Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 04-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
alerogls001
GL Member

alerogls001 is on a distinguished road
Coolant loss help.

Ok, Im losing coolant. Now this particular situation is diff than the limg... it appears to be dripping farther from the passenger side where the overflow is... so I parked at work looked underneath and then popped the hood. Looking underneath is when I noticed it wasnt coming from my regular leak behind the oil filter. See where the cig is on the ground- it was a little to the left. By the time I popped the hood the leak had stopped. There was nothing coming from the overflow itself kinda, it looks like it was coming out of the rubber tube that runs from the top of the bottle near the cap. Ive had probs before with the cap on this new reservoir (couple yrs old) and when I had the limg replaced even the mech had put the cap on crooked and had antifreeze everywhere on the way home. So with the history of the cap my best guess is something pressure related to the reservoir. The lighting in the pics suck but that is the best I could get in the parking garage. The one with the reservoir is supposed to show evidence of coolant on the frame under the rubber tube thing but I think its too dark.

MP Racing CAI, Pacesetter Exhaust, and PCM. High flow CAT. KYB GR2 struts. Canuck Motorsport Springs. Cross drilled rotors. Stern ST18 17" rims.

Last edited by alerogls001 : 04-27-2010 at 11:32 AM. Reason: because pictures would help lol
alerogls001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
I really can't tell anything from those pics, except that it's on the passenger side of the car.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
I might help if you stated what year car and mileage.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:07 PM   #4
alerogls001
GL Member

2000 with over 200k miles. There was no coolant directly under or around the reservoir... just underneath where the hose goes down to the frame. Under the sensor in the picture (w the orange strip at the base).

MP Racing CAI, Pacesetter Exhaust, and PCM. High flow CAT. KYB GR2 struts. Canuck Motorsport Springs. Cross drilled rotors. Stern ST18 17" rims.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
alerogls001
GL Member

Here it is with the hose outlined. It goes down to the frame. Thats where it looked like where the coolant is coming from. I guess the main question would be what is causing it to overflow there?

Old 04-27-2010, 01:29 PM   #6
Raziel
GX Member

Raziel is on a distinguished road
I have had the same problem, along with another of the members here, take the cap off and put some olive oil on the threads of the cap and the purge tank, and snug it down.

The cap has somewhat of a pressure regulator in it, if the cap isn't sealed properly, the regulator doesn't work and lets the coolant escape from the purge tank through the overflow hose.

Raz
Old 04-27-2010, 01:50 PM   #7
alerogls001
GL Member

I had a feeling it would be something like that. Oh well. Thanks though and I think I will just buy a new one... isnt as expensive as I remember the last one costing me!

Old 04-30-2010, 11:34 AM   #8
AXLE
GX Member

AXLE is on a distinguished road
Make sure the cap is good but, a failed head gasket can pump compressed air into the cooling system and force it out that drain tube too. Once it cools, check that by starting the motor with that cap off to see if there is bubbles being pumped into the reservoir, if not, it was probably just the cap.
AXLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:43 PM   #9
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Am I the only one that sees that it appears the surge tank is cracked?
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:14 PM   #10
Alerojester
GL Member

Alerojester is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Alerojester
i see it too right below the hose in the picture

stock 2.4-building a WAI to a CAI 3A Racing muffler- ~Kicker Door speakers and Power Accustic rear speakers 10% tint 18x7.5 Alt Sonix, 2001 GLS sedan
Alerojester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:49 PM   #11
AXLE
GX Member

AXLE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post
Am I the only one that sees that it appears the surge tank is cracked?

Up until now.
AXLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #12
dbailey
GL Member

dbailey is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeap the tank is cracked. Bet that's where the leak was coming from.
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:13 PM   #13
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
Yeap the tank is cracked. Bet that's where the leak was coming from.

That's a common problem! There is even an after-market Dorman model, although IMO Dorman parts are cheap Chinese junk that should be avoided. Get a real AC Delco one at Rock Auto.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:50 PM   #14
alerogls001
GL Member

Hmm well I don't have the old one to verify but I saw coolant coming from the hose when it was still on. I suppose it could have been going down the side but at the rate I was losing coolant it seems I would have noticed a crack. It was dirty so could just be marks.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:20 AM   #15
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Good call Cliff. I didn't see that.

That's your problem. However I'm glad others said the stuff about the cap because when you replace that bottle you very well could have that problem

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:29 AM   #16
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
Good call Cliff. I didn't see that.

That's your problem. However I'm glad others said the stuff about the cap because when you replace that bottle you very well could have that problem

I think even one of the replacement overflow tanks comes with the cap. It's recommended to replace the cap at the same time.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:46 PM   #17
alerogls001
GL Member

^ Yep, this is the second one I've bought and both came with new caps.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #18
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alerogls001 View Post
^ Yep, this is the second one I've bought and both came with new caps.

I think it's the Dorman model that comes with the cap. I think it's really just AC Delco and Dorman are your only choices.

And the reason you bought a second one is? Did the first Dorman one break, so you ran out and bought another Dorman one?

The last two Dorman products I bought only lasted a month.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:07 PM   #19
alerogls001
GL Member

Dude, I didn't think anything of the brand. After I replaced the original, the Dorman lasted roughly 4 years. Hopefully this one will last that long as well....