Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-10-2008, 06:31 PM   #1
Alero_1986
GL Member

Alero_1986 is on a distinguished road
Manual Transmission Fluid

I am changing my transmission fluid along with other repairs currently on the go. Wondering what others with the F23 are running.

GM recommends Dextron III Automatic Transmission Fluid for the Getrag F23 transaxle. However, a few members of J Body Ontario have had pleasant experiences with MTF synchromesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spddmon View Post
I have just switch trans fluid to Amsoil MTF Syncromesh, and it is hands down the best fluid I have used. Whether hot or cold it shifts the best.

For comparison I have also used:

Regular dino ATF was too thick cold and too thin hot.

Mobil 1 syn ATF (for about 20K) and found it way to thin. Very notchy, hard to get into reverse and I had to double clutch to get into first when downshifting from second.

Royal Purple Syncromax was a great improvement from the Mobil 1. Smoother and easier to get into gears. I accidently spilled some when an axle popped out doing a ball joint, and I was surprised to notice that it had significantly darken over the 15K it was in the tranny. I mean it was black, all the other fluids (regular ATF, Mobil 1 ATF, and Amsoil ATF) came out looking brand new even if they had more miles on them.

Amsoil syn ATF was the only thing I could find on a Sunday afternoon after I spilled the Royal Purple. This fluid worked ok but alot of the Mobil 1 characteristics return. I just find syn ATF is just to thin.

I realize that GM recommends ATF for the Getrag but there is also a bulletin to use syn Syncromesh in the Getrag if you experience trans rattle. Plus Amsoil MTF syncromesh viscosity is only slightly thicker than ATF but nowhere near as thick as gear lube (i.e. Redline MTF). For reference RP viscosity is almost the exact same as ATF. Amsoils is also a GL4 lube unlike B&M which is a GL5 which can cause excellerated wear of brass components.
Alero_1986 is offline   Reply With Quote