Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > New Member Introductions

Old 03-23-2007, 08:38 PM   #1
2old4this

This site is awesome.

Hey everyone. Just bought a 2000 ruby red Alero, and until a week ago I didn't even know this car existed. Anyway, have 98k and other than a couple little road nicks in front the car is showroom condition. Was a 1 owner very well cared for.

Anyway, was wondering what kind of problems I can expect with this. It has the 3400 engine which I hear is not real good. The upper and lower intake gaskets have been replaced recently and I am taking it to the dealer Monday because the turn signals are acting up. The previous owner had a paper explaining about this so hopefully they will take care of it for me. The brakes have supposedly gone through some upgrade, but if you have an idea on good aftermarket rotors and pads I would love to hear it.

Thanks for the awesome site, and flood me with all the help you can.

2old
Old 03-23-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
welcome. as far as brakes go....anything other than stock is better. thats good the gaskets have been replaced, thats the most notorious repair.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:58 PM   #3
natedawg9640
V.I.P. Member

natedawg9640 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to natedawg9640
as for the turn signals... it's a bad relay in the hazard switch... supposedly it's under recall untill a certain mileage... i happen to be past that so whenever they act up... just turn the hazards on and off a few times... fixes mine
natedawg9640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:38 PM   #4
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
as for the brakes.. nothing compares for the price

http://www.r1concepts.com/Items/Combo%20Rotors210?
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:05 PM   #5
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
/\ i agree, great product for an amazing price.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:18 AM   #6
adam337
GLS member

adam337 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to adam337
howdy have a good one. id try and help you out but your post was to big for me to read at the moment :]
Lonnie: How would she feel if I took the booty one of the ladies has offered up.. What am I going to say... It's not my fault some gifts are better then others.
adam337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:50 AM   #7
2old4this

Thanks for the help everyone has given so far. I don't plan to do a lot of mods to this car, but I am interested in anything you might consider a must do. ION, thanks for the tip on the brakes. Definitely see myself getting a set of these. Anyone have a favorite brake pad?
Old 03-24-2007, 12:57 AM   #8
adam337
GLS member

Clear your corners.
Lonnie: How would she feel if I took the booty one of the ladies has offered up.. What am I going to say... It's not my fault some gifts are better then others.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:59 AM   #9
adam337
GLS member

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10
Old 03-24-2007, 09:23 AM   #10
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Daytona is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard!
Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:02 AM   #11
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Welcome

And except for the gasket leak, the 3400 is a great engine

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:58 AM   #12
antichrysler
GLS member

antichrysler is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to antichrysler
Welcome!
So far with mine the biggest complaint I've had is the brakes. Personally I replaced the OEM brakes with wagner pads/rotors and it's been working fine since.
antichrysler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:44 PM   #13
Oldsnut
Aleromod Old Fart & Owner

Oldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome aboard!!! Any signifigance to 2old4this? Enjoy your new purchase, they can act up now and then but they are fun to drive.

Final 500 #448-OCA Preservation Class Winner, Final 500 Alero #219, '02 Bravada
I am officially addicted to Olds

Oldsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:51 PM   #14
2old4this

No, just thought 2old4this would be a good handle. Gonna be pushing 50 in a couple of years and not sure I want to start any type of a project car.

So far the car is fun to drive but with 2 kids in college I can't be putting a lot of money into it. Do have another question though. The shifter (automatic) is a little loose. It's not bad, but is this normal, and is there an easy fix?
Old 03-25-2007, 12:21 AM   #15
adam337
GLS member

its pretty normal for a lot of things to go loose in our cars. i had to buy a whole new shifter because the damn button fell out. damn thing looked like it was superglued in there. and goodluck trying to put your car into gear without it. BUT anyway i think its just a staple in the front of it holding it there so idk push the staple in hard?
Old 03-25-2007, 08:48 AM   #16
steve-o
Canadian... Eh?

steve-o is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to steve-o
welcome aboard,

sorry to get off topic, but whats wrong with the brakes that everyone is talking about? I have no issues with them.

02 Alero - ecotec - 5 Spd - Springtech springs - KYB GR2 struts - CAI - Sacchi
S1 lightweight 17s - Eclipse CD5435 - Sirius radio - 6000K HIDs - LED markers
steve-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:26 AM   #17
Oldsnut
Aleromod Old Fart & Owner

Oldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2old4this View Post
No, just thought 2old4this would be a good handle. Gonna be pushing 50 in a couple of years and not sure I want to start any type of a project car.
If you are older than 45 you officially hold the position of Aleromod Old Fart and I will have to change my Avatar.

Final 500 #448-OCA Preservation Class Winner, Final 500 Alero #219, '02 Bravada
I am officially addicted to Olds

Oldsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:30 AM   #18
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
welcome to the family and the old fart group.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:00 PM   #19
2old4this

You guys crack me up. steve-o, thats a sharp looking car. I would be interested in hearing more specifics on what you have done to it. Hey, didn't mention it before but I am in KY just outside Cincy.

Any old fart titles you currently hold, you are welcome to keep. Seniority to this site should definitely be a factor.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:10 AM   #20
HazMatt24
GLS member

HazMatt24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2old4this View Post
You guys crack me up. steve-o, thats a sharp looking car. I would be interested in hearing more specifics on what you have done to it. Hey, didn't mention it before but I am in KY just outside Cincy.

Any old fart titles you currently hold, you are welcome to keep. Seniority to this site should definitely be a factor.

Welcome aboard. I'm originally from Lexington, but I've been in Arizona since I was 5. Still spent most of my summers back in KY though and I have a ton of family there still. There is a girl from Georgetown on here too.
1994 Chevy Suburban aka The Zombie Mower 4" Rancho suspension lift 2" body lift. 315/75/16 Mickey Thompson Radial M/Ts 10000K HID 12" JL W3 Subs in custom box 1000W Alpine mono amp 1F capacitor 6.5" JL mids 4X6 Pioneers in dash 450W Alpine 4 channel Dynomax cat & exhaust
2007 Cadillac Escalade EXT chameleon paint, Cadillac 22" wheels
HazMatt24 is offline   Reply With Quote