Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > Site Sponsored Stores > Rock Auto

Old 07-28-2017, 01:18 PM   #1
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Rock Auto now hates Dorman too!!!

Ripped off from BITOG:

Dorman auto parts now want to price fix their products that they should sell them at a certain minimum and therefore rockauto will stop selling dorman products in the future.

I am quoting rockauto's newsletter:
http://www.rockauto.com/Newsletter/?...etterLinkEmail
"Dorman, a supplier to RockAuto for more than fifteen years, now demands all retailers sell at the same price (or higher) -- or not sell at all. The policy looks like an attempt to protect auto part chain stores and their "charge double what we paid" mark-ups, in the face of slowing sales and plunging stock prices.

RockAuto is an independent, family-owned retailer. We work hard to provide reliably low prices, on all the parts your car will ever need. Our customers depend on their vehicles to get to work, school and all the other places life takes them. We will not participate in any scheme to force consumers to pay higher prices.

Over the next few weeks, we will remove the affected Dorman parts from our catalog. Customers who purchased them in the past may obtain warranty replacements, if needed, through our Order Status & Returns page. We hope customers who need parts in the future will support us, and manufacturers who offer honest, affordable prices, by purchasing other brands."
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:39 PM   #2
01GrandAm
GX Member

01GrandAm is on a distinguished road
This right here is why I continue to support and recommend Rock Auto. I have a parts order that is scheduled to be delivered today from them.

Dorman parts suck anyway, especially their plastic window clips.
01GrandAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:28 AM   #3
leroBob
GLS member

leroBob is an unknown quantity at this point
MAP is nothing new especially in this industry. It can be a slippery slope when product lines start getting whored out for that manufacturer. Bullydog/SCT is a prime example of a brand that will viciously protect it's pricing model and will cut off real quick any vendors selling under there MAP.
leroBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:51 PM   #4
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroBob View Post
MAP is nothing new especially in this industry.

I know, but when you make sub-par products, should you really be doing this?
Old 07-31-2017, 04:12 PM   #5
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Dorman is junk. I refuse to put their products on my cars

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:14 AM   #6
leroBob
GLS member

I'm sure they have had a MAP policy for years and are just enforcing it. I'm not going to comment on the quality of the product. It is not just the brick and mortar they are protecting. Lot's of people try to set up shop in mama's basement. They go get an acct with a wholesaler like Keystone, Turn14, Golden State etc... then they literally sell sh1t as cheap as possible on ebay etc and just VDS(Vendor drop ship) to the end user. so then legit online retailers like Rock auto, autoplicity.... .list goes on can't compete because they have real over head expenses where the dude in mommies basement does not.

The Mark up on all this stuff is stupid... if they don't enforce MAP it will be a race to the bottom.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:24 PM   #7
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
yep, MAP is nothing new

by not carrying Dorman they now make it harder for individuals to find the parts they need if no other company offers them, so congrats for "helping" the common person lol
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:44 AM   #8
leroBob
GLS member

This industry is about to get hit hard by the Amazon Factor. Amazon is going HARD after the aftermarket automotive. So it is only a matter of time.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:25 AM   #9
03Alerosil
GL Member

03Alerosil is on a distinguished road
Dorman is junk anyway so no big deal. I've never bought anything automotive from Amazon but i hear it's a good spot to get parts you can't find anywhere.
03Alerosil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:14 AM   #10
leroBob
GLS member

bought my last few sets of pads and rotors off them. Actually also bought a throttle body and upper control arm(not Dorman). The Amazon return policy on it's worse day is better than almost any Aftermarket automotive sites. For the everyday joe they need to improve the accuracy of the pictures of the parts. Many times its just a generic rotor, brake pad etc. Where they usually aren't competitive is anything with a core charge since essential they do not take the core back so the cost is sunk into the part itself.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:05 PM   #11
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
yep, MAP is nothing new

by not carrying Dorman they now make it harder for individuals to find the parts they need if no other company offers them, so congrats for "helping" the common person lol

X2

Screw amazon. I avoid them at all costs. You can not use paypal so you have no buyer protection. I have a had a few successful orders from them, and a few bad. As with almost any other retailer. I will spend more money at local stores before ordering from them. I guess, I just don't like them. Stupid drone crap, terrible website, no descriptions or pictures are ever accurate. Anything I search for I can always find cheaper on ebay anyway.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:45 PM   #12
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
I literally have never had a bad experience on Amazon. Ever. I read the descriptions, the title, the reviews, and know exactly what I'm buying when I hit the button.

I've spent $54,876 in my lifetime on Amazon, purchasing 2,319 different items according to the history logs.

It's not Amazon.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:55 AM   #13
leroBob
GLS member

^^Agreed... Well I have had a few issues but they have always been quick to rectify it and make the situation right. I will usually use other sites/resources if I am buying ANYTHING automotive then just search the PN on the Amazon site. Then I use the "Garage" feature to confirm the part is a fit.

Amazon Prime has tons of benefits more do not take advantage of as well. My wife hates amazon and has "horrible luck" usually though it's operator error. Though she gladly uses the Prime music and unlimited cloud photo storage.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:20 AM   #14
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
I literally have never had a bad experience on Amazon. Ever

I've had plenty of issues with Amazon. Sending the wrong stuff.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:49 AM   #15
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Amazon isn't all great. Had a few issues with them.

Just recently I bought a case of lead additive for my Delta since it has the 330 in it now, and they sent the email saying "it's coming between 8/23 and 8/26" then got an email that it's been canceled. Really? still need my lead!

a long time ago I did all my Christmas shopping on there. Spent $500 after opening their CC.

They sent half the order and canceled the other half. But they sent me the netbook I bought.

The messed up part about that, is they thought it was fraud. WHAT? So you think somebody is commiting fraud, so you send them a computer?!?

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 08-23-2017, 07:53 AM   #16
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Quote:
yep, MAP is nothing new

Not really. Dorman is so crappy. I needed a PS Pulley. All Rock had was Dorman pulleys. Local Auto part stores also only had Dorman.

Bought a NOS one on eBay from Utah, for the same price

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 08-23-2017, 11:11 PM   #17
leroBob
GLS member

eBay in have had the worst luck with.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:13 PM   #18
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroBob View Post
eBay in have had the worst luck with.

Gotta look at the seller's rating over the past 6 months

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 08-25-2017, 06:52 PM   #19
01GrandAm
GX Member

01GrandAm is on a distinguished road
Don't order gaskets on Amazon, they throw them in a padded envelope and send them USPS. Of course when you get them they are bent to shit and are of no use. Lawn mower blades that they didn't pay enough postage on, which I paid as I needed to get the mower going, ect. I agree amazon is not always great, but then again no company is perfect. Some just better than others.
01GrandAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:40 PM   #20
zzyzzx
GLS member