Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 02-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
RisenequinoX
GL Member

RisenequinoX is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to RisenequinoX Send a message via MSN to RisenequinoX
Horn problems?

this just started about 15 minutes ago, but im laying down and i hear a car horn for a minute and im not sure whos it was then i realize that its my car. i go outside and the lights are flashing and its not a pulsated beep its just a staright tone and its really annoying. I tried to start the car and when it started up the horn was still going. I press the horn on my steering wheel and that stopped it.

About 30 seconds later after i locked my car it did it again. so i pressed the horn button and it stopped. about a minute later it went off so i ripped out the horn relay and havent heard from it since.

Any ideas what the problem is? im sure i have some pissed off neighboors.

I did put my subs back in about 2 weeks ago but i cant imagine that would be the problem.

100,000 Mi 3/29/2011
RisenequinoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:18 PM   #2
Chris2000
GL Member

Chris2000 is on a distinguished road
Take off the plastic cover piece that is between the cluster and the wheel that covers the column. Look down in there and look for the gold ring. This is just a piece of metal that completes the connection when you push onto the horn a pin touches the metal completing the curcuit. Check to see if the ring got screwed up and looks all jacked up. Also check the plastic cover to see if one of the plastic pegs might've snapped off and fell in there which could've caused the ring to get screwed up. It happened to me and so as of now I do not have a horn but I do have another steering column with a ring so I probably will change it when the weather is better. But yeah if it's not that maybe it's just something with the wiring you did with your subs somehow.
Chris2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:24 AM   #3
2fastshifter
GX Member

2fastshifter is on a distinguished road
Crap! That's twice!

last week on the couch . . . i heared my air horns going off . . .!
after 30 seconds the fuse blows . .silence . . .

this morning it happened again, but the fuse hold it . . . whole street was outside to see what was happening . .lol . . .

looked in the forum and yes, i am not the only one . . lol.

well i feel te next (little) job on the car coming hehehe, i am glad it did not happen in the middle of the night . . .hehehe.
2fastshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris2000 View Post
Take off the plastic cover piece that is between the cluster and the wheel that covers the column. Look down in there and look for the gold ring. This is just a piece of metal that completes the connection when you push onto the horn a pin touches the metal completing the curcuit. Check to see if the ring got screwed up and looks all jacked up. Also check the plastic cover to see if one of the plastic pegs might've snapped off and fell in there which could've caused the ring to get screwed up. It happened to me and so as of now I do not have a horn but I do have another steering column with a ring so I probably will change it when the weather is better. But yeah if it's not that maybe it's just something with the wiring you did with your subs somehow.

I had this exact same thing happen. For reasons unknown, that little gold ring fubar'd itself and was shredded. Unfortunately my steering wheel wouldn't come off, so I could DIY the fix. (...which lead the dealer to screwing my out of $1200!)

the part to fix it is like... $10, if you can get the column apart.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
Chris2000
GL Member

Chris2000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
I had this exact same thing happen. For reasons unknown, that little gold ring fubar'd itself and was shredded. Unfortunately my steering wheel wouldn't come off, so I could DIY the fix. (...which lead the dealer to screwing my out of $1200!)

the part to fix it is like... $10, if you can get the column apart.

Yeah or I can just make a slit in the gold ring so I can put it around the column since it's purpose is to just touch the pin
Chris2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
They made me buy a new steering wheel, since they had to cut mine off (wouldn't budge)

and then a bunch of other stuff that I'm pretty sure I didn't need...
Old 02-22-2011, 10:36 AM   #7
2fastshifter
GX Member

Well looked into it remover the upper and lower cover i see a big gold ring, with some green plastic on it, but when i press the horn i don't see any pins moving and nothing is happening with the big ring . . . . .
any tips how i can remove the airbag?
i suspect there are horn-switched in it?
Old 05-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #8
2fastshifter
GX Member

Well took my lh airbag off the wheel, and the two horn-switches are IN the darn thing!
so no switch contact direct on the slipring, but between the airbag itself and the steering wheel cover. unreachable because i refuse to take the airbag itself apart . . . .
problem still solved, horn not randomly going off by itself in the middle of the night because i connected the power for the horns to a switched outlet.
so the horn only works with contact on.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #9
cherrington17
Gone

you can just pull the relay, until you get it fixed.

...and the airbag disassembles quite easily. 4 bolts on the back and then pry the cover off. No big deal. Without power connected, the bag CANNOT go off.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:11 PM   #10
paul ron
GX Member

paul ron is on a distinguished road
I have a 2000 2.4L 4dr.

5 years ago my horn went off early in the morning. I thought I heard something but went back to sleep. When I finally went out, my neighbor told me my horn was blowing for hours then went silent.. he tought it was a burgler. I tried blowing my horn, it wouldn't blow. I looked under the hood, the horn had completely melted.

I replaced the horn n never had a problem since.

Last edited by paul ron : 05-03-2011 at 08:15 PM.
paul ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #11
robalero
GLS member

robalero is on a distinguished road
there is a special tool to remove the air bag too if you really wanted to buy it. its about $15 or you can rent it from any place that rents tools
Old 05-05-2011, 02:37 PM   #12
2fastshifter
GX Member

well, problem solved by switched "horn power" and i did not tell that this is the second horn this happend to, my former air-horns burned out after a long loud orchestra in the neighbourhood.
thanks fot the answers!

Mark.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:56 AM   #13
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Holy shit you are in the Netherlands....damn aleros are everywhere...lol!