Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 01-08-2007, 09:16 AM   #1
teebo7

Key won't turn in ignition!

Car's been working fine all weekend, go to turn it on this morning, and the key would not even turn in the ignition. Tried my spare key, no luck! very frustrating, i searched for threads on this but didn't find any.

Can anyone give me insight on this? happen to anyone else? is there a fix besides getting it replaced (which i'm sure is a pain)

Last edited by teebo7 : 01-08-2007 at 09:41 AM. Reason: made some spelling corrections
Old 01-08-2007, 09:45 AM   #2
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
jiggle the shifter and make sure its all the way in park

SweetNLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:07 AM   #3
teebo7

thanks! will try that tonight
Old 01-08-2007, 10:39 PM   #4
teebo7

anyone else have this problem seems like the jiggling did not help...this will be the second time i have to get the ignition replaced...the first time being the same problem....

Last edited by teebo7 : 01-09-2007 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:26 AM   #5
alero168
I Love Tiara!

alero168 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to alero168
are you using the factory key or one that's been copied? i've had copy keys from walmart that would only turn if you put it in one way even though the "teeth" are the same on both sides.

if youre using a copied key try the original and if that doesnt work get another copy made from it from a lock smith not from big boxes. lock smithes should have "Olds" keys
alero168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:36 PM   #6
teflone
GL Member

teflone is an unknown quantity at this point
Locksmith here..

Im a locksmith..

Trying your spare key would be the first thing I would have told you.

if your spare key is just as worn as your normal one.. then I would suggest re-originating the key..

Also, pull your steering wheel ALL the way left, and try your spare key..
Then all the way right, and try key..

Now failing all that..
Grab some WD-40 and squirt some on key, and insert the key a few times.. both ways, (As in flip key over)
Do this a few times, then squirt a TINY bit right into the ignition, trying to center the squirt on what you think would be the middle of the key if it were inserted...

Theres no reason why your ignition shoudl fail twice, I SERIOUSLY think as one person already stated, your new key for your ignition is not original, and your keys are wearing out fast, or one cut on your key is off by a step, this would be the culprit of two "failed" ignitions..

Get your keys re-originated to your passenger door cyclinder code, and cut by a professional with an ITL (Computer) key cutter to factory code. from the code/serial # on passenger door lock cyclinder

Actucally scratch that, you dont have original ignition cyclinder, so that wont work..

Get re-originated to ignition, ignition has to come out, and give to locksmith, or call locksmith to take it out and do it..

ohhh yeah.. try also pulling your key out a tiny bit from the ignition while you turn it..

Sometimes bad key copies let the key go too far or too short into the ignition cylinder..
So obviously try pushing it in furthuer (if possible) too!

Last edited by teflone : 01-09-2007 at 12:46 PM. Reason: oh ya..
teflone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:54 PM   #7
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not a locksmith...

Have you tried Graphite? When my brothers ignition locked up it solved the problem right away.

Last edited by AGT : 01-09-2007 at 12:56 PM.
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:15 PM   #8
nhartwell

graphite works well, but it might just be the key column is shot. i got pulled over, and when the cop had me outside of my car asking questions, he is like i will turn off ur car for you.. i have a 5 speed and u must turn the key 'off' and put in reverse. He left in neutral with the car still on and ripped the key out. had to have that replaced lol. so shitty and i still had to pay for it. effing pigs.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:37 PM   #9
teebo7

thanks guys will try some of your suggestions, my two keys i believe are original from when i bought the car, i did not try the spare key but will do so tonight...as well as some of your other suggestions...thanks again!
Old 01-09-2007, 04:46 PM   #10
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebo7 View Post
anyone else have this problem seems like the giggling did not help...this will be the second time i have to get the ignition replaced...the first time being the same problem....

yea....laughing at it surely wont fix it
Old 01-09-2007, 05:00 PM   #11
teebo7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal2000 View Post
yea....laughing at it surely wont fix it

oops lol i'll fix that!
Old 01-10-2007, 11:25 AM   #12
Twiz
GX Member

Twiz is on a distinguished road
There's a link cable in between the shifter console and key cylinder. It will not let you turn the key if your car is not in Park or Neutral. This means you'll have to open up the center shift console and... I wish I had a FSM. Check the link cable that leads from the shifter to the key cylinder and the cable that links the shifter and the transmission.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:18 PM   #13
teebo7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiz View Post
There's a link cable in between the shifter console and key cylinder. It will not let you turn the key if your car is not in Park or Neutral. This means you'll have to open up the center shift console and... I wish I had a FSM. Check the link cable that leads from the shifter to the key cylinder and the cable that links the shifter and the transmission.

will do thanks again guys
Old 01-10-2007, 09:53 PM   #14
teebo7

so after taking more of your advice, taking the center console apart etc etc i had no luck. Frustrating to say the least. Tried the spare key still no movement from ignition... turned the steering wheel all the way right and all the way left still no luck, so as a last resort it seems like i will have to take the ignition out and check that. both keys work fine on the doors and trunk...not sure what else it could be....cable from shifter to ignition seemed fine...

Going to take more apart friday and last straw take out ignition....if you have any other suggestions, i'm open to anything at this point!
Old 01-10-2007, 10:06 PM   #15
GoldStar611
GX Member

GoldStar611 is on a distinguished road
its not easy to take the ignition out without the key turned to the on position or the cylinder won't release on that cable. This happened to me and I got it towed to a shop and they "drilled" it out and replaced it with a new one $600 later. Hope you don't have to take the route I did.
GoldStar611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:09 PM   #16
teflone
GL Member

teflone is an unknown quantity at this point
keep going

Keep at er.. you'll have to take ignition out..

The cuts on the key for the doors, and glovebox are different from the ignition cuts..

As in the first 5 cuts do the doors, the next 5 cuts are for ignition, and the middle 4 are for glove box(or trunk)

Just so ya know, your going in the right direction..

Take the ignition to a locksmith.. a good locksmith will have LOTS of
GM 10 cut keys.. one that comes to mind is a curtis B89 key..

call a locksmith and ask if he has that or an equivelent in stock, (Which he certainly should) and let him have a crack at it..

Could have broke a wafer pin or the springs on them.

Another long shot would be to grab EVERY SINGLE key that fits into your ignition as in ANY GM double sided key, and insert them, then insert yours and try turning it.. If a spring on your wafer pin is broke, theres a long shot that it might move it into a position that it clears the cylinder, or in lamens terms, it would alow it to turn.
teflone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:30 PM   #17
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
i know on the newer hondas/acuras that if u turn the wheel while the car is off, it will lock in that position...and u wont be able to turn the key....put the key in the ignition, and turn the wheel one way or another, try jiggling the steering wheel while trying to turn the key

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:05 AM   #18
Silentalero
Kitteh is back!!!!

Silentalero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Silentalero Send a message via AIM to Silentalero Send a message via MSN to Silentalero Send a message via Yahoo to Silentalero
its the master cylinder in the ingnition, happened to me at about 60k

do you have alot of heavy keys or keychains?
Silentalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:49 AM   #19
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr1m View Post
i know on the newer hondas/acuras that if u turn the wheel while the car is off, it will lock in that position...and u wont be able to turn the key....put the key in the ignition, and turn the wheel one way or another, try jiggling the steering wheel while trying to turn the key

Aleros don't have the steering column lock, so turning the wheel is useless in regard to the ignition switch. (this is why the 5-speeds have to be in reverse to get the key out).
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:35 AM   #20
teebo7

silent keys are heavy not massive but i do have lots of keys on them.....