Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 12-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
@mgaw23
GX Member

@mgaw23 has a reputation beyond repute@mgaw23 has a reputation beyond repute@mgaw23 has a reputation beyond repute@mgaw23 has a reputation beyond repute@mgaw23 has a reputation beyond repute@mgaw23 has a reputation beyond repute@mgaw23 has a reputation beyond repute@mgaw23 has a reputation beyond repute@mgaw23 has a reputation beyond repute@mgaw23 has a reputation beyond repute@mgaw23 has a reputation beyond repute
sub no amp?

i would like to add a little 6.5 inch sub in my car i would like to add it with my 2 6x9s on the rear deck? help me out oh and i dont wana run a amp but if i do i dont wana run a power off my battery

2003 alero 2.2 ecotec tinted windows, cold air intake, strut bar, full pacesetter exhaust, HID lights, grill mesh, brembro brakes, kicker l7, chipped and more but looking for more mods i would like to keep my car luxury, clean and a head turner.
i do auto detailing so my car is always spotless [SIGPIC]
@mgaw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:25 AM   #2
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
You need an amp to drive a sub woofer I'm pretty sure.. I've never heard of any application in which you didn't need some sort of amplification.

Also why wouldn't you want to run the power off the battery? I have 2 12" subs running off the stock 3400 electrical system... the Ecotec charging system can easily power a 6.5" sub. Getting a separate power source isn't worth the time or money.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
Greencoupe2.2
GX Member

Greencoupe2.2 is on a distinguished road
why not just repace your deck and your rear speakers at that point, i have a kenwood deck, no amps and kicker 6x9's in the rear and they still bump pretty hard, the factory delco speakers are shit anyway
Greencoupe2.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
You are going to need an amp, and a line output converter.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
brickkk
GX Member

brickkk is on a distinguished road
you can just connect red on positive and black on negative if you dotn want an amp but you will blow you sub pretty fast with no amps and it wont make good sound at all , and how would you want to power the amp if not from the battery ?

fyi : i am rocking 3 12 inch with a 1000w rms amp on stock battery and electrical system with absolutly no problems , i need to run the car to listen to it tho
Old 12-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Do your lights dim? Might help if you added a capacitor.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post

Flux capacitor? I heard they work great!
Old 12-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #8
DJx79x
GX Member

DJx79x has a reputation beyond reputeDJx79x has a reputation beyond reputeDJx79x has a reputation beyond reputeDJx79x has a reputation beyond reputeDJx79x has a reputation beyond reputeDJx79x has a reputation beyond reputeDJx79x has a reputation beyond reputeDJx79x has a reputation beyond reputeDJx79x has a reputation beyond reputeDJx79x has a reputation beyond reputeDJx79x has a reputation beyond repute
I had 2 12's without an amp for like 3 months and they were fine and my lights used to dim aswell but I wouldn't recommend it its definitely better to have an amp
DJx79x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:48 AM   #9
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by billytheman1188 View Post
Flux capacitor? I heard they work great!

Yeah, basically like a second battery holds a charge then jolts it to the power system when it senses the car needs it.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #10
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
The only subs I know of that don't require any sort of amp are the Bazooka subs. Those, you simply hook up to the battery or the remote turn on lead IIRC and you'll need the RCA cables for them. The only thing about Bazooka subs is that they don't hit hard because they're in a "NOS" bottle looking tube. It's better to get a sub box, and get the 10/12s to get a nice thumping sound system.

Also for the record, our cars can handle up to 2 gauge pretty well. I have a Boston Acoustics amp that's pushing out 900 watts RMS to 2 12 Alpines. They thump really hard and don't drain the battery. That amp uses a 4 gauge wiring set up.

Truthfully, go for it. You'll be glad you did. Also, use your resources. I have a system in my car that's nothing but savings. Only spent $500 on the whole thing. A big chunk of that was the amp, but the amp I have is worth $400 alone. I got it more than half off brand new online hahaha
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #11
short_circutz
GX Member

short_circutz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post

Capacitors are the biggest rip off brought out for auto sound.

If you need or desire more reserve power, you're better off to use a motorcycle battery instead, or other similar sized battery. Use the largest conductors you can for the amp's current draw to prevent current loss through cabling resistance.
short_circutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #12
sleepyalero
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by short_circutz View Post
Capacitors are the biggest rip off brought out for auto sound.

If you need or desire more reserve power, you're better off to use a motorcycle battery instead, or other similar sized battery. Use the largest conductors you can for the amp's current draw to prevent current loss through cabling resistance.

How? You get one with many ferrets it does well, tons of people use them.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #13
short_circutz
GX Member

short_circutz is on a distinguished road
You can get a longer duration of additional current to your amplifier from an auxiliary battery than you can a capacitor.
short_circutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #14
sleepyalero
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by short_circutz View Post
You can get a longer duration of additional current to your amplifier from an auxiliary battery than you can a capacitor.

I will 90% agree with that because seeing the digital reader on one fluctuate a lot while playing subs.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote: