Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > At The Track

Old 01-09-2005, 04:40 AM   #1
maat

So it's apparent to me that the 3400's torque drops off fast after ~4500 rpm's. Is anyone else not convinced that letting the tach hit the rev limiter is the optimal shift point for fastest times? We all know that the engine sounds like garbage above 5000 rpm's, but is the garbage still better than a shift?

Of course, with a dyno chart and the gear ratios we could figure this out for certain. I'm well aware that our second gear is really tall, so maybe my point is only relevant for the 2-3 shift, but still.. Any comments?
Old 01-09-2005, 08:38 AM   #2
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Daytona is on a distinguished road
I take it you have a manual trans?

On the automatics it'll be different.

Either way, I wouldn't let the car hit the rev limiter before shifting. If anything, you'd want to shift before the power curve is truncated by the computer.
Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 04:01 PM   #3
maat

I have an automatic--the 3400 can only be had with an automatic, right? Anyway, when and why is the power curve truncated by the computer?
Old 01-09-2005, 04:24 PM   #4
misslindseysue

At WOT the auto shifts off engine rpm only. It shifts slightly after power peaks.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:57 PM   #5
mike2002
GLS member

mike2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mike2002
yeah, shifts at 5800. the car is starting to loose power. it does make more power at 5500, but the reason it shifts latter is because you also want to be in a higher rpm for the NEXT gear, you have to find a balance of the two. when you mod your car to breath better with a cold air intake, and free flowing exhaust, the powerband doesn't drop off as soon, it goes longer, which is why its benifical to move the shifts to 6000rpm. which is only acomplished with a chip on the 99's, or a reprogramed computer for the 99-2004's.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:48 AM   #6
MilzyZ34
GX Member

MilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MilzyZ34
Quote:
Originally posted by maat@Jan 9 2005, 04:40 AM
So it's apparent to me that the 3400's torque drops off fast after ~4500 rpm's. Is anyone else not convinced that letting the tach hit the rev limiter is the optimal shift point for fastest times? We all know that the engine sounds like garbage above 5000 rpm's, but is the garbage still better than a shift?

Of course, with a dyno chart and the gear ratios we could figure this out for certain. I'm well aware that our second gear is really tall, so maybe my point is only relevant for the 2-3 shift, but still.. Any comments?
the cure for that isn't lower shift points, it's better gearing. put some 3.69's in that thing, it will wake it up, trust me :thumbsup:
1977 Corvette - LS1/LS6 T56 - Under Construction
MilzyZ34 is offline   Reply With Quote