Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 12-31-2008, 12:03 AM   #1
alero168
I Love Tiara!

alero168 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to alero168
Exclamation Key replacement

hi guys, havent been on in ages but i need some help...

long story short my dad was mugged tonight and they took both his keys to the alero (yeah my dad is driving it now)

cant find the other spare key we have, so my question is how can we replace the key (and what's the best way dealer? or locksmith?) and how much would it cost?

thanks for any help
Old 12-31-2008, 12:22 AM   #2
meadus101
Hot and Fluffy.

meadus101 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to meadus101
I'd suggest a new igntion cylinder, and maybe door locks.
meadus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:03 AM   #3
Guitar_B
GX Member

Guitar_B is on a distinguished road
junk yard...

When my Fuel pump let go.... (30 hour repair with my car jack and about 40 beer) I looked everywhere for a used fuel pump... Came across an Alero (2.2 Eco) apparently the guy blew the engine from racing it... The whole gas tank was gone.. Sold it for 200 bucks (With the Fuel pump) and i started asking questions and prices... He only wanted 250 for the ignition... both door Locks (2 door) and the keychain thing with the other thing for auto-lock... had both keys too...

I dont know how much they cost new... but i can imagine with the door locks too it would be like 500$.... CAD of course...
Guitar_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:57 AM   #4
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Personally if they don't know you then it isn't likely that they are going to try and steal the car. Its to much work for a common criminal. All they look for is a quick fix. I've lost an alarm remote and I didn't have my alarm taken out because of it. I would't worry about it if you feel that the mugger doesn't frequent the area or knows you license plates number. If he has your dads drivers licenses, then he knows the address and on just that I would get everything changed, and of course if you aren't able to find that spare then you will have to get it rekeyed anyway.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:10 AM   #5
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
Goto the dealer and have them cut a new key from your VIN#. I've paid as little as 3$ at one dealer and as much as $8 at another, and the 3$ key is better. Go figure.
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:24 AM   #6
Beholder88
GL Member

Beholder88 is on a distinguished road
Well, if you've got the resistor in your key, or a chip, it's going to cost more than a few bucks for the dealer to cut a new key. It's going to be somewhere around $80 - EACH
Old 12-31-2008, 10:44 AM   #7
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
Alero has passlock, not pass-key.
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:57 AM   #8
Beholder88
GL Member

Beholder88 is on a distinguished road
You're right, they didn't make any with the ship in the key. But the dealer will still charge you an arm and a leg to make a new key with the resistor slug, unless you want to find a way to bypass it.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:22 AM   #9
alero168
I Love Tiara!

when he was mugged they just grabbed everything in pocket with a gun to his head!! and he thinks that something in his pocket might of had our address... so right now were waiting for a locksmith to come and change the ignition key at the least... i guess i dont care if they still have the same door key since the ignition key will be different.

thanks for all the replies. it probably would be cheaper to get a key from the dealer but were changing the ignition key anyways so idk.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:28 AM   #10
HazMatt24
GLS member

HazMatt24 is on a distinguished road
First off, I hope your dad is doing ok.

Secondly, you have a couple of prime opportunities here. You now have an excuse to go to a push button start and remote door locks. No need for a key there. Next, if it were me, I'd hope the guy would come looking for the car. Soon as he stepped up next to it to open the door I'd light him up with the 9mm. One emptied 20 round clip later and not only have you taken out your anger, you've done the community a service by taking a bad guy off the street. Vigilante justice is good for everybody. If none of that sounds fun, I'd just stick with taking the VIN to the dealer and getting a new key.
HazMatt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:40 PM   #11
don69
V.I.P. Member

don69 is on a distinguished road
i had to take my title a bill of sales to the dealer and he cut me a new key i think it was 9 bucks
don69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:51 PM   #12
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Wow, is your Pop OK?

Yes I would change the ign cyl and door locks to all the cars that had keys on that key ring. also the house too.

Probably took the wallet and dumped it a few blcoks away, but still, better safe than sorry

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:25 AM   #13
AftermathAlero
V.I.P. Member

AftermathAlero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to AftermathAlero
you dont need to change it completely. the locksmith can rekey everything.. car locks and house. Less buying you have to do it, just modifying it.

Sorry to hear about your dad getting mugged charles. Hope he is alright.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:06 AM   #14
darksobsession
GL Member

darksobsession is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to darksobsession
put a tracer on the car so you can track them down and carry out the 'vigilante justice.'

your dad's doing fine, though?

sigs are annoying
darksobsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #15
alero168
I Love Tiara!

sorry for the late reply but yeah my dad was fine after the incident. we had a locksmith come out and rekey everything, they had to do 2 keys though, so it's like an old school olds now, key for the door and key for the ignition. but it''s not a big deal since he recoded the alarm fob.

thanks for the help and concern
Old 03-01-2009, 10:18 AM   #16
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by alero168 View Post
sorry for the late reply but yeah my dad was fine after the incident. we had a locksmith come out and rekey everything, they had to do 2 keys though, so it's like an old school olds now, key for the door and key for the ignition. but it''s not a big deal since he recoded the alarm fob.

thanks for the help and concern
nice, ever catch the bad guy?"
Old 03-01-2009, 10:21 AM   #17
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
whose to say it was even a real gun? someone puts one in your face, your not looking for tell tale signs of authenticity... your just doing what he/she says....
Old 03-01-2009, 10:26 AM   #18
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
whose to say it was even a real gun? someone puts one in your face, your not looking for tell tale signs of authenticity... your just doing what he/she says....

lol, someone tried that once with my friend, it was an airsoft pistol with the orange tip removed...