Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 08-04-2008, 09:36 PM   #1
blackbeast
GX Member

blackbeast is on a distinguished road
2001 alero turn signal issue

hello all

has anyone had this annoying issue with the turn signals most of the time it will work properly but there are times it wont come on until i hit the hazard light when i got the turn signal on then will work fine for a while then the same issue all over again...
last year i replaced the whole turn signal harness thought that would fix it but no such luck .....anyone have any answers on this
blackbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:41 PM   #2
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
Its a well known issue thats one of 3 things. 1. The hazard switch itself 2. Disassemble the multi-function switch turn signal and clean the electrical contacts, or 3. The relay

I'm having the same problem as you describe, I bought a new hazard switch from the dealer today for $25 that I will hopefully get installed soon. I'll let you know what happens.
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:41 PM   #3
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
ya, pretty much everyone has the same issue. i just deal with it by hitting the hazard switch like you said, but you can get it fixed for free i believe its a GM recall...theres threads about it...
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:56 PM   #4
silverbullet81
GX Member

silverbullet81 is on a distinguished road
i have this problem too and wanted to replace it myself. how hard is it and do you need to take the whole dash off to get to it?
silverbullet81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:11 PM   #5
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullet81 View Post
i have this problem too and wanted to replace it myself. how hard is it and do you need to take the whole dash off to get to it?

You can take the cluster out and the center vent to get to it. Its held in by two 7mm or 8mm bolts.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:32 AM   #6
GoldStar611
GX Member

GoldStar611 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyballs_69 View Post
You can take the cluster out and the center vent to get to it. Its held in by two 7mm or 8mm bolts.

yeah it sucks to get the bolts out because they aren't facing you, but I did this myself a few months ago
GoldStar611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:34 AM   #7
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
I will get mine fixed eventually... But, it's fine for right now...
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:47 AM   #8
cliffordwoeller
You got beat by an Alero!

cliffordwoeller is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cliffordwoeller Send a message via MSN to cliffordwoeller Send a message via Yahoo to cliffordwoeller
yeah i have the same issue and i hate it with a a passion but i am too broke to do anything about it
cliffordwoeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:53 AM   #9
Midgear
on vacation

Midgear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Midgear Send a message via Yahoo to Midgear
who needs blinkers anyways lol

Midgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:25 AM   #10
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
I had this issue as well, and there is indeed a recall for it. Just call you closest GM dealer, and bring it in. They fixed it for me free of charge. The relay is the problem, and it is not the easiest thing to get to.

Naich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:17 AM   #11
blackbeast
GX Member

blinker issue

i just called the gm re-call center and they said there is not a re-call on that issue at this time....so i guess i will check with the gm dealer and see what they can do
Old 08-05-2008, 09:40 AM   #12
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
i would tell them its a problem with the hazzard button... not the turn siginal. If they look it up by "turn siginal" they might not find the recall.
Edit, here is the link for the recall notice.
http://auto-recalls.justia.com/conte...LERO-2000.html

Naich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:10 PM   #13
blackbeast
GX Member

turn signal issue

thanks i called a gm dealer ..... it is not on a recall anymore but it is on a special order report and if you have less than 125k on your car they will fix it for free ...so getting it done tonight .....

thanks for everyones help
Old 08-05-2008, 12:19 PM   #14
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
thanks i called a gm dealer ..... it is not on a recall anymore but it is on a special order report and if you have less than 125k on your car they will fix it for free ...so getting it done tonight .....

thanks for everyones help
What kind of BS is that if you have over a 125k on your car they wont fix it. That just seems unfair to me. Luckily for you you don't have to worry about that problem.

Last edited by lonnie : 08-06-2008 at 07:28 AM.
lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:32 PM   #15
silverbullet81
GX Member

silverbullet81 is on a distinguished road
my car has a salvage title so they wont fix it for free which is why i wanted to do it myself.
silverbullet81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #16
blackbeast
GX Member

LONNI

you mis read my last responce..... if you have over 125k they probably wont fix it but if you are under that milage they will fix it for free
Old 08-05-2008, 09:45 PM   #17
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
I got my new switch installed today by a mechanic friend of mine... It works fine now.
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:46 PM   #18
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
2000 and 2001 Alero's were the only years that had the recall on the hazard switch for anyone that didn't know. Lonnie is right about it being BS, the whole point of a recall is because of a safety issue. It shouldn't matter how many miles are on the car, just because they don't like paying for thier failed design.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:36 PM   #19
shez
GX Member

shez is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to shez
Yeah, I have a 2000 and my turn signals didnt work until I fiddled with the hazard. I changed that and they're fine now.
shez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:27 AM   #20
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie View Post
What kind of BS is that if you don't have over a 125k on your car they wont fix it. That just seems unfair to me. Luckily for you you don't have to worry about that problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
LONNI

you mis read my last responce..... if you have over 125k they probably wont fix it but if you are under that milage they will fix it for free
I made a type o my bad I meant if you have over, I didn't mean to put the don't in there, but its fixed now.