Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 06-24-2010, 06:05 AM   #21
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
you "can" have a 3500 upper and 3400 lower, but if you're going ported on that 3500 and stock on the 3400, well..... it seems like there would not only be a bottle-neck so to speak, but seems there would also be a "shelf" as it were for the air flow to get around since the 3400 ports are already smaller than the 3500.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #22
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
So unless you do a full conversion there really isn't any point is there?
Old 06-24-2010, 07:15 PM   #23
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

WhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond repute
A 3500 upper ported for a 3400 lower on a stock 3400 lower is still going to improve flow over a stock 3500 on a stock 3400 lower. The advantage to the 3500 upper is the plenum volume, and the broader powerband it will give you. It is best to port everything to match the parts, but you can certainly run a ported upper on a stock lower just as you can run a ported lower on stock heads.
WhiteV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:28 PM   #24
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
That poses another question: what is plenum volume? I thought ported just improved airflow compared to a stock. So why would a ported be better than a stock 3500 when you still have the stock 3400 lower bottleneck regardless of ported or stock 3500s?
Old 06-25-2010, 04:15 AM   #25
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

WhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond repute
The area inside the upper intake between the TB and the runners for each cylinder.

The first bottle neck is the air filter. Then the intake tubing. then the maf. then tb. then upper. then lower. then heads. Why do you put a larger TB on a motor and gain power if all those other bottle necks are still in place?
Old 06-25-2010, 02:41 PM   #26
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
^^ He knows all with this topic. Years of reseach.

I have Stage 2 upper and lower (both 3400) from his site and I feel a difference.

To do an upper, you'll need about $8 in gaskets, no RTV, and 6 bolts (10mm) on the mani, 2 on the TB (13mm), and 2 holding on the coil bracket (10mm or 13mm I forget)

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:22 PM   #27
mbeals
GX Member

mbeals is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderWiFi View Post
That poses another question: what is plenum volume?

Plenum volume is voodoo magic. Think about an engine with one intake runner per cylinder fed off of its own bore in the carb/throttle body. If the cylinder starts outflowing the throttle body, the manifold bottlenecks and you lose top end power. Instead, if you introduce a larger, shared volume of air, as the heads
start out flowing the carb/tb, it has a reservoir to pull against, drawing a vaccum. The bigger the plenum, the easier it is to draw a vaccum, but that also means you lose response.

It was a big deal back in the day because carbs were a limiting factor....it was hard to just make a bigger carb. So you either kept adding carbs, or you added plenum volume.

Now this is the part I don't get. With modern MPI engines, plenums should not be necessary. You could use a tunnel ram intake with zero plenum volume and completely isolated runners....no need to worry about mixture or atomization at all in the intake manifold. Yet intake manifolds are still the same as they used to be and (some) engines still show improvements by adding plenum volume. I've even asked old time engine builders who have designed intake manifolds and manifold turtles, and they just say they know it works because it does.
mbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:43 PM   #28
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

Hard to run a MAP sensor without a shared area between all the cylinders. Its also hell on a MAF to deal with all those intake pulses. When the intake valve closes, it sends a shockwave back up the intake runner. The added area is a buffer between the intake pulses and the MAF. Most independent throttle setups use alpha N fueling, which is RPM vs TPS. Great for the track, not so simple for the street.

Plenum volume and throttle body size are just like carb sizing and plenum area, only we don't have to deal with vacuum at the throttle body to draw fuel in and disperse it to each cylinder.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:23 PM   #29
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeals View Post
Plenum volume is voodoo magic. Think about an engine with one intake runner per cylinder fed off of its own bore in the carb/throttle body. If the cylinder starts outflowing the throttle body, the manifold bottlenecks and you lose top end power. Instead, if you introduce a larger, shared volume of air, as the heads
start out flowing the carb/tb, it has a reservoir to pull against, drawing a vaccum. The bigger the plenum, the easier it is to draw a vaccum, but that also means you lose response.

Just to reiterate so I make sure I understand. The bigger the intake (ported 3500 etc.), the more air it will draw in so the cylinders have a continous flow correct? More continuous flow or an "air reservoir" so to speak-equals more power? But why would a loss in response time be the result? Seems like I would take a loss if I did the conversion or did not do a conversion-just depends on what area I want to take the hit in.

White-are you saying if I did this I would need to extend my tubing from the throttle body to the intake to diminish the shut off backflow that interrupts the MAF? What if I just opted to upgrade to ported/polished 3400s-what would be the complications with that?

Last edited by XanderWiFi : 06-30-2010 at 09:25 PM.
XanderWiFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:48 PM   #30
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

No such thing as continuous flow. When the valve shuts, the pulse keeps moving towards the valve, which has also created a wave back up the runner.

You are trying to make this much more complicated and involved than you need to be. The ported 3500 upper isn't going to kill throttle response and will offer the best powerband.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:19 PM   #31
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

I got ya. Just back me up a bit. Is there a simple metaphor that can be used? I'm just not a mechanic...I feel I could do this, but I want the ducks in line and such. Sorry if my ignorance is bugging you guys...
Old 07-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #32
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

You don't need to worry about the MAF, any tubes, or plenum volume. I am not a mechanic either. I deal strictly with performance. Unless you are building a custom intake, none of the details for making a custom intake really mean anything. The MAF/pulse thing doesn't apply in the least with a 3500 upper. If you want to learn how all that stuff works, there are books dedicated to the topic. It gets quite specific and detailed the more you read up on it.

If I try to explain anything in general terms, it just snowballs.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:16 AM   #33
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

I see. Thanks for trying.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:10 PM   #34
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

Ben, what is the best setup you would recommend on wot-tech? I see the packages and such but I wonder if there is a setup you find to be the best?
Old 12-27-2010, 10:59 PM   #35
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
^^ depends on your budget. Take a look at his site, he's got lists of stuff from Budget to all out

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:34 PM   #36
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

no budget. Which set is the all out?
Old 12-28-2010, 10:30 AM   #37
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
no budget. Which set is the all out?

DIY than... get a dremel and go to work...
xXManwhoreXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:16 PM   #38
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

That's...not an intelligent suggestion...
Old 12-28-2010, 03:50 PM   #39
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
That's...not an intelligent suggestion...

There are tons of DIY porting tutorials on the internet... I have done 2 of my cars
xXManwhoreXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:51 PM   #40
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

I am not even sure I will be able to get the produced ones in my car without destroying my engine let along produce them myself. I'm a play-around mechanic and nothing more. And we all know how internet tutorials can turn out...I say tomata, you say tomato and such. I'll take the product straight from the professional, with the professionals advice and have it no other way.