Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 12-26-2006, 02:57 PM   #1
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
Yay something else for Xmas...

Anybody have the part # for the little plastic support that holds the two manual shifter cable on the transmission? And do they make some out of metal actually?

That little piece decided to brake on middle of Highway on a 5th gear shift and got stuck so i wasn't able to shift anymore. I gave him the business and was able to shift in 4th, stayed there till I got out of the Highway. Then i was stuck in a gear (probly 4th and my shifter was moving in circles. Called road assistance, while waiting for the truck, I played with the cables underneath the shifter boot and somehow managed to release the cable.

The guy checked in the engine bay and showed me the support broken in 2. It moved a bit while I played with the cables, because I was able to get the car back home, but shifter was softer than usual.

I don't want the car to move a lot, so it doesn't get stuck again. I suppose that the 2 beige plastic things that the support holds are there so nothing else gets in the transmission.

Is it an easy fix and a cheap piece, or is it a PITA?
Vinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:56 AM   #2
Vinalero
GLS member

Oh god, just had the word from my mecanic. The piece is the shift cable bracket. Of course it is back order EVERYWHERE, no dealer in Quebec has it and absolutely no Junkyard has it also (I called about a dozen of them).

It got to be made and shipped from the US in 5 to 10 working days.

Goddamn its incredible how a f***ing 3 inches long plastic piece will make my life miserable because I need my car for work. On top of that, they do sell that piece at 90 $ CDN and he said he never changed this part on a car. Now I definately feel special

Anyone near the border has that piece on hand that they can teleport in my hands right here?
Old 12-28-2006, 11:40 PM   #3
brim
GLS member

brim is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brim
sucks dude

follow the titans
brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:51 AM   #4
Vinalero
GLS member

Heppy ending

After goin to the dealer myself and getting the # number, I was told the same crap (nothin nowhere in Canada, 5-10 business days for delivery). Also, they could Fedex it here, but it would have cost about same price as the part for shipping (85$ + 85$ for a stupid little metal piece, thats ridiculous). They said the rates for shipping were special ones because it was being shipped in "emergency"

So my boss had some contact, he called a local scrapyard and ask him if he could do something. I then went there and looked over a Sunfire 2001 manual transmission. The damn piece was there and looked really similar to the other one, so I took it for 35$ (maybe a bit expensive, but looking back at the new dealer's price, I figured it was ok)

Went back to the garage and finally it fit properly

So instead of having to pay around 170 bucks for the piece + 45 for installation, I ended up paying 80$ total.

I have the old piece, it's really weird how and where it broke. I'll try to post a pic (I know I say that often, but i gotta borrow a camera)
Old 12-29-2006, 05:47 PM   #5
Vinalero
GLS member

There are the pics of the broken bracket:

Still I'm wondering what made it break like this on a piece that doesn't have any pressure applied to.

Last edited by Vinalero : 02-08-2007 at 10:57 PM.