Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 10-30-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
00sleeper
GX Member

00sleeper is on a distinguished road
18"s with a 5x114.3 bolt pattern

i was wondering if there was anything special i had to do to get them to fit right since it's not dead on bolt pattern, such as spacers or anything..because it's causing my front brakes to rub pretty hard when coming to a stop.
00sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:31 PM   #2
strtrydr
Premier V.I.P. Member

strtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to strtrydr Send a message via MSN to strtrydr Send a message via Yahoo to strtrydr
i believe that you need to get hub-centric rings to use 5x114.3 on the 5x115 bolt pattern ... can someone verify?
strtrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:37 PM   #3
Vic28
GL Member

Vic28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Vic28
where is it rubbing?? Wheel and fender once you are braking and car diving the nose? Or the caliper and wheel itself? sorry lil confused.
Also^^, you will need hub-rings on both bolt pattern. Basicly aftermarket wheels have bigger center bore so they can be "universal", leading the need of hub-rings to compensate the space for each vehicle. The hub-rings wont do any solution for rubbing, they are to eliminate vibration and make sure it sits on the center.
My guess is that you dont have the right offset for the wheels or something.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:01 PM   #4
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
I didn't need rings.

Offset would affect your wheels hitting the caliper or whatnot.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:35 PM   #5
00sleeper
GX Member

00sleeper is on a distinguished road
alright..thanks for the help, it's more of a wua wua wua like if a caliper were sticking when i brake. I put the stock 16s back on and the rub went away, i'll try a few different things..i mean i only paid 300 for them with 90% tread left on tires and there were velox i believe, never heard of them but i assume they should be ok.
00sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

AleroDrime has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to AleroDrime Send a message via MSN to AleroDrime
i was told special lug nuts were needed to used the different bolt pattern because theyre so close itll go on but the lug nuts wont tighten properly, someones with fancy tips r supposed to make them work fine
AleroDrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:08 PM   #7
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Tuner lug nuts are needed because typically the lug holes on the wheels are too thin for regular fat lug nuts to fit. Has nothing to do with this problem.

Also, this thread is old... not sure why newbies never look at dates. lol
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:54 PM   #8
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

it was at the top so i figured it was new my noob bad, anyway is bringing up old forums bad hello ya'll scream search button
Old 02-24-2009, 08:27 PM   #9
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
^ lol we scream search button for questions that have been answered already. if you actually have a new question (and you've confirmed it with the search button) feel free to start a new thread.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:42 PM   #10
mfuller

Even 5x115 wheels might need hub-centric rings, depending on the centerbore of the wheel (the large hole in the middle of the wheel).
So let's go over it one more time:
Your lugnuts (and wheel studs) are there for one reason, and one reason only - to hold the wheel onto the hub. That's it. The wheel studs are not meant to bear the stress of vehicle mass!!!!
The center of the hub is meant to support the weight. For this reason, the centerbore of the wheel must precisely fit your particular hub.
So, to maximize the potential number of vehicles a particular aftermarket wheel can fit, wheel manufacturers produce a wheel with 1 or 2 available centerbore sizes, and rely on hub-centric rings to "shim" the centerbore to fit the hub on the vehicle.
Now, 5x114.3 wheels have a different BCD, or bolt circle diameter. So ideally if you are hell-bent on using 5x114.3 wheels, you should use floating head lugnuts. These can be difficult to find, but basically, the lugnet has a floating head (lugnuts have either tapered or cone-shaped heads) that can adapt to a less-than-perfect lug circle.
Hope that makes sense.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:47 PM   #11
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

makes perfect sense to me. and to add...if you have even a slightest vibration, it means you don't have a snug wheel-to-hub fit. That vibration will cause the studs to break, and once one goes, it is not long before the rest come like dominoes.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:45 PM   #12
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

jesus i didnt need you to snatch my hand and walk me cross the street im not retarted thats common knowledge for any mod job, i just had read soeting aobut diffent lugs for a 114.3 to a 115 conversion
Old 02-24-2009, 10:28 PM   #13
Misuseofyou
GL Member

Misuseofyou is on a distinguished road
You're giving me too much information! eff you for helping!

/sarcasm

Retarted?
Misuseofyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:37 PM   #14
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleroRacing View Post
it was at the top so i figured it was new my noob bad, anyway is bringing up old forums bad hello ya'll scream search button

Yea, because were tired of all these new people coming on and asking the same question that has been answered 12,349 times already
Old 02-25-2009, 12:39 AM   #15
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

better than pop-tarted??
Old 02-27-2009, 08:41 AM   #16
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleroRacing View Post
jesus i didnt need you to snatch my hand and walk me cross the street im not retarted thats common knowledge for any mod job, i just had read soeting aobut diffent lugs for a 114.3 to a 115 conversion
I'm not really sure what that was all about, or what's common knowledge for a mod job...

..but you don't need special lugs for 114.3 wheels. It's off by 7 tenths of a millimeter...you couldn't even measure that, it'll fit just fine on a 115mm Alero hub. You'll just need the tuner lugs like Ion mentioned since the stock nuts won't fit into most aftermarket wheels.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:11 PM   #17
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

hey i think rings would only be need if the bore on the rim was bigger then 70.3 aint that right