Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
Wreckless
GX Member

Wreckless is on a distinguished road
Pos Gm

My e-break light is coming on intermittantly while im driving,and when its on the cruise doesnt work any ideas on what this might be.I havent looked at it yet I just thought Id ask here to see if someone has had the same problem.All I know is that Im getting sick of the crap going wrong with this car its always something. Can GM make a vehicle in which everything works for more than 5 or 6 years?I doubt it.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:35 PM   #2
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
ive never seen a car that doesnt have some "issue" within 5 or 6 years.

i guess changing your oil is a problem for you as well?

Old 02-11-2007, 04:05 PM   #3
Mischief007
GL Member

Mischief007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Mischief007
Advice to you. Trade it on a bicycle. I hear they last a long time.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:14 PM   #4
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
I gotta agree with Wreck, I know a vehicule comes with some issues, but of all the cars I've owned, the Alero is the one that has the most wierd things happening. I've never been to the garage as often as in the past 2 months.

And now, I think one of my hubs is going, yesterday the SES, ABS and Track off light came on all at same time, but disapeared when I restarted the car afterwards.
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
the #6 bolt torque..its impossible to get...unless I use telekenesis
Old 02-11-2007, 04:52 PM   #5
14alero
V.I.P. Member

14alero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to 14alero
its a car stuff happens
Old 02-11-2007, 05:06 PM   #6
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
every car made can last 5 or 6 years without something going wrong with it. All you have to do is buy it new, park it in a garage, put a tarp over it, and dont touch it.....ever. I can say with great certainty you'll never have a maintenance problem no matter who makes it.

Old 02-11-2007, 05:26 PM   #7
DaRockwilder
GL Member

DaRockwilder is on a distinguished road
Check your brake fluid level? the cruise not working while the e-brake light is on might be a saftey thing.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:31 PM   #8
Wildman
GL Member

Wildman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckless View Post
My e-break light is coming on intermittantly while im driving,and when its on the cruise doesnt work any ideas on what this might be.I havent looked at it yet I just thought Id ask here to see if someone has had the same problem..

Ok, since nobody seems to want to be helpful, lets take a crack at the question he has...

Does your low trac or trac off lights come on also with the brake light? Could be a wheel speed sensor on the fritz. Have you had any of the front wheel bearings replaced since you have owned it ?? Also, does the light come on and stay on, or does it come and go while you are driving?
Old 02-11-2007, 08:09 PM   #9
Wreckless
GX Member

First off Thank you Wildman and DaRockwilder for your advice it is much appreciated,and to everyone else who had a smart ass coment I do appologize for insulting the holy grail of vehicle manufacturers GM .I suppose that when I pay good money for something I expect it to work properly not crap out on me every 4 weeks,but if thats what a good car does Im going back to an old Ford truck I had that never gave me any problems what so ever.I do realize maintenance is the fact of owning a car I have no problems with that.But having to turn or change the rotors once a year is bullshit.Its the exact same thing with the GA as well. What the hell is up with that ?
Old 02-11-2007, 08:11 PM   #10
Wreckless
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief007 View Post
Advice to you. Trade it on a bicycle. I hear they last a long time.

Maybe Ill trade it in on your MOM, SweetNLow says shes a good ride.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:16 PM   #11
Wreckless
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Ok, since nobody seems to want to be helpful, lets take a crack at the question he has...

Does your low trac or trac off lights come on also with the brake light? Could be a wheel speed sensor on the fritz. Have you had any of the front wheel bearings replaced since you have owned it ?? Also, does the light come on and stay on, or does it come and go while you are driving?

The trac light comes on when its supposed to not with the brake light.I did have the rear drivers side hub and wheel bearing replaced last spring after an accident.The light mostly just comes on and stays on but it does go out every now and then.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:20 PM   #12
Wreckless
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRockwilder View Post
Check your brake fluid level? the cruise not working while the e-brake light is on might be a saftey thing.

Thats what I was kinda thinking as well it would make sense,you hit the brakes when your cruise is on, it turns it off I just gotta find out why the light is on.Off topic but you guys getting lots of snow as well in Red Deer?
Old 02-11-2007, 11:20 PM   #13
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
stay on topic. yes, the cruise not working IS a safety thing, just as if you tap the break pedal when cruise is engaged. Start with the simple stuff and see if the e-brake sensor is shorting or going out.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:32 PM   #14
Wreckless
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
stay on topic. yes, the cruise not working IS a safety thing, just as if you tap the break pedal when cruise is engaged. Start with the simple stuff and see if the e-brake sensor is shorting or going out.

Thanks.Ill give it a look and see what I can find tommorrow after work.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:00 AM   #15
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Definitely start with the fluid check, there is a sensor in the reservoir that will usually turn on the "BRAKE" light on the dash if the fluid is low.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Old 02-12-2007, 12:02 AM   #16
sorrowfulkiller
GX Member

sorrowfulkiller is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sorrowfulkiller Send a message via MSN to sorrowfulkiller Send a message via Yahoo to sorrowfulkiller
Could also be a live wire interfering with the e-brake line... Time to pull apart the center console!

Oh and about rotors... this is why I'm changing out all my rotors for aftermarket Drilled and Slotted. I figure, why waste more money on OEM parts (in the long run) that are ALWAYS going to warp, why not go with aftermarket ones from a trusted company so you know they won't warp?
Old 02-12-2007, 01:03 AM   #17
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
i was actually reading about the warped rotors the other day....... its more of a oem pad issue than the rotors

Old 02-12-2007, 10:17 AM   #18
alerocar01
V.I.P. Member

alerocar01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetNLow View Post
i was actually reading about the warped rotors the other day....... its more of a oem pad issue than the rotors
wow i always thought it was the alloy of metal they used in the rotors that caused them to warp. i guess not.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:29 AM   #19
Mr_Reed
GL Member

Mr_Reed is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Mr_Reed
I agree with Wreck GMs quality sucks
My cars a 2001 and has 71,000 miles on it and has more problems than my 1993 Ford Festiva GL with 300,000 miles on it.
(Festiva has a Mazda motor and a Kia body) But still they put a better car togeither than GM does..Also my dad had a 1998 Chevy S10 Blazer and man it was a piece had problems out the ass..
Old 02-12-2007, 10:40 AM   #20
HazMatt24
GLS member

HazMatt24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
every car made can last 5 or 6 years without something going wrong with it. All you have to do is buy it new, park it in a garage, put a tarp over it, and dont touch it.....ever. I can say with great certainty you'll never have a maintenance problem no matter who makes it.

the battery will die, stupid battery manufacturers not making batteries that last forever.
1994 Chevy Suburban aka The Zombie Mower 4" Rancho suspension lift 2" body lift. 315/75/16 Mickey Thompson Radial M/Ts 10000K HID 12" JL W3 Subs in custom box 1000W Alpine mono amp 1F capacitor 6.5" JL mids 4X6 Pioneers in dash 450W Alpine 4 channel Dynomax cat & exhaust
2007 Cadillac Escalade EXT chameleon paint, Cadillac 22" wheels
Closed Thread