Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 09-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Oil Pan Gasket

I've noticed the bottom of my pan always has a bit of oil on it...

and between each oil change, i seem to be getting closer and closer to the "low" mark. (I change every 6 months or so)

So I'm swapping the gasket... figure I'll do the easiest thing first. hope it works.

anything I should know about doing this? Do I use RTV, or no? (seems like every gasket is different) and does the pan in the 3.4 just drop straight down, after removing bolts... (I haven't been under it in a bit) is there nothing blocking it from coming off, only itself?

My gfs tranny pan/filter seemed like it would drop right out... and then come to find out the drive shaft was in the way.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
It's likely a rubber and metal gasket, so NO sealant. My LD9 pan is a pain in the ass to angle out from under the car, tis a tight fit between the subframe.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
IIRC the 3400 drops straight down... I just want a confirmation before I go attempt it.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
sponge
GX Member

sponge is on a distinguished road
does not drop straight down :/
sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #5
cherrington17
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge View Post
does not drop straight down :/
thanks for the indepth info as to how to get it out, so i can change the gasket.

thats about as useless of a post as i've seen in a long time. Why not just post a wutermelon...

so i just read on a GA forum, that you gotta lift the engine to get the pan out... WTF!

eff that noise, i'll just use slightly heavier oil, or put a seal-restorer in. Totally not worth it for how little i'm losing.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
that's bad, but my old truck (94 dakota, 4x4) you have to take off the entire front suspension, and i think cv shafts before you can even think about pulling the oil pan. I thought i was going to have to drop it cause the shop cross threaded my drain plug, and when i went to change it myself i found out. Luckily when i put an impact on it on loosen and spun the crap out of it it came out, and i was able to re-thread the nut inside.
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #7
Pacho

It took me five minutes to read the how-to drop the oil pan in my hayne's manual. It's not something you should be attempting on the ground to be honest with you. Pick up a haynes manual at autozone/advance and read the section about it. pita
Old 09-03-2010, 06:25 PM   #8
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
The timing cover needs to come off in order to do it. That means either a very long pita job in the car, or pull the motor. Not something worth doing over a small leak. The gasket is all rubber fyi, just like the valve cover gaskets. I would just keep a close eye on oil levels or change it more often.

Actually I dont even know if you could do it in the car.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #9
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
Start by doing the most obvious.

Snug up all the bolts you can get to...
Old 09-04-2010, 02:22 AM   #10
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
Read the writeup on it when I was gonna do it for a friend's GA.. it sounded like a lot of work... what happened to the days of easy oil pan on/off?
Old 09-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #11
sponge
GX Member

sponge is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
thanks for the indepth info as to how to get it out, so i can change the gasket.

thats about as useless of a post as i've seen in a long time. Why not just post a wutermelon...

so i just read on a GA forum, that you gotta lift the engine to get the pan out... WTF!

eff that noise, i'll just use slightly heavier oil, or put a seal-restorer in. Totally not worth it for how little i'm losing.

how was that useless? u weren't sure wether or not it would drop straight out...and i told you it doesn't, because it doesn't... i don't have time to tell u all the steps just search the forums u'll find what u need.
sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:36 PM   #12
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge View Post
how was that useless? u weren't sure wether or not it would drop straight out...and i told you it doesn't, because it doesn't... i don't have time to tell u all the steps just search the forums u'll find what u need.

OWNED.....by a noob