fuse box has been damaged because of it, in the way I decribed above.

The only way to do this properly is to tap into a wire. There are several ways to do this.

If you want it to work on ACC, then I would suggest going to the ignition switch and tapping into the ACC wire ther (larger brown). Use an inline fuse for vehicle protection, just in case anything happens.

In most cases I usually go to the heater controls, there is a wire there that works on in the on position and is generally right above or below the radio. The only "problem" with this is that the radio will not be powered up in the ACC postion.

Oh BTW, always solder and tape when tapping into a wire.

I will make a suggestion on an alternate idea though.

Take the relocation harness back and get a chime module, there are a few manufacturers, Metra, Sound gate, etc. This unit is a module that plugs into the harness, creates an acc output so that you don't have to run another wire to the ignition switch, AND keeps a chime, without retaining the OEM radio and taking up valuable trunk space.

Install time goes down by at least 30 minutes, possibly more if this is one of your first installs, and quickly reversable.

Only "draw back" is that they usually cost twice to three times as much as the relocation harness, but I feel the benefits out weigh the draw backs.
Six Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:05 AM   #4
toddbobby
GX Member

toddbobby is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks alot six shooter i think i will just try splicing into the ignition wire. Can you describe the best way to find the correct wire so that i do not use the wrong one. Again thanks for the help.
toddbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 12:17 PM   #5
acold7dusta

put ur key on ACC and poke at the (brown) wires with a voltmeter till you find current, and turn the key "off" to make sure its not a constant lead. also turn it to "on" to make sure you get power there too. use your inline fuse and your good to go
Old 07-31-2006, 01:03 AM   #6
Six Shooter
GX Member

Six Shooter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by acold7dusta
put ur key on ACC and poke at the (brown) wires with a voltmeter till you find current, and turn the key "off" to make sure its not a constant lead. also turn it to "on" to make sure you get power there too. use your inline fuse and your good to go

Excellent, just one small correction, I'd like to make though.

You are looking for voltage, not current.

Current is something that happens when a component is using the voltage.

Kinda like comparing a lake to teh stream that runs off of it.

The water in the lake is like the voltage, for all intents and purposes lets just assume that the water in the lake is pretty much stagnant.
Now the stream runninf of it, while made of water has current, literally too , but you would still be finding water, not nessisarily the stream.
Six Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote