Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 12-14-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
Mach1
GX Member

Mach1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Milzy Motorsports or WOT-TECH?

So, it's become obvious that my only two reliable choices in camshafts are milzy and wot-tech. Sooo, which would you guys prefer when the car has a stock 3400? I'm looking at the stage 1 cams from both companies.

Also, I've heard that LS1 and LS6 valvesprings will work with 3400's. Should I look into those, or should I choose something else? Also, will the LS springs require any machining to the heads?

I was planning on getting a tune some how, although i know that milzy states that their stage 1 cam will work with a stock tune.

Everything is stock on the car except for the SLP cat-back, and I figure that it might be pointless to purchase a larger TB since I don't have a ported UIM or LIM. Although, I would like to purchase the ported exhaust manifolds from milzy due to headers costing a fcking arm and a leg.

Basically, the point of this build is to keep the car as close to stock as possible while upping the power by a noticeable mark. That's why I'm looking at the stage 1 cams. The stock cam in the 3400 is too tame. I think it has something like .420 valve lift. The milzy and wot-tech have close to a .500 lift, which is a much nicer number. Plus, there is just enough lift so that I don't have to modify the stock heads.

I can't get on the wot-tech site now. Wtf?
Old 12-14-2010, 08:09 PM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Slp catback? I want to see a video of it! my buddy has slp dual on his trans am and its hella loud I love it.

On to your question... I would recommend ls6 springs and better rods. I was planning on getting ported manifolds as well. I dis research comparing headers to em and from What I understand you get same amount of power but ported manifolds last longer then headers.

Between milzy and wot.. milzy seems to have alot more stuff like race block with forged internals, powder coated motors with Cam options, and a 4t65e tranny conversion kit with stronger internal options. Idk how good service is thru milzy or wot because I've never bought anything from them yet.

When I build my car I'm Probably going with milzy because they have alot more options for our cars it looks like. I'm not saying either company is bad! Just saying.

Also I don't think you need to fabricate anything for the Cam it should be just like an OEM Cam but with more power offered.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know why you would reccomend rods the stock ones should surely suffice for such a mild build.

Anyways Ported exhaust manis may flow more but who knows... I would rather have headwork done first before I started worrying about something as limited in choices as the exhaust side.
As for the valve springs the ls6 springs seem to be the choice but you will need LSX valve seats as well. I'm not sure about retainers though. All and all I would go to Milzy to give a little more money in their pockets to actually keep releasing more things, since they seem to be the only ones actually trying.
xXManwhoreXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
It isn't even a close decision IMO, WOT-TECH all the way......you can always do a 3500 top end swap which flows better than a mildly ports 3400 upper end anyways....
Old 12-14-2010, 09:11 PM   #5
Mach1
GX Member

I do know that the wot-tech cam offers the higher lift of the 2 choices (not sure about duration...), and naturally I would go with the bigger cam. Unfortunately though, i can't get on wot's site. Soooo, they might be sol

And remember kwhauck...

We're keeping things basic here. No top end swaps!
Old 12-14-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

WhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond repute
My site is up and running.
WhiteV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:23 PM   #7
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
Wasn't there another thread about this? NOT trying to start this up again, but from what I remember reading was that Ben knows his way around a flow bench.
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:24 PM   #8
Mach1
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteV6 View Post
My site is up and running.

good. goooood...
Old 12-14-2010, 10:30 PM   #9
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Milzy > all
Old 12-14-2010, 10:33 PM   #10
mfuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXManwhoreXx View Post
I don't know why you would reccomend rods the stock ones should surely suffice for such a mild build.

Anyways Ported exhaust manis may flow more but who knows... I would rather have headwork done first before I started worrying about something as limited in choices as the exhaust side.
As for the valve springs the ls6 springs seem to be the choice but you will need LSX valve seats as well. I'm not sure about retainers though. All and all I would go to Milzy to give a little more money in their pockets to actually keep releasing more things, since they seem to be the only ones actually trying.

He probably means pushrods - custom length pushrods are recommended if not required with any performance camshaft.
It either takes one hell of a build or a something going very wrong to break a stock connecting rod.
Valve lift with the stock cam is .436" on both intake and exhaust.
Your valve springs will depend on what cam you choose.
Manley retainers and locks are of excellent quality.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:36 PM   #11
mfuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
I do know that the wot-tech cam offers the higher lift of the 2 choices (not sure about duration...), and naturally I would go with the bigger cam. Unfortunately though, i can't get on wot's site. Soooo, they might be sol

And remember kwhauck...

For all the work of pulling the motor and the expense that comes with changing the cam, may I suggest just buying my motor? Everything's already done for you.....
http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32874
Old 12-15-2010, 02:40 AM   #12
Mach1
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfuller View Post
For all the work of pulling the motor and the expense that comes with changing the cam, may I suggest just buying my motor? Everything's already done for you.....
http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32874

I'm just super attached to this one

Seriously tho... 3000 mile oil changes since new, all maintenance issues addressed, just really really well kept.

I'd lose a nut for this motor (and the car) if it were in danger.

So, basically it looks like i'll get...

(fr shur)
- Milzy stage 1 cam (I just checked and the wot-tech street cam is slightly tamer in lift and duration)
- LS6 springs
- LS1 seats (I' konw manwhore said LSX seats, but I think these are what he meant)
- LS1 valve stem seals

(maybee)
- longer pushrods (will the preload from the stock rods be enough, and will the difference in power between stock be enough to justify an extra $150?)
- Manley retainers and keepers (will stock retainers and keepers work for the LS6 springs? $10 versus $90)
- Complete cam install kit (will this be totally necessary or can I get away with the economy kit?)

And Idk why it dosent say, but if the wot tech street/strip cam works on stock heads, that'd be even better. I only bring it up because there is not much difference in the lift and duration from their street cam, which is usable with stock heads.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:45 AM   #13
Mach1
GX Member

and fcking wot tech's site is down again...
Old 12-15-2010, 03:02 AM   #14
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

Quote:
- LS1 seats (I' konw manwhore said LSX seats, but I think these are what he meant)

LSx means LS with a number so LS1 LS6 etc

Quote:
- longer pushrods (will the preload from the stock rods be enough, and will the difference in power between stock be enough to justify an extra $150?)

As for power I don't see how it would change however since they are lightweight you take some strain from your valvetrain due to its lighter mass also I believe they are also adjustable therefore you can choose the lift you want out of them
Old 12-15-2010, 03:12 AM   #15
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

WhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond repute
MMS and WOT-Tech are not lighter as far as pushrods go. As far as valvetrain goes, pushrod weight is not nearly the same factor as the weight on the other side of the rocker (valve, retainer, keepers). The stiffer the pushrod, the better. The lovely thing about 60v6s, is the incredibly short pushrod compared to just about every other pushrod engine.

I don't know why you say wot-tech is down, it hasn't been down for a long time. We are on the same server as 60degreev6.com. Check and see if that site is working.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:02 AM   #16
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

Are the stock pushrods steel or what materiel?

and wot-tech is working fine
Old 12-15-2010, 08:09 AM   #17
Mach1
GX Member

Now wot tech is wrking fr me. but only if I use the link through 60degreev6. If I type in the address, I get an error page.

idk why it's f'd up (prob my internet)

so mainly the issue is...

- stock retainers and keepers versus manley.
- keep stock pushrods?
- will the wot tech street/strip cam work without head modifications like the street cam?
Old 12-15-2010, 08:49 AM   #18
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
And remember kwhauck...

swapping top ends is more basic than a cam swap, especially if you are going to be changing valves springs and anything else, you might as well swap top ends then.......

but if you are going to do that much work, seriously you should buy matt's motor, and be done with it, that is the easiest and probably cheapest option..
Old 12-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #19
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

The only cams I sell that require head modification are the race/boost type, XFI lobe cams. You can run over .640 lift on stock heads with the right springs. The race cams need the stiffest spring I have, and those need the seat pressure lowered by increasing the install height. This is done by cutting the seat pockets down on the head. You can run the strip cam with the comp 26986 springs on an otherwise stock head.

Stock retainers and keepers are fine. Manley are closer tolerance, and lighter. The pushrods depend on the lifter preload. There is a difference between what can be ran, and what is best for performance. The mpg, street, and street/strip cam can easily be ran on the stock pushrods, but you will be .020 to .030" short on preload. This means you are giving up duration and lift.

So no matter what company you go with, you will need new pushrods for the best performance.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #20
kwhauck
2Screwy

^^^ that is why you should go with WOT-TECH.....